PDA

View Full Version : "supersize me"

TalonVelocity
05-28-2004, 12:10 PM
New documentary, comes out tonight. About a guy who eats McDonald's 3 days a week in this Michael Moore-ish documentary. At the end of the month he gains 25lbs, his liver fails, and he has lost all sexual drive. Only playing at the Garneau Theatre for you Edmontonians, looks really good.

QuasarCav
05-28-2004, 12:42 PM
It's in the uptown (i think) in calgary, I might check it out.

roopi
05-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Are you sure it is 3 days a week? I thought they said it was everday for 1 month??? :dunno:

Akagi Redsuns
05-28-2004, 12:46 PM
It is 3 times a day for a month. Saw it on Wednesday at the Uptown.

sputnik
05-28-2004, 12:47 PM
www.supersizeme.com

:D

TalonVelocity
05-28-2004, 02:28 PM
yes sorry 3 times a day, for 30 days, lol

roopi
05-28-2004, 02:32 PM
How could you eat that 3 times a day. :barf:

QuasarCav
05-28-2004, 02:39 PM
It's reverse willpower, you must really want to eat it after a few days.

I worked at Mc's a few years ago and i could stomach it 3 meals a day but I was 15.

D'z Nutz
05-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Oh man, I hope it's some sort of social commentary on how unhealthy fast food can be or how the general American public can get so fat and not some stunt for cheap laughs like Jackass.

I am sort of interested in seeing it, even though the idea sickens me.

ZCracer
05-28-2004, 02:55 PM
I worked with a guy last summer that had a thousand dollar bet with another guy that he could eat nothing but fast food for a month and still be able to run 15k. At the end of the month the guy had put on thirty pounds and threw up then passed out after running about 5K. The next day he went to the Dr. and turns out he had done a lot of damage to his body ( liver, kidneys etc.) and was put into the hospital for a few nights so they could get some nutrients into him through IV. Long story short, going from 140 pounds soaking wet to a hefty 170 in a month=bad idea. The only good new was the guy he had a bet with felt so sorry for him he didn’t collect on the bet.

Cyruss12
05-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by ZCracer
I worked with a guy last summer that had a thousand dollar bet with another guy that he could eat nothing but fast food for a month and still be able to run 15k. At the end of the month the guy had put on thirty pounds and threw up then passed out after running about 5K. The next day he went to the Dr. and turns out he had done a lot of damage to his body ( liver, kidneys etc.) and was put into the hospital for a few nights so they could get some nutrients into him through IV. Long story short, going from 140 pounds soaking wet to a hefty 170 in a month=bad idea. The only good new was the guy he had a bet with felt so sorry for him he didn’t collect on the bet.

haha fuck that i'd make em pay up.

sexualbanana
05-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by TalonVelocity
he has lost all sexual drive.

Fuck, that explains it. :dunno:

Akagi Redsuns
05-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Oh man, I hope it's some sort of social commentary on how unhealthy fast food can be or how the general American public can get so fat and not some stunt for cheap laughs like Jackass.

I am sort of interested in seeing it, even though the idea sickens me.

It is a good documentary about how unhealthy fast food is, how big the portions are, and the problems it creates. Strings together some decents points about how McDonalds does target kids along with other companies (like breakfast cereal companies), the way they are fed at schools, impact on health and whatnots. Not bad, and not for cheap laughs like Jackass type shows are. Of course to drive home this point, it is a biased, but still a good show. Has a definate Micheal Moore type feel to it, but it is more on a personal level since it does focus on your health. Good job by Morgan on this film.

hockeybronx
06-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Where exactly in Calgary is 'The Uptown'?

Akagi Redsuns
06-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
Where exactly in Calgary is 'The Uptown'?

Downtown, exact address is 612 - 8th Avenue SW , phone #265-0120

Wildcat
06-02-2004, 10:11 PM
They dont have the "super-size" option in the states anymore because of this film, so ive heard.

Kamen
06-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Really? Wow...well you'd think eating so much of it would fuck you over...common sense...?

I could stomache it 3 times a week...definately not 3 times a day 30 days straight...:barf:

CKY
06-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Kamen
Really? Wow...well you'd think eating so much of it would fuck you over...common sense...?

