PDA

View Full Version : Mud in calgary...?

gorillam
09-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Hey, where is there to go in calgary? I dont like deep mud because I dont really have the ground clearance or the tires (bfg at/s) I just want some trails where there is mud climbs etc.. nothing too intense, I have never really dont much, but I dont want to trash my truck,..

2k1 f150, 5spd, extended cab.
285/70r17 bfg at's

CelicaST-162
09-07-2004, 12:16 PM
I am wondering also, but in the NE where the new communities are being developped theres lots of mud holes there...:thumbsup: thats about the only place i know of...

RedBull
09-07-2004, 12:53 PM
You could make the trip out to Mclean Creek in Kananaskis Country, they have all types and difficulties of terrain out there. I've ridden all over the place on my dirtbike, have fun and don't get stuck :thumbsup:

HighVelocity
09-07-2004, 01:35 PM
If you go to McLean Creek... bring your winch :thumbsup:, those puddles/gaping holes can be deceptive...

turboMiata
09-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by gorillam
I just want some trails where there is mud climbs etc.. nothing too intense, I have never really dont much, but I dont want to trash my truck,..

If you want to go bogging, I'd suggest going with a friend and bringing some recovery equipment. Tearing up a construction site and then getting yourself stuck isn't all that pleasant.

Ben
09-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by HighVelocity
If you go to McLean Creek... bring your winch :thumbsup:, those puddles/gaping holes can be deceptive...

Very true, I was out dirt biking there a couple years ago and saw a guy tearing it up in his old school blazer on this flat stretch, in the middle was a puddle, he approached it slowly and then went blasting into it and sunk his truck to the tops of the windows, was lucky he drove with his windows open cause it was too narrow to open the doors. Occupants crawled out through the windows and made it to safety. they broke a chain and then a drive shaft on the truck trying to pull them out. Drive safe and test the bogs first.

CelicaST-162
09-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata

If you want to go bogging, I'd suggest going with a friend and bringing some recovery equipment. Tearing up a construction site and then getting yourself stuck isn't all that pleasant.

Almost happened to me on some occasions...off roading with an open diff sucks:(

phat97yukon
09-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Mini McLean Creek as we call it..... 22x if you drive outta shawnessy on 6 street , across the 22x it is on the right hand side after you go across it.. it would be the sw side of the intersection.... i belive the road is called sherriff king RD... but there is some good mud in there and some good hill climbs too... that we were doin in my buddys stock S10 blazer, and my other buddy use to go there all the time in his bronco....

If all else fails go to McLean Creek, there is alot of stuff you can do in a truck with not to big of tires.... you just gotta know what trails to go on ... best bet find someone to go out with tho... we are usualy lookin for people to go with too with smaller trucks too....

phat97yukon
09-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Ben

Very true, I was out dirt biking there a couple years ago and saw a guy tearing it up in his old school blazer on this flat stretch, in the middle was a puddle, he approached it slowly and then went blasting into it and sunk his truck to the tops of the windows, was lucky he drove with his windows open cause it was too narrow to open the doors. Occupants crawled out through the windows and made it to safety. they broke a chain and then a drive shaft on the truck trying to pull them out. Drive safe and test the bogs first.

HAHAHAHAHA, sounds like what happend to my buddy 2 weeks ago.... sunk his blazer in the gravel pits up to the windshild... crawlin outta the window as it filled up with water and slowly sinking even more, and the same guy last year sunk another S10 blazer just by the gravel pits too...... if deiselpower91 see's this, post the pics from last week and last year... i think alot of people would get a great laugh outta marks stupidity

gorillam
09-08-2004, 08:22 AM
hahaha oh man, that's what happens in my nightmares..
hey gimme a shout on here if you are planning on going with smaller trucks... id be really glad to go, I do not have a winch, but I do have a 4t cumalong (i think thats how you spell it) and I might be picking up a few tow straps (im strapped for cash right now)..

That would be awesome!

phat97yukon
09-08-2004, 01:11 PM
:thumbsup: , tow straps are a good buy.... cumalongs are a headache.... lol, ive folded a few in half.. forsure drop ya a line when we go out ....CelicaST-162 let me know if you wanna come out wheeling one day with us too... usualy the biggest tires that go out with us is 33's.... but in the next couple months my buddys running 35's to 46's will be up and running again, but they are in for the long haul, vs the rest of us just go out to have some fun and get outta town...

mrbojangles
09-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by gorillam
hahaha oh man, that's what happens in my nightmares..
hey gimme a shout on here if you are planning on going with smaller trucks... id be really glad to go, I do not have a winch, but I do have a 4t cumalong (i think thats how you spell it) and I might be picking up a few tow straps (im strapped for cash right now)..

That would be awesome!

Get yourself at least one recovery strap (not a tow strap - tow straps only for towing, not recovery) with sewn in loops at each end. If you use anything for recovery with a hook or metal on the ends you stand a chance of that metal end failing (repeated snatches) flying thru windshields, back windows and through heads if you don't parachute the strap/ line. Recovery straps also stretch = slingshot effect.

Yeah, head out to the designated ohv areas with at least someone else and have fun.

phat97yukon
09-08-2004, 01:36 PM
recovery strap *tow strap* as most ppl just end up calling it....

