PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Kits Vs Building ur own Turbo

Preludeboy
09-01-2004, 01:48 AM
so i see all these turbo kits u can get from greddy, rev hard, etc etc
and i was just wondering what are the pros and cons to already put together turbo kits and building your own turbo ??
im still trying to find out more and learn more bout force induction, so excuse my lack of knowledge...
:)

ryder_23
09-01-2004, 01:50 AM
From what i've heard, it can be cheaper to build your own..

But i too am curious to hear the pros vs cons of building your own, or buying a complete kit.

Of course you have to weigh in, if the parts you buy to "build" your own kit are new vs the new parts from greddy etc...

Cause used, u can do it cheaper, but run the risk of being problems with Turbo, manifold, etc...

Preludeboy
09-01-2004, 01:52 AM
yah thats the thing i am concerned with too, is things going wrong
cause u see a greddy or rev hard kit for a 01 prelude and is about 6000$ cdn
and since im not the richest guy out there i would wanna know which would be better for me to do

MM99lude
09-01-2004, 01:58 AM
you can build your own turbo kit for WAY cheaper then buying the Greddy or Rev hard one. If u want it all in one and dont mind spending the extra cash go for a kit. But u can still piece together a great kit on your own.

Preludeboy
09-01-2004, 02:00 AM
on a side note: how did ur exhaust go MM99Lude ??
u never got back to me about it

buh_buh
09-01-2004, 02:01 AM
You don't have to spend that much.
I spent like $4000 on my Maxrev kit and made pretty decent power, and its very reliable as well.

Preludeboy
09-01-2004, 02:09 AM
Buh_buh: how much power did u gain from it, and what mods do u have so far on ur ride ?

MM99lude
09-01-2004, 02:15 AM
^^^ I actually ended up keeping it cuz the one i was looking at fell through and this one is good if i fo FI!

Preludeboy
09-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Ohh well thats good to hear everything worked out well...
i actually planned my trip too hahaha
damn u
so whats new on ur lude ??
mine has been going down hill !!!!

buh_buh
09-01-2004, 02:20 AM
well I gained 140whp from my setup, and its a stock bottom end. So pretty much just the turbo kit, 3" exhaust, and fuel management.

shadowz
09-01-2004, 02:22 AM
It really depends, if a prefab kit is cheap and good qualty good stuff, but if you wanted big power of course you will need to have things custom made to your specifications, but making your own is also good for cheap power pending on how big you go. But some people dont want to bother and buy a turbo kit. Nothing wrong with either

Preludeboy
09-01-2004, 02:33 AM
the reason i dont wanna build my own is from the lack of lack of knowledge (yes i did say it twice to reinforce my point) lol
cuz i dont know what to buy what fits etc etc

buh_buh
09-01-2004, 02:46 AM
If you don't know what your doing, your better off with a kit.

Weapon_R
09-01-2004, 02:50 AM
A kit has everything you'll need to install. You just buy and install in most cases.

A custom kit is usually better, however, as you can pick the best parts and piece them together. Its harder to do, however, because you need to find all of the parts separately and then fabricate them to work together.

A custom kit has its advantages though - cheaper (usually), the parts are usually better, and the fuel management can be better.

Preludeboy
09-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Hmmmm now all i need is a trustworthy place in Edmonton to do the custom work.....

Weapon_R
09-01-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Preludeboy
Hmmmm now all i need is a trustworthy place in Edmonton to do the custom work.....

That doesn't exist.

Come to Calgary to have someone do it right.

ryder_23
09-01-2004, 03:12 AM
Trustworthy edmonton .... what an oxymoron...

Just joking

Anyways. When did you plan on doing the turbo? You can easily come down to calgary, and i'm sure people will help you out down here. Plus lots of places to get tuning done down here.. :thumbsup:

And if not, just check with some fellow edmontonr's on this board who might know of someone to help ya out

legendboy
09-01-2004, 08:18 AM
As said above, with a custom kit you can hand pick all the peices you want. Generally with my custom kits, you get more value for your money. You spend the same, but get way nicer stuff.

Aleks
09-01-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
As said above, with a custom kit you can hand pick all the peices you want. Generally with my custom kits, you get more value for your money. You spend the same, but get way nicer stuff.

