PDA

View Full Version : buy a used SUV, compare as i dare?

neely
09-04-2004, 08:27 PM
ok- i am looking to spend around $12,000 and i find that these i have listed are commonly in that price range or under. Can you guys list pro's or con's if you know of any that may help my decision?
1) 97-99 Ford Explorer
2) 97-99 GMC JImmy or Chev Blazer
3) 94-95 Toyota 4runner
4) 96 Nissan pathfinder
5) 98ish Jeep Cherokee
***and i forgot to mention 97-98 Isuzu Rodeo

thanks guys

ole dsm
09-05-2004, 11:33 AM
forget the top 2 choices
they suck on so many levels

t-im
09-05-2004, 11:39 AM
pathfinder

3G
09-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by t-im
pathfinder

Hands down best SUV. You also can't go wrong with a 4Runner!

MK3HKS
09-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by neely

5) 98ish Jeep Cherokee

grand?? if so, find a 5.9L if not then go with 5.2L

:eek: :burnout:

neely
09-05-2004, 03:43 PM
just a regular cherokee, ie sport...
what are areas of concern on the explorer or jimmy's? i am an import guy so i dont know too much about em. Still no reasons why something is shit or something is good :dunno:

freakin
09-09-2004, 01:37 PM
My dad has had an explorer (92) and a Jimmy (99). Both were crap. They're fine if you kept them in the city, but why buy and SUV for that? The explorer ripped up 3 sets of automatic hubs. the last pair wasn't under warranty, so we went with some Warn manual hubs up front after that. The hub would always go when you needed it. The Jimmy is really small and underpowered. Top that off with really bad fuel economy. He keeps having problems with the front end (bad ball joints, tie rods etc.). The truck has never been off road or in an accident. Now he's having electrical problems. I know he wouldn't ever buy one of those vehicles ever again.

Dodge has a lot of problems with their auto trannys behind the V8's. Watch out for that in the Cherokee if it's a Grand Cherokee w/a V8. My sister had both a durango and a grand cherokee (same drivetrain). Both had tranny issues (slipping). I know of a few other people with the same problems.

I've owned toyota trucks before and loved them. My 85 had 300,000km on it. Everything worked, the motor was stong, didn't burn oil. I'd have no problems buying a newer 4-runner if I could afford one.

Just my $.02

ramminghard
09-09-2004, 03:29 PM
I was considering a 97 jimmy. WHat is so bad about them besides the fuel economy?

Weapon_R
09-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Your best bet from that list would be the 4Runner, although i'd stretch the budget to get the 96+, as they have much nicer bodies.

neely
09-09-2004, 04:49 PM
thats what i got (2000 4runner) and i have to down grade

NiteRider
09-09-2004, 04:54 PM
go for the JEEP
i love mine

Jeevin
09-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Pathfinder:closed:

neely
09-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by neely
Still no reasons why something is shit or something is good :dunno:

i totally appreciate everyones input here, but replying without a reason why something is good/bad doesnt help with my research. im wondering about common reliablity issues and recalls stuff like that. I know that nissan and toyota have a superior reputation and therefore i am leaning that way, but i thought i would look into the domestics cause of the cost

TrickBoi
10-20-2004, 01:06 PM
I just bought a 94 a couple months ago and so far no problems yet.....(knock on wood). I love it, its not the best on fuel but I haven't seen an SUV that is. You should go for the pathy..its the best of its kind
No problems, no recalls, great 4x's

good luck

nismodrifter
10-20-2004, 01:11 PM
2 pathys in our garage at the moment - never had a single problem that required repair with either of them. these things OWN!!!!

redline
10-20-2004, 03:13 PM
My mom had a 97 blazer, that thing broken down so many times i lost count, she also had a 02 envoy and that thing was junk also.

Pathfinder and 4runners are the two best choices in the list

ramminghard
10-20-2004, 03:26 PM
I just bought a 98 Jimmy. If thats what your considering get the 98 for the console shifter. I love my new truck. only complaint is the squeaky interior but not a big deal.

5.9 R/T
10-20-2004, 05:28 PM
-The pathy and 4runner are good choices, but since everyone has listed nothing but good I'll list some bad. They're underpowered, but they do get better gas mileage then the others on the list. Only they don't get THAT much better gas mileage to justify their lackluster performance. Their interiors are very well put together, but rather bare, compared with the rest of the choices on the list.
-The Blazer/Jimmy is a nice ride inside, but handles the worst out of those on the list IMO. They are also prone to squeeks and rattles as was listed above.
-The Jeep is a decent choice but the gas mileage on the I6 will be the worst on that list. It is the most powerful on that list though. Interior is sparse but very durable and solid, very few should have any squeeks or rattles.
-The exporer is americas best selling SUV. There isn't anything exactly great about it but there is nothing terrible about it either. I didn't feel safe driving one though, the steering is so disconnected from the road you can't really tell what its doing.

Really it depends on what you plan to use it for. If its just around town blasting through the snow then one of the imports is your best choice. If you plan on doing any kind of towing/hauling I would go with the Jeep, but I don't understand why you're not considering a Grand Cherokee as it is a much nicer ride. If you plan to do a lot of highway cruising then I would probably go with a Blazer or Jimmy as they have the most comfortable interiors on that list. Personal choice but I avoid Ford like the plague.

qaxaz
12-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Buy from an auction!!!! I bought a 96 explorer (yeah i know, nothing special) but i got it for $2700 at the one in edmonton last weekend. and there is so much stuff for such wicked prices! Like how bout $43k for a 2004 Escalade w. 14000k on it? There is another one coming up on this weekend in Calgary. Check out http://www.michenerallen.com/AUTOMOTIVE.htm for all the info and the list of what there is this weekend. Under market report, they list the prices that everything in the past has sold for so you know pretty much how much it is going to cost you

zain123
12-10-2004, 09:45 PM
got a 98 pathfinder 2 weeks ago
and lovin it
my best guess pathfinder

have had some problems with relative's blazers and all.. soo my 1st pick
PATHFINDER
2nd pick
4 Runner

and take cherokee if its reaaaaaaaaally well maintained
couple ofbuddies had problems in the past

hussein
12-27-2004, 11:36 PM
did you ever decide?

youngbex
12-30-2004, 04:41 PM
dont get a SUV get a big deisel truck, thats what i wanna get.

nismodrifter
12-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by youngbex

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Why would anyone even consider a suggestion made by someone who can't even spell DIESEL.

EK 2.0
12-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by youngbex

Originally posted by nismodrifter

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Why would anyone even consider a suggestion made by someone who can't even spell DIESEL.

*sniffing*...oh yeah, I know that smell, and pwning...

Barking_Spidre
12-30-2004, 07:49 PM
I'd have to say pathfinder as well.... I've got a 96 Pathfinder LE fully loaded.. It's awesome. Might be for sale soon too. :thumbsup:

Moe Man
12-30-2004, 10:07 PM
i agree with 5.9 R/T it depends on what you want it for. i would go with cherokee just because the limited looks pimped :thumbsup:

Alcorn
12-30-2004, 10:17 PM
4 runner!! i currently own an 87 4runner it has about 260 000 km on it and the motor still runs strong no oil leaks last thing that broek on it was a belt the only down side to a toyota are known for the fender rust. but i assume a newer model 4runner that is taken care of well will have a great body.