PDA

View Full Version : Legal Questions about Modding a Car

Pihsiak
09-01-2004, 02:35 AM
I don't have much money and I want to lease a car.

If I choose to do that then I have the extra spending cash to do some simple cosmetic mods and maybe some stuff under the hood.

Of course some of these maybe bolt on, but there are gonna be some other stuff that requires totally removing it or welding.

But like I said, it's going to be a lease. Will they take the car back after the lease is over? or will they force me to buy it out?

dasdin
09-01-2004, 02:39 AM
ud hAVE to part it out if u wanted to return it, if u intend on not buying out just dont do anything irreversible and keep the stock parts

Gonthro
09-01-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by dasdin
ud hAVE to part it out if u wanted to return it, if u intend on not buying out just dont do anything irreversible and keep the stock parts

i dont think thats true, but if the stock parts arn't there i can almost gaurnetee it will lower the value of the car and they may make you pay some amount to compensate for the lowered resale value.

ZorroAMG
09-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Man, that's like modding a car you rented from Budget or Hertz. You don't own the car, what makes you think modding it will be ok? Finance the car if you want to mod it. :rolleyes:

hjr
09-01-2004, 11:12 AM
how about this, you dont have much money, so a brand new car maybe isnt the right choice for you...

googe
09-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Man, that's like modding a car you rented from Budget or Hertz. You don't own the car, what makes you think modding it will be ok? Finance the car if you want to mod it. :rolleyes:

isnt rages slk on a lease? granted the stuff hes mentioned should be easily removeable, theres still nothing wrong with modding a leased vehicle.

Gonthro
09-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by googe

isnt rages slk on a lease? granted the stuff hes mentioned should be easily removeable, theres still nothing wrong with modding a leased vehicle. IF you have full intentions of buying it out.

googe
09-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro
IF you have full intentions of buying it out.

which he once said he doesnt...

no need to buy it out if you have intentions of unbolting your mods. do mods that are easily reversible, easy enough.

ZorroAMG
09-01-2004, 11:50 AM
yes, but it's one thing to do TOP QUALITY expensive high performance mods like Rage and his SLK that will help sell a vehicle and it's another to do little bolt ons and cosmetic mods that wont be everyone's taste and reduce the saleability of the car....come on, common sense there

googe
09-01-2004, 12:06 PM
yes, but it's one thing to do TOP QUALITY expensive high performance mods like Rage and his SLK that will help sell a vehicle and it's another to do little bolt ons and cosmetic mods that wont be everyone's taste and reduce the saleability of the car....come on, common sense there

well sure, i can agree with that, but thats nothing close to what you just said :P

Man, that's like modding a car you rented from Budget or Hertz. You don't own the car, what makes you think modding it will be ok? Finance the car if you want to mod it.

max_boost
09-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Man, that's like modding a car you rented from Budget or Hertz. You don't own the car, what makes you think modding it will be ok? Finance the car if you want to mod it. :rolleyes: I mod ALL my cars, even supercharged one of them too! :rofl:

Pihsiak, I suggest you don't cut or weld anything. If you leased an Integra and put a JDM front end on it, I don't think dealers would be too impressed :rofl: Stick to mods that you can easily remove and return to stock. Otherwise, find mods that closely resemble the OEM options available for the car.

You will most likely have to buyout the car at the end of the term or sell it to a third party.

rage2
09-01-2004, 01:19 PM
My SLK 320 had lowering springs installed. I returned it with the lowering springs installed. Also had the SLK 32 wing installed, same thing, stayed on the car.

googe
09-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by rage2
My SLK 320 had lowering springs installed. I returned it with the lowering springs installed. Also had the SLK 32 wing installed, same thing, stayed on the car.

You gave it back already?

rage2
09-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Yes, I returned the SLK 320 early this year. I still have the SLK 32.

googe
09-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Yes, I returned the SLK 320 early this year. I still have the SLK 32.

Oh, gotcha. Thought you meant you gave back both, and its not mentioned in your "What I drive" I just noticed, so I wasnt sure :)