^ Check PM please

Kartelli
09-01-2004, 09:08 AM
its like building a computer... you can buy one from futureshop or best buy... or buy all the individual parts to ensure a quality product

89coupe
09-01-2004, 10:51 AM
My friend did his own kit for his 00 Civic SIR and it cost him around $2500.00 in total. This included a brand new EVO biggest turbo (good for 400hp), FMIC, upgraded injectors, custom manifold & flanges, mandrel bent piping and silicone hoses, BOV, air filter, boost controller & SMC. He gained about 100hp.

djfob
09-01-2004, 11:28 AM
the reason i dont wanna build my own is from the lack of lack of knowledge (yes i did say it twice to reinforce my point) lol
cuz i dont know what to buy what fits etc etc

By putting together your own kit you will learn alot more than you would buying a kit. I never knew what I was doing at first but by talkin to a few people and doin alot of reasearch I put together my own kit and installed it myself.

Preludeboy
09-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Wowies, well for 2500$ thats a really good price..
im thinkin i can spend 3000$
and calgary isnt too far for me to drive down to get it done there....
so any places u ppl recommend ?

LUDELVR
09-01-2004, 05:58 PM
I spent under 1300 (mind you I had a lot of buying and selling to do to get to this number...I also had a few gifts from the GF haha) The gifts were things like extra gauges though so whatever. Anyway, it REALLY REALLY helps if you know people that can hook you up! ;) ;) My final kit wouldn't be possible for that price if I didn't have some good hookups!:thumbsup:

Preludeboy
09-01-2004, 06:13 PM
man i wish i had a gf that is as generous as urs hahaha
whats ur set up ?

Primer_Drift
09-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Buying turbo'ing parts is like drinking at the bar..the more you buy the less you (want to) remember what you've spent.

LUDELVR
09-01-2004, 11:09 PM
man i wish i had a gf that is as generous as urs hahaha
whats ur set up ?

H22a1,
legendboy log style manny
t3/t04e turbocharger
dsm 450 injectors
Mac truck Intercooler
HKS "style" bov
a bunch of autometer gauges and stuff
custom charge piping
uberdata on a p28.

rice_eater
09-02-2004, 08:17 AM
i think that the best thing about building your own is that you can set up the system to your specific engine setup and your specific needs and tune it accordingly

finboy
09-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
My final kit wouldn't be possible for that price if I didn't have some good hookups!:thumbsup:

:werd:

hookups are good to have, thats how i got my fresh hybrid for $450 and rebuilt motor for $500 :thumbsup:

LUDELVR
09-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by finboy

:werd:

hookups are good to have, thats how i got my fresh hybrid for $450 and rebuilt motor for $500 :thumbsup:

Oh fo sho!! haha, I have to thank a long list of people for my hookups!

Huge shout out to:

Legendboy for his welding expertise, his countless hours helping me put shit together and diagnose problems

Rage2 for his madd tuning skills! Did I say tuning, fuck that, base maps are all you need ;) hahaha :rofl:

Other shoutouts to:
Ed the SOHC for use of his garage (and mom)
shadowz for a ton of shit and putting up with my phone calls
Finboy for the intercooler core
BuhBuh, cocoabrova, CRXguy and anyone else who allowed me to estimate my 1/4 mile times! ;)
And all my boys for the constant umm...technical (I guess) support haha
and prolly a bunch more but the damn kimchi is affecting my memory!!:thumbsdow :barf:

finboy
09-02-2004, 10:20 AM
lesson for the day, get to know as many people as you can in your local car scene :thumbsup:

pressure_ratio
09-02-2004, 08:22 PM
the thing that I've noticed is that a lot of the kit manufacturers is that they don't allow a lot of room to upgrade.the turbos are on the small side,manifolds are not the greatest design,and fuel managment isn't always the best(fmu).You get what you pay for,mostly a brand name.A custom kit will always be cheaper and better for the money you spend.Best of all at least if you lift your hood you can say its custom and not the same as the kit the guy next to you has.:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
09-02-2004, 08:26 PM
A custom kit is never necessarily cheaper. It's sometimes more expensive.

The thing is, when you do it piece by piece, you pick and choose the best possible parts within your budget. You aren't paying to have someone else do it for you.