PDA

View Full Version : I got a ticket for having a 'For Sale' sign..

Vanish3d
09-02-2004, 11:02 PM
As I was pulling out of the parking lot of Tim Hortons, fucking cops pulled me over and gave me a $57 ticket for having a 'For Sale' sign on my car in a public parking lot...

like FUCK!

If i got it for speeding or seat belt or anything that actually matters, i'd be ok with it, but COME ON! a 'for sale' sign??

sorry, just had to vent.

wildrice
09-02-2004, 11:03 PM
damn that sucks,
didn't know u could get a ticket for that

GTS Jeff
09-02-2004, 11:08 PM
wow those are against the law? what law does it break?

there are LOTS of those fs signs everywhere

DreammEr
09-02-2004, 11:15 PM
wtf???
y cant u have a for sale sign??
:dunno:

EK 2.0
09-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Vanish3d
As I was pulling out of the parking lot of Tim Hortons, fucking cops pulled me over and gave me a $57 ticket for having a 'For Sale' sign on my car in a public parking lot...

like FUCK!

If i got it for speeding or seat belt or anything that actually matters, i'd be ok with it, but COME ON! a 'for sale' sign??

sorry, just had to vent.

uhmmm...was this a certain Tim Horton's on a Saturday night in an undisclosed industrial area??

C4S
09-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Actually .. you cannot put any SIGN on your Front windows .. I think .. there is a size limited, or if that is a parking permmit ..

I never got ticket like that, but, yes, Police can give you ticket.

DreammEr
09-02-2004, 11:33 PM
thats fukked up dude, where did u have ur sign???

finboy
09-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

uhmmm...was this a certain Tim Horton's on a Saturday night in an undisclosed industrial area??

sounds about right

Ed the SOHC
09-02-2004, 11:57 PM
what does it say on your ticket? I don't get it??? illegal for sale tint? :confused:

00redLUDE
09-03-2004, 12:01 AM
What a load of CRAP!! For sure fight this ticket. That's just sucks a@@!!!! :thumbsdow

Altezza
09-03-2004, 12:11 AM
I've heard that having a for sale sign was illegal, but I never actually heard of anybody actually getting fined for it. Much like the license plate fames that dealerships put on the customer vehicles. It is illegal to have any part of the license plate covered. But I haven't heard anybody being ticketed for this either.

Trafficlawyer
09-03-2004, 10:10 PM
What section of the Act did they charge you with? Email me and I will offer you some free legal advice. From a former traffic court prosecutor no less.

Talk soon,
Adrian

www.trafficlawyer.ca

Khyron
09-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Having any sign in your car windows is illegal - I think there are sort of business licences for it though. But you can't just plaster cardboard business signs in your windows - distraction to other drivers and blocks your view. But yet those magnetic signs you put on the doors are ok.

You can have a "For Sale" sign but not while you are moving. I've known about that rule for years but have never heard of anyone getting a ticket.

Khyron

Trafficlawyer
09-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Section 126 of the Highway Traffic Act requires the windshield to be clear.

But it doesn't say anything about any other part of the car. What does your ticket say?

I don't think the business licence issue can possibly be an issue. It 's not like he's in running a "business" by selling a car.

www.trafficlawyer.ca

FiveFreshFish
09-03-2004, 11:20 PM
A $57 ticket sounds like a registered owner ticket without any points. :dunno:

If it's a moving violation, the fine would be way more.

tommy1223
09-04-2004, 12:10 AM
wow that's gay, sounds like calgary has some dick head cops who abuse their powers and tickets people for no reason. cops here dont give a damn about minor infractions, they have better things to do and real crime to fight.

Khyron
09-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Trafficlawyer

But it doesn't say anything about any other part of the car. What does your ticket say?

I don't think the business licence issue can possibly be an issue. It 's not like he's in running a "business" by selling a car.

www.trafficlawyer.com

No, I mean like "Joes Pizza" can put special lettering on his glass if it's a licenced business, but you can't just put a cardboard sign advertising a web site or your garage sale, or your car sale and drive around. It has something to do with being a mobile billboard. But yah, a relevant section listed on the ticket would help.

