PDA

View Full Version : Oil Additive from Dealership?

MrMiyagi
09-08-2004, 07:12 PM
I just moved to Calgary, and I went in for the first time for my 42,000Km service at Sunridge Nissan. After I got back, I noticed something on the bill when I got back: they charged me $11.95 for MOA (Motor oil additive) What the heck is that?

I've been to dealerships before and had tonnes of oil changes, and I've never been charged $11.95 for additive. It cost me more on the bill than the $11 they charged for the oil. After questioning the guy when I got the bill (it hadn't sunk in yet) he said that "In alberta, motor oil only lasts 3000Km, so they need to add the addtitive to get it up to 6,000km" Is this a bunk charge?

dasdin
09-08-2004, 07:55 PM
:bullshit:

Ichigo
09-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Sounds like they were playing ya for a fool. If they are gonna add additive.. why dont they just put in synthetic??

GTS Jeff
09-08-2004, 10:20 PM
yea thats bs. if u didnt ask for it, they cant charge u. tell them that theyre waive the charge or theyll have to drain it out and put in oil only.

Mike09
09-08-2004, 10:59 PM
I actually work for Nissan.
May I ask who the fuck your Service Advsior was?????

Please pm me as I'd love a response.

MrMiyagi
09-09-2004, 07:49 AM
I think I'm just not going to go back to Sunridge -- I just went there because it's on the North side, but I guess I can go somewhere else on a Saturday or soemthing next time. Does anybody have any suggestions for another Nissan place in town? (I live downtown, and work in the NE)

RiceCake
09-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Brasso was my favorite dealer to get work done at. Not sure if they are open on Saturday though, call them at 253-5555:thumbsup:

don_xtc
11-10-2004, 07:37 AM
After reading this article I wouldn't put any additives in my engine... Its raises some very interesting points...

http://skepdic.com/slick50.html

copy and paste if the link doesn't work

MrMiyagi
11-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Man! Stop reminding me! I just started forgettign about it, and now I'm mad again! :banghead: :tongue:

statick
11-10-2004, 01:45 PM
brasso nissan is probably has the best service out any nissan dealerships in calgary. when i went to sunridge nissan for servicing, i dealt with a guy by the name of larry lalonde, he gave me some bullsht bout what my car needed, but other than that, he was pretty easy to deal with.

Xtrema
11-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Brasso offer shuttle bus to downtown while Stadium offer free C-train rides.

Brasso is better in service department but Stadium ain't too bad if you don't want to go all the way to Glenmore in the south.

AllGoNoShow
11-12-2004, 12:19 PM
or jsut change your own oil :dunno:

ninspeed
11-12-2004, 07:03 PM
MOA is a BG product... we sell it at our dealership, but there was a buletin from GM last week saying they do not suggest any additives of any kind are used in the oil, gas, coolant and tranny like most people are led to belive

93VR6
08-20-2012, 02:33 PM
I realize this thread is old but Fish Creek Nissan recommended I add this to my oil, I told them I'll have to go home and do some research since I had never heard of BG MOA (Motor oil additive). In my personal opinion I think additives like this are BS but there seems to be arguments on both sides of the issue, personally I prefer suggestions from local people that have experience and I find Beyond's knowledge base to be larger and more trustworthy than most.

Car is 07 Xterra with 125k if its relevant?

Thanks

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-20-2012, 04:00 PM
BG stuff is crap, we stopped using it where I work last year.

dj_rice
08-20-2012, 04:11 PM
I work at a Nissan dealer in Parts.

From what I was told by a tech, the BG MOA makes your oil last longer so that you can do longer intervals before changing your oil or something to that effect.

All I know is, I don't buy any of the BS Upsell stuff the mechanics try to push.

CapnCrunch
08-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 93VR6
I realize this thread is old but Fish Creek Nissan recommended I add this to my oil, I told them I'll have to go home and do some research since I had never heard of BG MOA (Motor oil additive). In my personal opinion I think additives like this are BS but there seems to be arguments on both sides of the issue, personally I prefer suggestions from local people that have experience and I find Beyond's knowledge base to be larger and more trustworthy than most.

Car is 07 Xterra with 125k if its relevant?

Thanks

Complete garbage. Don't put it in, and find someone else to change your oil.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-20-2012, 05:06 PM
The MOA is part of a hot oil flush that Nissan uses for some of their services. You paid 11$ for Hot flush kit with MOA.

The MOA is an additive that basically helps the properties of conventional bulk oil. Nothing wrong with it, you can request for them to not perform the hot oil flush if you want but its doing no harm.

dj_rice
08-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
The MOA is part of a hot oil flush that Nissan uses for some of their services. You paid 11$ for Hot flush kit with MOA.

The MOA is an additive that basically helps the properties of conventional bulk oil. Nothing wrong with it, you can request for them to not perform the hot oil flush if you want but its doing no harm.

No, he just paid for MOA only.

The Hot Oil Flush kit is around $30-40 and its a 3 piece kit.

Rat Fink
08-20-2012, 06:09 PM

93VR6
08-21-2012, 02:14 AM
Thanks everyone, won't be using Many BG MOA for sure now.

Originally posted by dj_rice

No, he just paid for MOA only.

The Hot Oil Flush kit is around $30-40 and its a 3 piece kit.

I didn't pay for anything... I told them I needed to go home and research it.

junkcarguy
08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
MOA is the same additive package that is already in the oil you are using. For people who change their oil regularily, you wont receive any benefit.

For those who go over their oil change intervals, the MOA will keep the oil performing until they change the oil.

If you go way past your service level, then a hot oil flush would be recommended. You need to clean up the crank case from all the crap that bad oil leaves behind. Just changing your oil will not clean up the inside of your engine.

Again though, if you are in the minority of people who change their oil consistently, you dont need it. If you are the majority of the people who go past the oil change interval, you need an MOA.

All oils have an ad pack added to it. MOA is just a vitamin pill of more of that ad pack.

Wdave40
08-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

s dime
08-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Wdave40

2 posts so far, 2 free plugs for the snake oil.:bullshit:

HO2S
08-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Wdave40

I think some one works for BG.

Protection plan my ass. You will never get BG to own up to it if their product killed something. I've been down that road already.
They sell a whole line up of snake oil, I've found the only one that actually works is their fuel flush.
But they do make very good shop equipment.

Zhariak
08-30-2012, 06:58 AM
I'm no car guy....

But isn't the oil used for cooling, and also flushing metal shrapnel out of the engine?

Again, no car guy, but wouldn't it be smart to change it when your supposed to instead of letting metal shit float around your engine?

revelations
08-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Zhariak
I'm no car guy....

But isn't the oil used for cooling, and also flushing metal shrapnel out of the engine?

Again, no car guy, but wouldn't it be smart to change it when your supposed to instead of letting metal shit float around your engine?

Not a car guy? Oil is used for LUBRICATION, coolant for COOLING.

And I believe an OIL FILTER keeps metal shrapnel in one place :dunno:

Shouldnt drivers should at least know the basics :dunno:

Zhariak
08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Not a car guy? Oil is used for LUBRICATION, coolant for COOLING.

And I believe an OIL FILTER keeps metal shrapnel in one place :dunno:

Shouldnt drivers should at least know the basics :dunno:

lmao... I apologize for my major fail... :) Let's keep the dis-honor I have caused to my family to this post! hehe