PDA

View Full Version : Turbo honda smoking? help?

^SkylinE^
09-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Ok so i have a turbo d series that i put together. It has been running great for almost a year now. It always would smoke just for a bit on start up until i drove like a 100 meters then i wouldn't smoke at all for the duration of my drives. Just the other day i noticed that my car was smoking when it idles? when im driveing it doesn't smoke at all. Its black smoke. If im driveing, stop and get out of my car and watch the tail pipe there is no smoke at first. After a minute or 2 i can tell the its starting to smoke. The longer the car idles the worst it gets. If i begin to drive after idleing for a while out comes alot of smoke but only for a couple seconds and then you can't notice it any more????? PLZ HELP. :whipped: :banghead: :dunno:

rage2
09-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Black smoke at idle means your air/fuel ratio is pretty damn rich at idle.

^SkylinE^
09-07-2004, 12:07 AM
So some tuning should clear this up??? I got a tuned by brad at speedtech?I have hondata stage 4B. im running i think 370cc injectors from and H22? And the smoke slowly gets worse as i idle longer? im so confused how do i fix this?

legendboy
09-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Chances are if it wasn't smoking before but it is now its not the afr's. Sounds like rings!

Inthered
09-07-2004, 01:19 PM
How old is your turbo on the car and how is the freeplay on it?

^SkylinE^
09-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Im thinking that the turbo is fairly old? don't know exactly? Wouldn't the car smoke alot more at high RPM's if the rings were toast? Its only at idle really and the longer it idles the worse it gets? I need to do a compression test and a leak down test. Anyone wanna help out never done them before.... or wheres a good place to take it and get this done? Cost??

Where can i take the turbo to get it looked at to see if i just need a new turbo?

Thanks matt:banghead:

legendboy
09-07-2004, 01:43 PM
At the end of the season last year my car started smoking at idle, after boosting. Cracked Ringlands.

^SkylinE^
09-07-2004, 02:08 PM
SHIT SHIT SHIT
Will that all show up on a compression and leak down test?

Thanks corry

legendboy
09-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Forget compression tests, they arn't good for much. It would possibly show up on a leakdown test......depends on how bad it is.

^SkylinE^
09-07-2004, 07:11 PM
What are signs and symtoms that a turbos life has come to and end. Could and old worn out turbo cause smoke like this?
What about the VAC reading on my boost gauge? Its still reads the same as before my car was turbo'd at idle.

finboy
09-07-2004, 07:17 PM
for a quick check on your turbo you could just pull the filter and intercooler hoses, look for shaftplay or oil in the charge pipes , from what i've seen that will usually give you an idea if its pooched.

^SkylinE^
09-07-2004, 07:42 PM
ill try that ! thanks

pressure_ratio
09-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by finboy
for a quick check on your turbo you could just pull the filter and intercooler hoses, look for shaftplay or oil in the charge pipes , from what i've seen that will usually give you an idea if its pooched.
Or you could have a look in you're intake piping for oil puddling.there's a good chance your rings are done,black smoke though is usually fuel as rage said,take a smell if it smells like fuel you're rich,burning oil is oil

finboy
09-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by pressure_ratio

Or you could have a look in you're intake piping for oil puddling.there's a good chance your rings are done,black smoke though is usually fuel as rage said,take a smell if it smells like fuel you're rich,burning oil is oil

that too, oil = blue smoke correct?

Dr. Lightspeed
09-07-2004, 09:23 PM
If it only does it at idle I would suspect

1) If the smoke is very dark black definately something contributing to your AF.

2) If the smoke is blue and only smokes at idle I would suspect valve seals or guides. I would expect a turbo or rings to smoke all the time.

Sounds like an O2 sensor is possibly correcting the wrong way I would check your grounds and see what happens. Do a leak down and verify the soundness of the engine.

finboy
09-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed
If it only does it at idle I would suspect

1) If the smoke is very dark black definately something contributing to your AF.

2) If the smoke is blue and only smokes at idle I would suspect valve seals or guides. I would expect a turbo or rings to smoke all the time.

Sounds like an O2 sensor is possibly correcting the wrong way I would check your grounds and see what happens. Do a leak down and verify the soundness of the engine.

last time my buddy nuked his turbo on his daytona it was blowing smoke when he let off the gas only.

the turbo was quite focked :rofl:

^SkylinE^
09-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks for all the imput guys.

rio_rex
09-08-2004, 01:17 PM
You may also me sending too much oil to the turbo, causing oil to leak out of the turbo's seals and burn at idle. Try adding a needle valve inline on ur oil line to ur turbo to reduce oil flow.

^SkylinE^
09-08-2004, 05:04 PM
OK i checked the play on the shaft and im no turbo expert but there is quite abit ? how much is too much its hard to tell you the degree of play there is over the net? Should i be looking for in and out play or up and down?:dunno:

Primer_Drift
09-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Both.
Thrust bearings are in and out, the shaft itself is rotational (up and down, side to side).. basically if it wobbles when it moves. A little movement is normal, and necessary, you will know if its too much, they tend to break down extremely quickly.