LOL dont buy one of them lil orange ones that has the picture of the truck pullin a tractor on it... lol go to modern motors or even princess auto has them for a good price... get atlest a 3 inch by 20 foot one... that can usualy get some one close enough to yank ya out..

Hey mrbojangles, are you the crazy pathfinder that ive seen out in Waiporous a few times ????

mrbojangles
09-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by whitetrash101
...Hey mrbojangles, are you the crazy pathfinder that ive seen out in Waiporous a few times ???? [/B]

Lol, couldn't be me. :angel: There are other Pathfinder guys out there that I think are more crazier than I am 'cause I don't really get that crazy! eek: :D

turboMiata
09-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Ben

All too common. We pulled this guy out three weeks ago.

Ben
09-08-2004, 08:23 PM
ah man, I wanna go back out there again so bad.

I love going in the fall or spring on a sunny day after some good snow. makes dirtbiking and quading so damn fun!

civic_stylez
09-08-2004, 10:49 PM

hahah oh man that brings back some good memories.... as for the constuction sites, theyre great for mud...if you like getting mud in all your components and having them grind like hell when they dry out.... but hey giv'er man!!! this was us not too long ago at the evergreen construction zone....:thumbsup:

digitz
09-09-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm done with playing in construction zones, after nearly sinking my jeep. I was going to hit the puddle straight through the middle as it didnt look that deep, you can see solid ground in the middle of some of the pictures, at the last minute I veered off and went along the side, jeep almost went over. You cant really tell the angle, but it's pretty steep, ended up flooding the passenger side with water.

Sunk One (http://members.shaw.ca/digitz/jeep/DSCF0030.JPG)
Sunk Two (http://members.shaw.ca/digitz/jeep/DSCF0029.JPG)
Sunk Three (http://members.shaw.ca/digitz/jeep/DSCF0028.JPG)

dieselpower91
09-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Here's some pics of what not too do!!! Right Mark!?:tongue:

This year red blazer... Maclean creek gravel pit...

dieselpower91
09-09-2004, 01:26 PM
last year, a few seconds away from the gravel pit..

yellow blazer

dieselpower91
09-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Heres a GIF i just made of the red blazer sinking

phat97yukon
09-09-2004, 01:35 PM
HAHAHAHHAHA, look at those half out mofo's.... hahah i was standing on the back tire of the yellow one tryin not to get wet... Wasnt stupid enough to ride along for the 2nd time....

turboMiata
09-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by digitz
I'm done with playing in construction zones, after nearly sinking my jeep.....

Nice work, taping the license plate up high and away from the mud. Makes it alot easier for someone to report your plate number even when half your vehicle is submerged in the soup!

:rofl:

http://members.shaw.ca/digitz/jeep/DSCF0028.JPG

dieselpower91, is that a street sign on the roof?

digitz
09-09-2004, 04:28 PM
The company I used to work for used that site for fill etc so I had permission to be on that land. So they could report me all they wanted.

dieselpower91
09-09-2004, 04:48 PM

dieselpower91, is that a street sign on the roof?

Nope, its a paddle.

gorillam
09-10-2004, 10:04 AM
haha yeah congrats on the taping the licenceplate, I usually cover mine with snow or mud when im doing anything dumb...
well if it aint covered already

HighVelocity
09-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Nice pics! those really bring back the memories. I used to dirt bike in Maclean Creek a lot and I've seen all manner of amusing mishaps. One of my favorites was the Tracker that was submerged up to the windows in a hole barely big enough for it to fit in. The people driving it were quite astonished.

The Maclean Creek gravel pit pic there is priceless :rofl:

black j
09-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Throtle is not always the answer, go in slow and 90% of the time if it gets to hairy you can back 'er out.
But thats the difference between wheelin' and playing in puddles.

JENSSEN
09-10-2004, 03:38 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58078

Boosted131
12-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by phat97yukon
Mini McLean Creek as we call it..... 22x if you drive outta shawnessy on 6 street , across the 22x it is on the right hand side after you go across it.. it would be the sw side of the intersection.... i belive the road is called sherriff king RD... but there is some good mud in there and some good hill climbs too... that we were doin in my buddys stock S10 blazer, and my other buddy use to go there all the time in his bronco....

If all else fails go to McLean Creek, there is alot of stuff you can do in a truck with not to big of tires.... you just gotta know what trails to go on ... best bet find someone to go out with tho... we are usualy lookin for people to go with too with smaller trucks too.... is this still a place to offroad?

FraserB
12-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
is this still a place to offroad?

Seriously?

Boosted131
12-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Seriously?
we were going to check it out today but did maclean instead

FraserB
12-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Do you honestly think a plot of land next to a major highway and a few communities is a legal offroad area?

Unknown303
12-22-2013, 11:04 PM
And this thread's from 2004 so it's probably a community by now.

Boosted131
12-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Do you honestly think a plot of land next to a major highway and a few communities is a legal offroad area? Yes, there was one I rode at for 3 years, and now stoney trail is through it...

speedog
12-23-2013, 12:14 AM
9 year bump, that's got to be close to a record.

Boosted131
12-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Haha it showed up on google search. We were looking for some off-roading in Calgary after our spot got partially closed

DEATH2000
01-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
And this thread's from 2004 so it's probably a community by now.
Sheriff King St is now the main road leading into Silverado...