PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for buck beater 4x4

Redlyne_mr2
09-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Im looking to get a nice little 4x4 for the winter. I only want to spend around $3000 at the very most so this thing is going to be a pre90s unit. Here are my choices:

Late 80s Nissan Pathfinder
Pro: Nice v6 engine with a simple 4x4 system that rarely fails
Good body that isnt very prone to rust
Sentimental value as I have always wanted one from Warren Miller movies back in the day
Lots of clean cheap ones out there
Cons: Exhaust manifold bolts breaking
Poor gas mileage

Late 80s 4runner
Pros: Toyota reliability
Cool removable rear area
Efficient engine
Cons: Rust machine
weak 4cyl
Old toyotas always seem to need stupid little things
Expensive for their age and what you are getting

Dodge Raider:
Pros: Great on gas
Decent power for a 4cyl
Look like a mini landrover
Usually fairly rust free
cheap on parts
Cons: Unknown reliability
Can be pricey as well

Late 80s Isuzu trooper
Prose: Cheap Cheap
Relatively rust free
Cons: Tip like nobodies business
Isuzu quality

Ford explorer
Pros: Lots of room
Clean bodies
Cheap for what you get
decent power
Cons: Ford problems
poor fuel consumption
possible money pit

Thanks guys

GTS Jeff
09-06-2004, 01:19 AM
hey ryan, id skip the 4runner since old toyotas hate u, and cuz 4runners are very tippable too (my dad has rolled 2). dont worry about fuel economy cuz they all suck. the raider and trooper are both dog slow and really lame when u lose speed going uphill. id also ditch the explorer cuz its a ford.

id personally go for a pathfinder. its got the reliability of a thousand japanese workers and the power of a v6. also, the warren miller appeal makes its kickass too.

Redlyne_mr2
09-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
hey ryan, id skip the 4runner since old toyotas hate u, and cuz 4runners are very tippable too (my dad has rolled 2). dont worry about fuel economy cuz they all suck. the raider and trooper are both dog slow and really lame when u lose speed going uphill. id also ditch the explorer cuz its a ford.

id personally go for a pathfinder. its got the reliability of a thousand japanese workers and the power of a v6. also, the warren miller appeal makes its kickass too.
Thanks Jeff, Im really steering towards a pathy. $3000 buys you a pretty nice one. LOL old toyotas do hate me, I can just imagine what that old runner would have in store for me

ramminghard
09-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Out of all of those I would go for the pathy.

method
09-06-2004, 12:23 PM
I'll say 4runner... 22r's are one of the most bulletproof engines out there.

even an old jeep is as reliable as some of those other rigs, plus it offroads a hell of a lot better. :dunno:

I still like toyotas though

EK 2.0
09-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by method
I'll say 4runner... 22r's are one of the most bulletproof engines out there.

I still like toyotas though

so are the 4A-GE's and Redlyne has gone thru his fair share of them...:D

Ryan...Pathy man...can't really go wrong with it...and it will be great having a V6 when lugging around parts for project cars...

Ekliptix
09-06-2004, 08:16 PM
I got my 91 Jeep Cherokee for $3200. I love it in the winter.

littlealien
09-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Ryan, I'd suggest stearing clear of the 4 cylinder Troopers. That engine is extremely underpowered for those vehicles and their heads are prone to cracking when it overheats, and chances are, it will - it's only a matter of time. I loved the utilitarian look of the Trooper so I went and bought one, an '88. I quickly became familiar with all the issues afterwards. Should have done my research first.

If you want a cheap winter beater, go with a Geo Tracker or Suzuki Sidekick. Early '90 models with relatively low klicks can be had for cheap. They are alot of fun to drive also.

I bought myself another one this past weekend, and I'll be buying myself yet another the moment I sell my Civic and Sprint.

CelicaST-162
09-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Pathfinder.....Pathfinder.....Pathfinder. Hey Ryan just go with the pathfinder they are reliable but gas mileage does suck. If you get one let me know and then you can join the Nissan 4x4 club...err i need to join also:rolleyes: . One last thing, if you get one make sure you get some WARN hubs for it, the stock autolock hubs suck ass mine grenaded on the trail. Another thing that sucks about them is they go unlocked if you roll back in reverse so get some warn manual hubs. it will suck having to jump out and lock the hub but saves a lot of headache when you really need to use the 4wd and some stupid shit like that happens...trust me i know from experience.

civic_stylez
09-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
I got my 91 Jeep Cherokee for $3200. I love it in the winter.
:werd: i have 2 jeeps and replacement parts are easy to get and there are alot of decent ones out there for 3g...

method
09-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
so are the 4A-GE's and Redlyne has gone thru his fair share of them...:D

4ag's arent as bulletproof as engines like the 22r, 3tc, 2tc... etc.

awd
09-10-2004, 09:25 AM
197X Toyota Landcruiser -- I have owned three of them (1971, 1974 and a 1980), all three were tanks that could go anywhere.

http://www.heartland4x4.com/GreenJeep01A.JPG

But with age comes maintenance.

JENSSEN
09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
1989 Jeep Cherokee, $200.00 initail investment, total is $1500.00 which included a 3" lift, 31" tires and some good ol fashioned elbow grease. I love this truck!

http://www.msnusers.com/turbofordsandothertoys/jeepstuff.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=260

Redlyne_mr2
09-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by awd
197X Toyota Landcruiser -- I have owned three of them (1971, 1974 and a 1980), all three were tanks that could go anywhere.

http://www.heartland4x4.com/GreenJeep01A.JPG

But with age comes maintenance.
LOL those things rule but sill sell for 10K

knees scrapin'
09-12-2004, 04:57 PM
My brother nd I had a 73 diesel Yoda Cruiser. Best thing ever. Short wheel base = wicked climber.

tirebob
09-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Is this for convenince or for play? For play, a little Sammy is a lot of fun and pretty cheap too...

Kenny_boy
09-15-2004, 10:47 PM
If you check out the aucitons, you can get some nice 3/4 tons pick-up, that way you'll have the hp that you want, domestic parts so there will be lots of jobber units around if you need to replace something, and they are bigger so they are alot nicer to work with...

ricoshea
09-21-2004, 06:21 AM
Hey
If you are still looking for opinions. I've had a 95 Pathfinder a 88 Toyota Truck and I now own a 88 4runner. They are all great the Toys have the Pathfinder beat on milage and I think on 4x4 capability too. But the Pathfinder is a close second. It sounds like you already have your mind mad eup about he Pathfinder a great choice. Just like you with the Pathfinder I've always wanted a 4runner now I have one I'm going to do it up right. Whatever you do stay away from the Radier and the Exploder!!!