PDA

View Full Version : Which motorsport are You most passionate about?

Mikko
11-13-2002, 03:06 AM
:burnout:

SilverRex
11-13-2002, 03:09 AM
nice mikko, now isnt this going to be a sticky..lol:D

buh_buh
11-13-2002, 03:11 AM
are we talking about participating? Or spectating?

Mikko
11-13-2002, 03:12 AM
Both, really. Some people don't participate and only spectate, and others who might like to race autocross a lot, might have a totally burning interest for touring car races or F1, and in such case should choose Touring car racing or Open wheels racing. Which ever one is more 'passionate' about.

szw
11-13-2002, 03:34 AM
I like keyboard racing. ;)

van
11-13-2002, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by szw
I like keyboard racing. ;)

Definately, I can go a whoppin 107wpm!!

4wheeldrift
11-13-2002, 07:39 AM
Everything except street drags.

92 Teg-B18A
11-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Formula 1, it's the pinnacle of road course (track) racing!

Redlyne_mr2
11-13-2002, 02:28 PM
I think you need to add bench racing to that list, the results would be at like 85%..,by the way Formula 1 rules

infamous
11-13-2002, 03:58 PM
touring car racing ownz! watching the mercedes :drool: and the worst is street racing (even though i have participated in it :D)

three.eighteen.
11-13-2002, 05:13 PM
either touring or rally for me...i cant wait for someone to pick NASCAR

eur0
11-13-2002, 05:15 PM
touring and rally by far the best but what about formula 1???

Ben
11-13-2002, 05:17 PM
I love the WRC Action, as well as LeMans...

GTS Jeff
11-13-2002, 06:12 PM
wrc for sure. those drivers are by far the worlds best drivers.

///M Power
11-13-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
wrc for sure. those drivers are by far the worlds best drivers.

Ummm... I don't know if you can really say that. I'm not agreeing with you or disagreeing, I'm just saying that that statement is pretty much impossible to prove.

RickDaTuner
11-13-2002, 08:58 PM
yup touring at the momnet but rally is comming up real quick

GTS Jeff
11-13-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by ///M Power

Ummm... I don't know if you can really say that. I'm not agreeing with you or disagreeing, I'm just saying that that statement is pretty much impossible to prove. its my opinion

Big_Six_Boy
11-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by 92 Teg-B18A
Formula 1, it's the pinnacle of road course (track) racing!

:werd: That's what I say...

Why is "Open Wheel" one of the choices?? there are at least 3 premiere different competing leagues that just having "open wheel" is much too broad. It should be divided into F1, CART, IRL. Know what I mean?

///M Power
11-13-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
its my opinion

I can live with that.

Hipermax_d
11-13-2002, 10:49 PM
i like f1 and rally.
i like the D1 drift racing even more though

SickBastard
11-13-2002, 11:34 PM
Formula 1, it's the pinnacle of road course (track) racing! WORD!!!! Schumacher OWNS!

RiCE-DaDDy
11-14-2002, 02:14 AM
ill have to go with
1. touring car
2. open wheel
3. rally
4. motorcycle

Mikko
11-14-2002, 03:00 AM
Big_Six_Boy - This forum only allows 10 alternatives for polls at the most, so I could not create all the alternatives I wished for.

I'm with Jeff - WRC drivers are the most skilled.

It's fair to say that most of the elite drivers within each of these alternatives are the best at that particular sport and area. So a WRC driver is not faster than a Touring Car champion. But if each is the elite in their area, then WRC drivers should be the most skilled in the world, for their 'area' includes pretty much all natural surfaces that can appear on/as roads known to humanity, in a constant variety. The Touring Car domain is a small one. Dry and wet tarmac, no? In the hunt for the perfect lap.

92 Teg-B18A
11-14-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by SlammedZE
WORD!!!! Schumacher OWNS!

Yeah, He did amazing this year. I still don't like him as a driver. If Ferarri hadn't used Schumachers influence to ban Beryllium Alloys West Mclaren Mercedes would still be kicking arse!

Ben
11-14-2002, 11:16 AM
I feel IMO the WRC drivers are the most skilled, anyone who has that much car control on that terrain, and at those speeds...they must clank when they walk...

boi-alien
11-14-2002, 11:19 AM
F1 baby, F1, i wanna be like mike!! :thumbsup: :D

cocoabrova
11-14-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Benny
I feel IMO the WRC drivers are the most skilled, anyone who has that much car control on that terrain, and at those speeds...they must clank when they walk...
True dat... But I enjoy watching Touring Car racing the most, especially the BTCC races:werd:

Hipermax_d
11-14-2002, 11:34 AM

i agree
have you seen their lines that they take when watching through the helicopter view?
they have to make a tight U turn and their lines are so perfect. out-in-out
so skilled, they havent driven on the course before and they make it look like its a peace of cake.

rage2
11-14-2002, 11:41 AM

That just means they have big balls, doesn't mean they are the most skilled :D.

F1 cars need much quicker reaction times than rally cars. It's been shown numerous times that top F1 guys testing rally cars are decent quick, but top rally guys testing F1 cars are really slow (there are a few exceptions of course).