I could stomache it 3 times a week...definately not 3 times a day 30 days straight...:barf:

i'd be suprised if i can even 3 times a day it for 5 days

Dave P
06-02-2004, 11:21 PM
I think the only purpose fast food has is, on the way home from the bar, or when you need grease as your hung over as fuck. Other then that. Nothing good comes from it

A_3
06-02-2004, 11:31 PM
^ ahahahhahah soooooo true, nothing like Mcdicks during a good hang over!!!

^SkylinE^
06-03-2004, 02:37 AM
Awsome movie this is a must see. HAHA I WILL NEVER EAT MCDicks again!:rofl:

PGTze
06-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
I think the only purpose fast food has is, on the way home from the bar, or when you need grease as your hung over as fuck. Other then that. Nothing good comes from it

Haha, very true, good thing wendy's is open late , so you can eat geat (:rolleyes:), even late! :rofl:

SI-vic
06-03-2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by PGTze

Haha, very true, good thing wendy's is open late , so you can eat geat (:rolleyes:), even late! :rofl:

some Wendy's Drive-Thru is only open till 11 or midnight
hahaha thats not even late....
I've only been to 1 late drive-thru, it was about 2am on a Friday on 32nd Ave.

But the one on 16th across C.O.P and the one in Crowfoot closes early.

403Gemini
06-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Fuck, that explains it. :dunno:

lol no kidding hey!

MM99lude
06-03-2004, 11:29 AM
hah this movie is amazing... i think i laughed out loud at least 10 times. Its really eye opening and hilarious.

I suggest everyone see's it.

"Not only are we the fattest country in the world, we are quickly become the stupidest too..."

Gold

PhenomSE
06-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Does he atleast get variety? Or the same Big Mac meals every meal??

Kobe
06-09-2004, 09:39 PM
how much does the movie cost, might have 2 go see it tommorow...

hockeybronx
06-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

:werd: Goin to see it tommorow!

Akagi Redsuns
06-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by PhenomSE
Does he atleast get variety? Or the same Big Mac meals every meal??

He gave himself some rules. One of them is that he has to have one of everything that is offered in the menu, so it's not always Big Macs.

Xtrema
06-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

To watch or to make?

He spedn $65KUS of his own money for this. So far it has made $6.5M is box office, should pass $10M when the whole thing is over.

Dave P
06-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Its 9 bucks to see it.

Awsome movie.

The best part of the movie is when the go into detail how bad soft drinks are for you. You can see like 30 people in the theater put down there pop haha

GOOD STUFF :thumbsup:

TalonVelocity
06-10-2004, 09:50 PM
hahaha where they're talking about kids and positive experiences at McDonald's and hes like "every time I take my kids past McDonald's I'm gonna punch them in the face"

hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Kamen
06-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Ahhh I want to see this now!! How long is it?
Chronicles of Riddick might have to wait hehehe

hockeybronx
06-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Just saw it tonight at Uptown, it's an hour and a half.

Good movie I thought. Really makes you think about what you are putting in your body.

It also shows many true consequences of eating that shit such as "surge and crash" energy waves, mood swings, and abnormal palpations.

Theres got to be a way for us to find time to eat proper food, places such as Subway are better I think but maybe nothing can replace the nutrition of home cooked meals.

I definetely think the thing most people lack is fruits and vegetables. 5-10 a day is somewhat impossible for many.

GTS Jeff
06-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
They dont have the "super-size" option in the states anymore because of this film, so ive heard. actually i havent seen the supersize option lately at the local mcdicks either. i think its just called large now.

Dave P
06-11-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
actually i havent seen the supersize option lately at the local mcdicks either. i think its just called large now.

True that.

The supersize in the states was unreal. So sick. was 1.8L of pop, and half a pound of fries.

I mean, I like my food, but thats fuckin sick

accordboi_02
06-11-2004, 09:47 AM

True that.

The supersize in the states was unreal. So sick. was 1.8L of pop, and half a pound of fries.

