PDA

View Full Version : car won't start

LUDELVR
11-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Okay, it has never had a problem starting before but I tried to start it today and it started but very rough. It took a while to get it going and once it did, it idled like shit! I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from stalling but I let off and it died. Couldn't get it going again either. The batt has 12V and it makes the usual sound as if it is going to start but it never fully turns over. I have gas in the tank. Only think I noticed is that I took off the cap and there is a bit of carbon on the electrodes. I filed those down and still no start up. Also, I took off the wire going from the coil to the cap and it zapped me when I someone cranked the key, so I know there's a spark going to it, but I did notice that when I took each of the plugs on the cap, there was no spark coming out from the cap.

Anyway, any help would be awsome.

Fluidic
11-12-2002, 10:21 PM
You still have the turbo on there? Maybe your ghetto turbo hook-upZ have really taken it's toll on your motor. :confused:

Peter

LUDELVR
11-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
You still have the turbo on there? Maybe your ghetto turbo hook-upZ have really taken it's toll on your motor. :confused:

Peter

hahaha, ghetto hookups always pulls through. I just talked to some other guys on the a different forum and he says he experienced the same thing and it was his cap and rotor.

LUDELVR
11-12-2002, 10:30 PM
Hey shadowz, you wanna hook me up with a jdm cap and rotor?
hahahahha

max_boost
11-12-2002, 10:33 PM
Lets face it, you fcuked up your car!:rofl:

boi-alien
11-12-2002, 10:44 PM
i told you to stop using your gas tank as a toilet :rofl:

Fuji
11-12-2002, 11:06 PM
Could be your MAF is blown

If you changed anything to do with injectors fuel pumps etc.. the MAF doesn't work if it's blown...

It will only run in limp mode if it's stock...I think.... Josh had the exact same symptoms you did and we found out it's his MAF...

LUDELVR
11-12-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
Could be your MAF is blown

If you changed anything to do with injectors fuel pumps etc.. the MAF doesn't work if it's blown...

It will only run in limp mode if it's stock...I think.... Josh had the exact same symptoms you did and we found out it's his MAF...

Honda's have a MAF?

Fuji
11-12-2002, 11:22 PM
I nkow civiccs have a Mass Airflow Sensor (Geoff blew one on track day)... I assumed the Prelude would too :D ... Otherwise I dunno ...sorry man.. might wanns check on that ...I'm pretty sure they aren't speed density.

LUDELVR
11-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
I nkow civiccs have a Mass Airflow Sensor (Geoff blew one on track day)... I assumed the Prelude would too :D ... Otherwise I dunno ...sorry man.. might wanns check on that ...I'm pretty sure they aren't speed density.

fuck, I tried to even start the car in gear to see if it jumps forward, but it doesn't even move an inch. Where would I find this MAF sensor? And who's geoff? His car didn't start at all?

Fuji
11-12-2002, 11:32 PM
Geoffs.... started.. and he could drive it too, but it was bone stock... Josh's had modified injectors fueling system... so the ECU can't recog or compensate... it only started for 2 seconds and died unless he kept his foot on the gas.. then it would idle rough.

The MAF should be somewhere near the intake... I know mine is right behind the filter... its a little plug into the intake piping with wires coming out of the plug that go to the ECU I think.

Audi Kid
11-12-2002, 11:33 PM
sounds like my fucking car haha! mine was the distributer

Fuji
11-12-2002, 11:34 PM
Could be the distributor :D

Redlyne_mr2
11-12-2002, 11:38 PM
dude you said you have no spark going from the wires, im pretty sure your distributor is fucked and from what ive heard theyre not cheap for hondas

Dirty_SOHC
11-12-2002, 11:51 PM
your car sounds like what happened to me today, except mine wouldnt even start

B18C
11-13-2002, 12:02 AM
You don't have a MAF sensor man. I'm pretty sure your prelude uses a MAP sensor

LUDELVR
11-13-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
dude you said you have no spark going from the wires, im pretty sure your distributor is fucked and from what ive heard theyre not cheap for hondas

yah, there's no spark coming outta the cap when I unplug any of the wires. I called honda, they want 30 bux for a cap and rotor

LUDELVR
11-13-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by B18C
You don't have a MAF sensor man. I'm pretty sure your prelude uses a MAP sensor

yah, it's a MAP sensor, I took care of it with the check valves. As for the distributor, what are your thoughts arch? As well, how long did it take for auto meter to send you a new unit? I sent mine out about a week ago.