Khyron

Vanish3d
09-06-2004, 01:57 PM
the ticket says

"109(1)(d) Park vehicle displayed for sale"

I can kind of see why it is illegal. Someone can buy 10 cars and park them at a mall and have his own dealer's lot. But, for fuck sakes, I parked, got a coffee, left, got a ticket.
I should've atleast got a warning for breaking a law i did not know existed.

I'm going to fight it.

and my windshield was clear, it was samll and on my rear window

English_leather
09-07-2004, 01:12 PM
If you're hanging around that Tim's on 72nd, they'll nail you for any little thing they can find, whatever it may be. A friend of mine got 2 tickets, one for having his licence plate light burnt out, and one for having his exhaust pip in a different place other than stock(like 3 inches to the left)! So, maybe just stay away from trouble, I dunno...

Gspotracer
09-07-2004, 01:18 PM
How long was your car parked there for, you didn't leave it there all day with a For Sale sign in the window did you:dunno:

Vanish3d
09-07-2004, 10:06 PM
my car was parked there for 5-10 minutes
and it was the tim hortons on 52nd ave NE

BebeAphrodite
09-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Damn.. that sucks so bad!!!

Tha VZA
09-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by English_leather
If you're hanging around that Tim's on 72nd, they'll nail you for any little thing they can find, whatever it may be. A friend of mine got 2 tickets, one for having his licence plate light burnt out, and one for having his exhaust pip in a different place other than stock(like 3 inches to the left)! So, maybe just stay away from trouble, I dunno...

those are weak, but yeah i have even been checked out on saturday nights, i drive the most unsuspious car ever too

but whateves, if you keep stuff looking close to stock they are none the wiser

and oh yeah

trouble is fun why would stay out of it??

ciao

redline_13000
09-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Vanish3d
my car was parked there for 5-10 minutes
and it was the tim hortons on 52nd ave NE

Haha, that same thing happened to one of my friends 2 times at that tim hortons. I remember once having a HUGE for sale sign on my back window and got pulled over for something else but he didn't mention that:dunno:

Proyecto2000
10-04-2004, 09:16 AM
what about those "for sale" stickers people put on on their cars with their phone numbers on the very top of their glass, are they also illegal? cuz if those are illegal then shouldnt those banners people put on their front/back glass, saying Nismo or Powered by blah blah be Illegal also?

Vertigo
10-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Trafficlawyer

www.trafficlawyer.ca

You're a traffic lawyer for BC, not Alberta. Try not to give out mis-information please.

There is no HTA any longer, it's been the Traffic Safety Act since April 2004. Most of the sections have been reworded, if not changed completely.

The reasoning for the charge of displaying for sale signs in the window was originally to combat 'rubberneckers'. The same people that drive past a collision staring, and then crash into something.

If you want to have a 'For Sale' sign in your window, park the car on private property. It may be visible from the street, just can't sit on it.

Whether or not you can 'advertise' in your window would fall under a municipal by-law, and if one did so exist, then you would indeed need a business license. Calgary may have one but I really am not sure.

See this whenever looking up your charges/inquiries.
Alberta Queen's Printer - TSA (http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Acts/T06.cfm?frm_isbn=0779729714)
Alberta Queen's Printer - UH&RR Regs (http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Regs/2002_304.cfm?frm_isbn=0779717082)

Advertising on highways
109(1) A person shall not do any of the following on a highway:

(a) display any goods for sale;

(b) offer any goods for sale;

(c) sell any goods;

(d) park a vehicle that is being displayed for sale or that is
displaying advertising directing persons to a commercial premises.

Trafficlawyer
10-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Kris,

You're right, I am a BC traffic lawyer. I'll confine my postings in reply to Alberta concerns to general court procedures and things that are consistent.

I appreciate the "update" to my outdated information.