PDA

View Full Version : Need a place to get valve seals and piston rings done

civicluva
09-01-2004, 11:49 AM
I just called the dealership and they want $1800 for the piston rings and $900 for the damn seals. What the fuck? I can get a whole new engine jammed in for that price!

Anyone know where I can get these fixed up for like under a thousand bucks?

Thanks

rage2
09-01-2004, 12:00 PM
You might as well get a whole new engine. Replacing piston rings isn't exactly an easy job. Remove engine, disassemble engine, hone block, reassemble engine, install engine. Add valve seals to the job, and it's even pricier.

Remove engine, install used motor, probably the cheapest way to go. Don't Civic DX motors sell for like $200?

civicluva
09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
yea that's what I thought, I was thinking of sticking with my current engine though since its already turbocharged and stuff but I think a swap would probably work out to be the best.

Weapon_R
09-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Even most backyard mechanics won't do the job for less than buying a whole new engine.

I just saw a civic engine for $300 obo. Hell, some people get rid of them for $150.

Add $250 for install, and you should have an easy and cheap repair.

atomic
09-01-2004, 02:14 PM
u have to remove the engine in a civic to remove pistons?

civicluva
09-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by atomic
u have to remove the engine in a civic to remove pistons?

Well they are deep under there. As for the valve seals, you don't. I was thinking of doing it myself but hell, I would rather go for the engine swap.

Weapon_R
09-01-2004, 02:57 PM
You don't have to remove the engine. I believe you can get at them from underneath the vehicle.

rage2
09-01-2004, 03:18 PM
You'll have to remove it if you have to hone the block, which I'm guessing is required if the rings are gone.

atomic
09-01-2004, 03:44 PM
u'll have to hone . which will require u to take the head off . removing the pistons from below is usually always a bad idea if at all possibe . but can you remove the head on that motor without taking the block out? (ie are any of the engine mounts on the head) ?

if u can then pop off the head . drop teh oil pan . undo the connecting rod fasteners . and pop them out from the top . hone, put back in :) .. just make sure u use new head bolts :P