Ben
11-14-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by rage2

F1 cars need much quicker reaction times than rally cars. It's been shown numerous times that top F1 guys testing rally cars are decent quick, but top rally guys testing F1 cars are really slow (there are a few exceptions of course).

Hey, like I said, thats my opinion,

rage2
11-14-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Hipermax_d
so skilled, they havent driven on the course before and they make it look like its a peace of cake.

The drivers/co-drivers gets the rally stage maps at least 30 days in advance, plus they get to visit and drive the stages (reconnasance) for a limited amount of hours to generate their track notes.

infamous
11-14-2002, 11:58 AM
yeah and the f1 drivers can watch others go around the track and they have warm up laps....it's all the same if you know what i mean...

Superesc
11-14-2002, 12:01 PM
emmm does motorsport in video game counts???

rage2
11-14-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by infamous
yeah and the f1 drivers can watch others go around the track and they have warm up laps....it's all the same if you know what i mean...

I was just trying to point out that rally drivers aren't driving the course blind, that's all :D.

Mikko
11-14-2002, 03:38 PM
rage2 - I was talking to Colin McRae today and.. J/K, actually I sent him a question on a forum but he didn't reply :banghead: - but he replied to other questions, and one was about F1 drivers making it as rally drivers.

Colin McRae Wrote: I think any professional driver can be reasonably quick in each others disciplines, but getting the last 10 percent could take a long time, or even never happen. Rallying is different, you work with somebody else in the car. With most other motorsports, you're there on your own.

///M Power
11-14-2002, 07:54 PM

Yeah, He did amazing this year. I still don't like him as a driver. If Ferarri hadn't used Schumachers influence to ban Beryllium Alloys West Mclaren Mercedes would still be kicking arse!

Damn Schumacher and that damn F2002, it beat my FW-24 into the ground!:banghead:

McLaren Mercedes blows ass!:D

92 Teg-B18A
11-15-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

True dat... But I enjoy watching Touring Car racing the most, especially the BTCC races:werd:

BTCC is crazy man! It's so fun to watch even though I've only ever seen it a few times!:(

Originally posted by ///M Power

Damn Schumacher and that damn F2002, it beat my FW-24 into the ground!:banghead:

McLaren Mercedes blows ass!:D

BMW Williams would have done alot better last year if their chassis wasn't sheeit.
Hopefully Mclaren can be somewhat competitve next year, once they get their electromagnetic valves worked out!

infamous
11-15-2002, 03:25 PM

I was just trying to point out that rally drivers aren't driving the course blind, that's all :D.

point taken. but to an extent it's the exact same. :dunno:

i really need more sleep!

4wheeldrift
11-16-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by infamous

point taken. but to an extent it's the exact same. :dunno:

i really need more sleep!

WRC drivers aren't driving the course blind. They get a Recce session to tweak their pace notes to their liking. That said, however, most of the north american rallies ARE driven blind, unless you have prior experience with the roads. Cherokee Trails last year was one of the first north american rallies to allow Recce runs and team prepared pace notes. However, being unfamiliar with the roads puts you in just as bad a situation as being unfamiliar with the track you're racing on. You can only learn so much during a couple of Recce passes, definetly not enough to memorize several hundred km's of stage roads (unless you're like carlos sainz who's been around forever and could drive most of the roads blindfolded)

Big_Six_Boy
11-19-2002, 12:53 AM

I'm totally with Rage2 on this one...
It has been PROVEN that F1 drivers are by far, the most skilled. WRC is very cool to look at for sure, but talking skill is another issue. It's all about *precision*, and in WRC there is ALOT of room for "mistakes" and still recover. (even though it doesn't look like it when you're bombing down a narrow stretch of gravel along a cliff). The precision I'm referring to is in milliseconds and braking distances of several inches. In F1, it is rarely the case that the driver can have that much room for error. The amount of mental concentration, coupled with hand-eye coordination required is beyond most people's abilities.
It's really hard to explain the timing and precision needed for F1 vs. Rally. You'll just have to take my (and Rage's) word for it. :D

Mikko
11-19-2002, 01:24 AM
If you take anything and make it short enough, limited enough, then those tolerances will seem, and be, so important. Imagine if they only got to drive a single lap in F1. Then one could talk about how important it would be to get EVERYTHING right and how there is no room for mistakes.

This would not at all prove that they are any more skilled than those who have to drive in uncontrolled enviroments and conditions. What is 'driving skill' to you, big_six_boy? Is it really just those extreme tolerances on a perfect circuit? If so, then what's the difference from that and drag racers? Couldn't one say that their skill, having to get the green light SO perfectly in order to win (with such tiny tolerances) would be the ultimate driving skill just as well?

Of course not. For that is not exactly all there is to driving skill. And so is it with F1 racing - their driving skill is very limited (albeit incredible to the extent it stretches). Neither the cars nor the road has any relevance to real driving conditions, unlike rallysports.