I mean, I like my food, but thats fuckin sick
:werd:

When I was in Vegas last year, we stopped to get some food before hitting the tables again, so off to McDicks we went. I figured it was same as Canada so got it supersized, but the fries and drink were HUGE it was gross; as soon as I saw how much shit they gave you I was like "no wonder they're all fat down here" :barf: :barf:

VWhooligan
06-11-2004, 04:15 PM
i saw this movie and it was really gross the shit that was happening to him.

i didnt eat mcdonalds after that.

... for 2 days.

Akagi Redsuns
06-11-2004, 04:28 PM
I never ate at McDonalds for some years before I saw this movie and not planning to start. I can't stand their burgers, heavily salted fries and the whole "I'm luv'n it " campaign. Mind you I eat at other fast food places like Wendy's and Harvey's every once in a while when I am too lazy and cheap to go elsewhere

hockeybronx
06-12-2004, 12:52 AM
It's pretty interesting because even though McDonalds was primarily targetted by this documentary they aren't the only ones causing this to happen.

Almost any other fast food resteraunt is just as bad, not to mention what kids get in schools in the United States and also what they buy at convenience stores.

rage2
06-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Being able to stomach 3 meals of McD's a day all depends on a person's metabolism. Back in my early 20's when I weighed a whopping 120lbs (I'm 6ft 2in tall remember), I used to eat DQ's for every meal. In fact, my monthly tab at the DQ's beside my office was close to $1000. I had a tab there, that's how sad it was. I didn't gain a pound.

In my mid-late 20's, my metabolism changed hardcore. If I ate like a pig, I'd gain 10lbs in a month easy. I watch my diet carefully now, making sure I don't eat too much. If I tried my DQ diet from back then, I'd probably gain 100lbs pretty damn quick and die haha.

Point is, one person eating McD's 3x a day gets super fat, super unhealthy... another person (ie skinny chinese dude) with the same diet would not be affected at all.

08-29-2004, 11:18 PM
I just got back from seeing that movie and it was really good! I dont eat that much junk food but after seeing that I dont know if I will be eating any at all. Everyone should go see it! Alot of interesting facts!!:thumbsup:

cujo_cjc
08-29-2004, 11:22 PM
ya my cousin saw it and hasn't been eating junk food lots lately
where can i see this?

GQBalla
08-29-2004, 11:26 PM
can i rent this movie?? i heard nothing but pretty good movie from people!

Shaolin
08-29-2004, 11:37 PM
i saw the movie.. and went out to buy some supersize fries..

entertaining movie for sure. I eat mcdonalds about 5 times a month.

Ben
08-30-2004, 01:03 AM
Merged

Khyron
10-11-2004, 02:29 AM
Hrm - I thought I'd bump this up with an interesting counter-point.

http://www.bowlingformorgan.com/ (Traffic pretty busy, might have to refresh if no page load)

It's a pretty well done 30 minute internet documentary where another guy goes on the 30 day McDonalds diet (3 meals a day) and loses 20 pounds, lowers his cholesterol and basically shocks his doctor. He still has fries and stuff (not all the time), but also eats lots of salads.

The point was that Morgan basically overate, and the stress of making a movie on 65G in 30 days was more likely the cause of his stress/sleep problems than the food.

Best line: "Have you ever been a victim of 2nd hand obesity?"

Khyron

WhiteNikes
10-11-2004, 05:23 AM
f' those at the U of C that ain't seen it yet, it's playin on the quick.

dj_rice
10-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Yeah lol just watched that the other weekend, the US McDicks had delivery lol...

But it was weird how they had like 5 sizes..where we only have maybe 4?They had small, medium, large,extra large and supersize?

I've changed my eating habits after watching this cuz I dont wanna dieeeeeeeeee fat

ryder_23
10-11-2004, 09:55 PM
For some reason, i had severe cravings for mcdonalds after...i went and ate mcdonalds, and then felt like shit...WTF, its all propaganda :rofl:

this had made me realise how truly bad fast food is for you, especially seeing some of his results

Shaolin
10-11-2004, 09:59 PM
i went and bought supersized fries after the movie.. still eat them today.. but then again i don't eat much mcdonalds anyways.

