PDA

View Full Version : BMW E46 M3 motor recall #2

rage2
09-02-2004, 09:24 PM
I'll bet BMW will be glad when the E46 M3 gets discontinued!

http://www.euroteknik.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10564

As predicted, it wasn't the Nov 2001 to Feb 2002 build date cars that had problems. Took long enough for BMW to address the issue!

Oh yea, with this update, which includes the new ECU software, the car will have a rev limit of 7500rpm in 1st and 2nd gear. Go BMW! :D

benyl
09-02-2004, 10:17 PM
hahahahaha... Glad I didn't fork out the extra bucks for that car...

Driver should pull over if they hear a loud knocking or rattling noise...

The price of these cars should be dropping with all the problems... wouldn't want to buy a used one even if they fix it... who knows what else wasn't manufactured to BMW standards...

Seanith
09-02-2004, 10:49 PM
I can't believe theres been so many problems with their engines..

ZorroAMG
09-03-2004, 12:12 AM
I know it's evil to be smiling right now......:D

m10-power
09-03-2004, 12:18 AM
At least BMW is stepping up to the plate, go ask people about their WRX transmission warrenty claims...

EK 2.0
09-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by benyl
hahahahaha... Glad I didn't fork out the extra bucks for that car...

Driver should pull over if they hear a loud knocking or rattling noise...

The price of these cars should be dropping with all the problems... wouldn't want to buy a used one even if they fix it... who knows what else wasn't manufactured to BMW standards...

Originally posted by m10-power
At least BMW is stepping up to the plate, go ask people about their WRX transmission warrenty claims...

ooooo I feel a battle coming on...:D

00redLUDE
09-03-2004, 12:25 AM
I actually asked one of the service representative at BMW Gallery about the M3 engine. He said, doesn't happen and if it did it was usu. because the car had been at the track. Yaaahhh right!!

finboy
09-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

ooooo I feel a battle coming on...:D

the heat is ON :rofl:

mischief
09-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by 00redLUDE
I actually asked one of the service representative at BMW Gallery about the M3 engine. He said, doesn't happen and if it did it was usu. because the car had been at the track. Yaaahhh right!!

:rofl:

Isn't that what the M3 is built for? The driver that is wanting to take their car to the track? What's the point of having the extra power over the 330, the stiffer suspension, and the larger tires if your not going to track your car?

rage2
09-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by m10-power
Or Mitsubishi regarding claims on cars that have been tracked ;).

Honestly though, BMW fucked up on this one. The statistics for the failures were found publically way back in 2002. Including failures that were not in the original late 01 early 02 cluster. I'm surprised that they waited this long to issue the bearing change to all the cars. Not to mention how they first started to blame the owners first, saying they overreved their cars and made THEM pay for the repairs.

I guess they fixed it for MY2004, so if you DO decide to buy an E46 M3, get a MY2004.

I also find their Q&A kinda funny...

Q5. How did BMW become aware of this issue?

They found out through their own QA processes? haha, that's hilarious. If it wasn't for the internet, and the pressure/bad press they were getting, I'll bet everyone's still paying for their own motor repairs after they blow up! A few guys on Roadfly pretty much compiled all the failure data from within a small group (internet users) to show when the failures happen depending on build date.

Q8. Is this a safety issue?

BMW says no. Ask the dude where his motor seized on the freeway, locked up the SMG transmission (no clutch to disengage), spun out 5 times, and nailed the concrete barrier. I wouldn't say that was safe lol.

Q12. Is BMW aware of any accidents or injuries attributed to the problem?

BMW knows about the accidents. They're very active on roadfly. They even post the recalls and warranty extensions on roadfly well before mailing the owners.

Q22's a prime example of how pissed off some of their customers are. There are guys that's gone through 2 or 3 engine replacements, and now have to go in for yet another teardown.

rage2
09-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by 00redLUDE
haha tell that to the guy that blew up right in front of me on Crowchild.

Loose
09-03-2004, 09:27 AM
I knew a guy who's motor popped. He was pissed. Bavaria didn't want to warranty it, because they said he "over-reved" it. He said "That's impossible, it has SMG". He had to fight with them forever over the issue. The worst part was that at that time, the dealer wouldn't even admit there was a problem with the M3's, they just blamed it on the customers.

His final words: "Fuck BMW, I'm just gonna buy a 911 like everyone else", ha ha.

m10-power
09-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Problem is the 'Dealer' isn't who needs to be contacted in a case like this. Dealers don't like warrenty work as they don't get paid very well for it, so you can imagine the workers that get to do the work :thumbsdow

The dealer sucks, but that goes for all of them.

benyl
09-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by rage2

haha, I have seen a couple on the side of the road with blinkers on...

Who cares if Subaru does recall a $5000 transmission. I am sure that a BMW motor is worth probably double or triple that. Also, I wouldn't expect this kind of service for the premium paid for that vehicle.

00redLUDE
09-03-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by rage2

WORD!! :rofl:

We haven't heard from our resident beyond BMW sales rep. on this issues yet, weird?! :dunno:

Chester
09-03-2004, 10:06 AM
better let my friend know before his car breaks down on the way to work:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ICEBERG
09-03-2004, 11:58 AM
I have an friend who is a sales rep. at a BMW dealership here in calgary, (No names) mentioned that i should stay away from the M3 BMW because of all the engine problems they where having. I wonder if he tells this to all of his customers.:dunno:

benyl
09-03-2004, 02:01 PM
I always wondered why a certain member of this forum has an e36 M3 instead of an e46... ;)

Loose
09-03-2004, 02:52 PM
i bet that certain member will keep his mouth shut, if he wants to keep his job :D