GTS Jeff
11-19-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Big_Six_Boy

It has been PROVEN that F1 drivers are by far, the most skilled. WRC is very cool to look at for sure, but talking skill is another issue. It's all about *precision*, and in WRC there is ALOT of room for "mistakes" and still recover.its the "recovering" part that takes skill. wrc drivers dont just drive at the limit, they drive way beyond the limits of the car, and still somehow manage to maintain their course

4wheeldrift
11-19-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Big_Six_Boy

It has been PROVEN that F1 drivers are by far, the most skilled. WRC is very cool to look at for sure, but talking skill is another issue. It's all about *precision*, and in WRC there is ALOT of room for "mistakes" and still recover. (even though it doesn't look like it when you're bombing down a narrow stretch of gravel along a cliff). The precision I'm referring to is in milliseconds and braking distances of several inches. In F1, it is rarely the case that the driver can have that much room for error. The amount of mental concentration, coupled with hand-eye coordination required is beyond most people's abilities.
It's really hard to explain the timing and precision needed for F1 vs. Rally. You'll just have to take my (and Rage's) word for it. :D

Honestly, you are dumping on the skills of some incredibly good and talented drivers. There's every bit as much precision required in rally as their is in F1. Proper vehicle placement is every bit as important to minimize time around a corner in rally as it is in F1. Precision plays every bit as important a part in rally as it does in F1 if you want to be fast. Yes, the cars are sliding around a lot. There's a reason for this. Just because the car is sliding doesn't make the drivers imprecise or less skilled. They're doing exactly what they need to, with great precision I might add, to be fast on the surface in question. Quick reaction times are one thing, and a lot of rally drivers have incredibly fast reflexes, just like F1 drivers. Yes, top F1 drivers can turn out reasonably quick times in rally cars. There's only a couple of rally drivers I can think of that have tried driving an F1 car and they did ok. Likewise, the F1 drivers that have tried rally were decently quick but they were no match for someone who had been doing it for most of their lives. There are different skill sets involved, and what works on tarmac in an F1 car definetly does not work on gravel in a rally car (at least, not nearly as well). Given a bit of time to adjust, I'm willing to bet than a lot of the rally drivers could be every bit as fast in an F1 car, and by comparison F1 drivers could be just as fast as the best rally drivers.

infamous
11-19-2002, 08:23 AM
personally i think to be a racecar driver of any kind (professional, not street) takes a lot of skill and practise. you can't expect a rally car driver that has been driving for 10 years to be able to get into an f1 car and have extremely good lap times, and vice versa. all that i care about is watching some good races, and seeing how much air that a wrc car can get! :thumbsup:

Big_Six_Boy
11-19-2002, 02:23 PM
Whoah... I think it's getting a little hot in here...
Basically, what I'm saying is that *both* F1 and Rally require extreme skills. There's no question about it.
It's just that someone else mentioned that Rally drivers are the MOST skilled (incidentally, Jacky Chan thinks so as well). I had to put it to rest that if you had to choose between the two (F1 or WRC), then F1 drivers require more skill - while Rally drivers require more technique.
You'll also see that manipulating a turn in Rally is rather rythmic. Not everyone's line is the same, because they don't need to be... the margin for error is greater.
While in F1, a bad line in one turn will result a wrong entry point on the next turn, etc.

In case any of your were wondering, Rally would be my #2 choice! :thumbsup:

TheXplosion
11-19-2002, 02:26 PM
Why iam the only one that chose hilclimbing, Dont any of you guys like off roading or watching it. I love watching off roading, but most of the time I watch it, its mostly only jeep tj's some others.

Mikko
11-19-2002, 04:39 PM
hillclimbing is mad. I like watching it, they have insane 600hp AWD light rally cars here in the fastest division.. crazy.

I think the reason is that people don't know much about it, it has very little coverage. If we put this poll in USA where most were from say, Texas or Ohio, then no one would have picked pro-rally.

I'm sorry I forgot about off-roading as a motorsport :-( Only get 10 options at the most on the polls here.

Big Six Boy - Tolerances are always larger if the racing enviroment isn't as controlled. There are so many unknowns on real roads, while a repeating circuit is extremely strictly controlled. Having less tolerances doesn't mean the person is a more skilled driver, only more skilled within that specific field.

Colin McRae drove an F1 car earlier versus some guy and set competitive lap times. And in 1986, Henri Toivonen drove the Lancia Delta S4 around the Portugese F1 track (a Group B rally car), and his best lap time would have qualified him 6th in the Portugese F1 event that year. Schumacher turned down a proposition from McRae to do a charity gig where they'd first face off in F1 cars, then in rally cars.

gpomp
11-19-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Mikko
And in 1986, Henri Toivonen drove the Lancia Delta S4 around the Portugese F1 track (a Group B rally car), and his best lap time would have qualified him 6th in the Portugese F1 event that year.

Yeah, let's see him take that car out on Monaco.

4wheeldrift
11-19-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

Yeah, let's see him take that car out on Monaco. Well, he just might if he wasn't one of the group B drivers that was killed in accidents right before they stopped running that series.