BloodBaneZXY
10-11-2004, 11:20 PM
I don't see how this was such an eye-opener for people, I really don't. If you're required to watch someone eat Fast Food for 30 days to see the effects and have it actually surprise you, I feel sorry for your idiocy. Given that he did experience SUCH drastic and unhealthy changes, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have expected that anyways. If you want living proof walk into any fast food restaurant and look around at the huge number of slobs filling their face with grease. No offense to anyone, but anyone that gets turned off fast food solely because of this movie needs to get themselves checked..or at least that's my 2 cents

Singel
10-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY
I don't see how this was such an eye-opener for people, I really don't. If you're required to watch someone eat Fast Food for 30 days to see the effects and have it actually surprise you, I feel sorry for your idiocy. Given that he did experience SUCH drastic and unhealthy changes, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have expected that anyways. If you want living proof walk into any fast food restaurant and look around at the huge number of slobs filling their face with grease. No offense to anyone, but anyone that gets turned off fast food solely because of this movie needs to get themselves checked..or at least that's my 2 cents

You have too much faith in people. It can be an addiction for some people, and what may seem like common sense to you isn't necessarily for a lot of other people...especially those less educated. The main reason I don't eat fast food much is the $$$....I'd rather get a 5.95 big ass pasta from Chianti's because I won't shit half of it out half an hour later, and let the other half make my stomach feel like shit. McD's target's lower income people (Inferior good, economics is paying off) because they are generally stupid and less responsible with their money and health. McD's keeps those people poor, these people don't know that to save money and get richer in life you can't eat out all the time...that would seem like common sense to me, but not necessarily to them, who might have the perception that richer people go out for a steak every night. The best example of this is that stupid add where the dumbass kid goes from the Benz dealership, to like a new Ford dealership, and ends up buying a POS for $500 bucks..."I got these wheels cuz i been eating McDeals"...That's actually very true, although they make it seem like he's saved a shit load of money from eating at McDonald's every day and can afford a car, when in reality, if he went to a grocery store and cooked his own shit he'd be able to afford the Benz (Maybe a bit of a stretch), and not have the McD's staff push him through the driveway (I don't really think those 300 pound bitches that work in actual McDonald's could do that without a heart attack.

@ Rage2, you're probly a very rare exception, dude in the film was in pretty good shape to start with, probly around 1% of the people are like you who can eat it all day and not have similar effects.

And all the blame shouldn't fall on McD's, but they are the biggest and baddest, and pretty much the benchmark for the industry.

Good movie, anyone seen the extras on the DVD, The smoking Fry thing was pretty sick...I dunno what wanted me to puke more, the way the burgers and real fries decomposed, or how the damn McD's fries stayed exactly the same for 2 months.

Dave P
10-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Anyone see the dvd special features, where the fries stayed the same a few months after he bought them?

Jassie
10-12-2004, 08:42 PM
We still have Supersize options where I live. Either way, McDonalds is gross, so are all the other fast food places, everytime you eat something from them, you can feel the grease sitting on your stomache, ew.

I think it's kind of sad that watching a movie about how discusting fast food is, is an eye opener and makes people re-think their whole eating habbits, like you didn't know it was bad for you before?

Neil4Speed
10-12-2004, 10:25 PM
I never feel to good after eating McDonalds either. I have no idea why but it just doesn't digest well. Actually.. I do know why, its not very high quality food.

It was pretty crazy when the 3rd day in he Vomited. At that point I knew it would be a long movie, I am glad he was able to stomach it after.

I guess I watched that movie when I was hungry or something cause I was kinda craving a quarter pounder after watching it. :dunno:

88CRX
10-12-2004, 10:35 PM
good rental :thumbsup:

ninjak84
10-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY
I don't see how this was such an eye-opener for people, I really don't.

I agree.
What did everyone expect to happen?

"Hey maybe if I drink a bottle of whisky every day, my liver will fail."
Does someone need to make a documentary on booze for the alcoholics to snap out of it? Probably wouldn't do much good, since I bet NOT A SINGLE obese person changed their habits because of this movie! :rofl:

awd
10-13-2004, 11:48 AM
http://img96.exs.cx/img96/1121/mcown3d.jpg

2jzgte
10-13-2004, 12:37 PM
I was watching this today in gym class, Did you know that the supersize in american is way bigger then the one in canada?

