PDA

View Full Version : Racing harnesses

sexualbanana
11-13-2002, 02:13 AM
I was curious. if i get racing harnesses, what other places can i anchor the belts? i know i can do it all the way to the hatch, but i still need my backseats. is it possible to put a bar right across the floor just behind my seats and anchor it there? kinda like a strut bar right in the middle of the cabin

buh_buh
11-13-2002, 02:21 AM
you could bolt it down to your chassis

sexualbanana
11-13-2002, 02:21 AM
uh huh

Illusionsir
11-13-2002, 02:35 AM
from experience, i think your screwed if you want to do harnesses and still have full access to your back seats.

you either have to put the anchor to bolts just behind the back bench or if your bling bling you get a roll cage and tie down the harnesses there but in either cases, you wont have backseat access. i dont believe theres any other ways to get around it!

speedracer
11-13-2002, 03:58 AM
Make sure you get 4pt harness - H and not the Y. At least a DOT stamp.

DOT --> FIA -> SFI
(The belt must have a marking - if it doesn't walk away)

sexualbanana: Yes you could, but that would also mean a higher chance for spinal compression. (This would not pass any racing organization (maybe NHRA).

The best would be a bar behind you at about shoulder height - weilded with connectors. This way you can remove the bar for passengers.

The other common approach is to use the seat belt anchors as you pointed out

* the shorter the belt the better

4wheeldrift
11-13-2002, 07:43 AM
If you are anchoring them low, unless you have a harness bar, make sure the angle is not higher than 45 degrees. More than 45 and you are risking a compressed spine in an accident. The best harness, for a street driven car, are the Scroth DOT approved harness (I think Rob from tunerworks has them in his bimmer). They've got a loop in the webbing that will allow your head to drop if you get in an accident, so you aren't holding the full weight of the car up with your spine since you can't roll your shoulders forward to get under the level of the headrest.