PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Car Modifications...

eibwen
09-04-2004, 10:46 AM
I've got a Toyota Corolla (1994) on which I wouldn't mind doing a few _basic_ and inexpensive mods, which are not limited to making the car go faster. The imputus for my decision largely comes from discovering an SPST that I liked (http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/cables/6c9d/). The car came without a clock, so I figure I could mount it in the "clock panel cover plate." However, I am still undecided as to what to connect the SPST to... if anything.

I found the forums (http://forums.beyond.ca/) through the Cheap but efficient Mods (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-53238.html) thread, in which FiveFreshFish (http://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1037) suggested several electrical mods:

Okay, since you didn't say the mods had to make your car faster, here are some easy mods that achieve other things. Most of the good cheap mods are electrical:
Hardwire your radar detector. This frees up your 12V power socket and it's one less thing to hide when you park your car. You only need to buy some wire (or phone cord) and the proper connector for your detector.
Switch to Sylvania/Osram Silverstar headlight bulbs if you presently have regular halogen bulbs. Higher light output with legal wattage. About $50 a pair.
If your car has rear fog lights, wire them up so they work as additional brake lights and still retain their intended function. Cost is about $2 for a pair of zener diodes.
If you have an older car, upgrade your headlight circuit so they run directly off the battery using the original headlight circuit to trigger the relay. This give the path of least resistance and you get more voltage across the bulb terminals. Cost is about $30 for relays, connectors and wiring.
Connect your stereo so it can play without the ignition key. Cost = nothing.
Add StoneGuard or Xpel to protect your headlights. Costs about $20.

Anyone else have any other ideas -- electrical or otherwise? Preferably something fairly inexpensive (preferably < $50) that I could install myself.

Thanks.

ZorroAMG
09-04-2004, 11:45 AM
I would not wire the rear fog because first of all there is usually only one rear fog on the driver's side, to prevent exaclty what you don't want: people to think you are braking. Also the rear fog is much more intense and annoying than a brake light and woluld a) piss off other motorists and b) piss off the police. B) being a bad thing LOL If you hooked up your ONE rear fog to the brake lights, it would look as if you have one burnt out...also a nice surprise for la policia.

ramminghard
09-04-2004, 12:32 PM
$20 max this should cost. replace the bulbs behind you guages to whatever colour you want.
Before:

ramminghard
09-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Was very happy with the results. You see your guages a lot when you drive so you might as well make them nice.

Chim
09-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard
$20 max this should cost. replace the bulbs behind you guages to whatever colour you want.
Before:

Was that hard to do?

noodles
09-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Chim

Was that hard to do?

ooooo i want blue!!! :thumbsup:

do you have a haynes manual??? just check it out in there.

where's a good place to get bulbs??

GTS Jeff
09-05-2004, 06:57 PM
if u like the switch and u just want something to wire the switch to, u can do stuff like:

-fog lights
-electric fan
-starter kill switch (that might get annoying tho)

88CRX
09-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
-starter kill switch (that might get annoying tho)

great anit-thieft tho :thumbsup:

noodles
09-05-2004, 09:16 PM
switch???

chibi_chas
09-06-2004, 04:10 AM
get a BOV speaker :rolleyes:

ramminghard
09-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Chim

Was that hard to do?

It was not overly hard to do. the hardest part is taking apart the dash to get to the cluster. It looks like theres lots of wires to deal with but they are all in a harness and just unclip. Took about two hours total.

Originally posted by noodles

ooooo i want blue!!! :thumbsup:

do you have a haynes manual??? just check it out in there.

where's a good place to get bulbs??

You can get bulbs anywhere. Canadian tire sells them and so does auto value. A manual isn't necessary but it might help you get the dash apart.