QuasarCav
10-13-2004, 12:59 PM
It's like twice the size.

A supersized Yankee meal is A half pound of fries and a quart (946ml) of pop.

Thats enough to make you crazy:nut:

Singel
10-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Does someone need to make a documentary on booze for the alcoholics to snap out of it? Probably wouldn't do much good, since I bet NOT A SINGLE obese person changed their habits because of this movie! :rofl:

I bet it changed a bunch of people's habits. You wonder why they got that way and addicted to that shit? Because they're easily influenced by the media/advertisements. Why would they be less influenced by this than any McD's ad?

Team_Mclaren
10-13-2004, 04:11 PM
haha how did i miss this thread...:dunno:

well i work at MCD! as a part time manager.. so i get all my food for free.... been working there for over 3 years... not a damn pound gained... still skinny as hell.

During the summer, i ate there for lunch and dinner... simply because their all free.. certain stuff i dont eat tho.. like fish filet.
anyway, still didnt gain noth:banghead: :banghead: but after a week or two it does starts to get sick of it, but we kinda find our own way to make food to keep the interest up:D

my point is being, it really does depend on the person, like me for example, eating extreme amount of fast food for sooooo long, still hasnt change a bit.

and really they arent as sick as u would think... not much different from moxies or whatever..... as long as their fresh of course

Barking_Spidre
10-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Anyone see the dvd special features, where the fries stayed the same a few months after he bought them?

Ya I watched it, that was so disgusting. Everything was becoming a liquid and covered in white moss and mold... But the fries were still perfect. :eek:

And right before I watched it, I had 2 supersized fries, a big mac and supersized coke.. Yum Yum.

kiwi
10-13-2004, 10:52 PM
This movie will be playing at UC on Nov. 29th :tongue:

http://www.su.ucalgary.ca/40.0.html

GQBalla
10-28-2004, 11:51 PM
i just rented this movie and its pretty good! it was disgusting when he ordered the supersize and puked it all up on the 2nd day! AHHAH

MenteL
10-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
haha how did i miss this thread...:dunno:

well i work at MCD! as a part time manager.. so i get all my food for free.... been working there for over 3 years... not a damn pound gained... still skinny as hell.

During the summer, i ate there for lunch and dinner... simply because their all free.. certain stuff i dont eat tho.. like fish filet.
anyway, still didnt gain noth:banghead: :banghead: but after a week or two it does starts to get sick of it, but we kinda find our own way to make food to keep the interest up:D

my point is being, it really does depend on the person, like me for example, eating extreme amount of fast food for sooooo long, still hasnt change a bit.

and really they arent as sick as u would think... not much different from moxies or whatever..... as long as their fresh of course Where do youwork? Can you give a fellow beyonder a discount? :)

rage2
10-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Singel
@ Rage2, you're probly a very rare exception, dude in the film was in pretty good shape to start with, probly around 1% of the people are like you who can eat it all day and not have similar effects.
Nah, I think it works for 90% of all asians... basically all the skinny ones haha. The guy in supersize me most likely can only take in very little calories each day in order not to gain weight (most white folks), so a 3x a day McD's diet messed him up good.

Like I said, now that I'm older, and my metabolism has changed, I can totally see weight changes based on my diet. I miss my old days of pigging out and eating anything I want.

Mckenzie
10-29-2004, 11:48 PM
I just saw it tonight.

Not really an eye opener....I lnw that stuff is bad but I think his results suprised me.

After going to Florida for 3 weeks and being around Americans all that time, all I can say is they are the fattest and most unhealthiest people I have ever seen....it gives meaning to the word 'cankles' ie; ankles that have turned into calves....nasty:barf:

Kobe
10-29-2004, 11:53 PM
I watched it 11 days ago, hehe, no mcdoanlds since then, i had wendys once, and subway 3 times, But i would usally go to mcdonalds about 7 / 10 days it was pretty bad, hahaha, i can't lie, i feel alot better :O