Redlyne_mr2
11-13-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

yah, there's no spark coming outta the cap when I unplug any of the wires. I called honda, they want 30 bux for a cap and rotor
pull one of your wires off your plug, hold the metal parts on or even near your valve cover, ithis will help you verify that youre not getting any spark to the wires, I just dont think it could be a cap and distributor but hell who knows, you remember that dude giving away that free prelude motor in the market section pm him maybe hell hook you with a distibutor, it was an sr motor though

B18C
11-13-2002, 12:11 AM
It took Autometer a while to send me out a new unit. Initially, they told me that they were working on a replacement short-sweep unit and would send me out a replacement as soon as one was ready. Then, they just sent me a full-sweep one but I really don't remember how long it took. Maybe 3-4 weeks :dunno:

As for your problem, it's probably the cap and rotor. I've heard of more than a few FI preludes with that problem. Don't know why though.

LUDELVR
11-13-2002, 12:13 AM
As for your problem, it's probably the cap and rotor. I've heard of more than a few FI preludes with that problem. Don't know why though.

and it just completely disables the car from starting?

B18C
11-13-2002, 12:24 AM
Yup. You know Eric with the Drag 3 Prelude in Edmonton? YOu know...the guy with the KILLER sound system? He had the same problem in the summer. He replaced the cap and rotor and he was good to go.

Redlyne_mr2
11-13-2002, 12:26 AM
Yup. You know Eric with the Drag 3 Prelude in Edmonton? YOu know...the guy with the KILLER sound system? He had the same problem in the summer. He replaced the cap and rotor and he was good to go.
that is messed up, I hope thats all the problem is then ..cheap fixes rule

LUDELVR
11-13-2002, 12:29 AM

yah, he had the red 5th gen right? Shit, his cap was that bad that the car didn't start? shit, I'll check tomorrow if I can get a cheap one! Shadowz, where are you man!!! need some more jdm parts!!! hahaha

B18C
11-13-2002, 12:31 AM

yah, he had the red 5th gen right? Shit, his cap was that bad that the car didn't start? shit, I'll check tomorrow if I can get a cheap one! Shadowz, where are you man!!! need some more jdm parts!!! hahaha

Yup. Hope that is your problem too man. Redlyne said it best....cheap fixes rule

del-lude
11-13-2002, 02:00 AM
I had the same problem last year, mine turned out to be the ignitor and cap and rotor. I was told that faulty ignitors are a common problem on the H22 preludes. They tend to go intermittent for some reason.

LUDELVR
11-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by del-lude
I had the same problem last year, mine turned out to be the ignitor and cap and rotor. I was told that faulty ignitors are a common problem on the H22 preludes. They tend to go intermittent for some reason.

so how much was the ignitor?
I'm gonna go get a cap and rotor but where do I get the ignitor?

del-lude
11-13-2002, 03:38 PM

so how much was the ignitor?
I'm gonna go get a cap and rotor but where do I get the ignitor?

If it is the ignitor or coil
just get the MSD one at mopac or something cause its cheaper than the Honda ones and probably better too.:dunno:

LUDELVR
11-13-2002, 05:03 PM
finally! Got the car running. Turned out to be a possible combination of problems. Firstly as I have posted earlier, someone broke into my car and while fixing it, I kept turning on the car and what not, but not actually starting it. My fuel pump would constantly keep going. In addition to this, the constant times I tried to start it must have added to the drenched plugs. So I cleaned those. On top of that, I noticed that the cap was really worn down on the spring moutned electrode. Changed that out as well and voila! Instant start! So I'm very glad. Have turned it off and on a few times just to make sure. Also just wanted to say thanks for all your help guys!

Redlyne_mr2
11-13-2002, 06:32 PM
finally! Got the car running. Turned out to be a possible combination of problems. Firstly as I have posted earlier, someone broke into my car and while fixing it, I kept turning on the car and what not, but not actually starting it. My fuel pump would constantly keep going. In addition to this, the constant times I tried to start it must have added to the drenched plugs. So I cleaned those. On top of that, I noticed that the cap was really worn down on the spring moutned electrode. Changed that out as well and voila! Instant start! So I'm very glad. Have turned it off and on a few times just to make sure. Also just wanted to say thanks for all your help guys!
so glad it was an easy fix man, you owe me a ride when I get back, Ive never seen that car in action before:clap: :thumbsup:

LUDELVR
11-13-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

so glad it was an easy fix man, you owe me a ride when I get back, Ive never seen that car in action before:clap: :thumbsup:

hahah, once I get it tuned nicely. It bogs in first after 5000 rpm. I think it's too rich up top still, and in the next gears, it's quite eratic after 5000. Man, tuning is a bitch!!

B18C
11-13-2002, 07:48 PM
:thumbsup: