PDA

View Full Version : slk owners!!!

bksze
11-13-2002, 03:48 PM
forgive my ignorance but do they not make manual slks??? i find it hard to believe that mercedes would make a roadster that does not come in stick, and also, the slk320, can you add a charger to that engine to make it a 32? or is there more to the engine than just adding the charger???

buh_buh
11-13-2002, 03:48 PM
they have manual in SLK, just not the AMG version of it.

Ben
11-13-2002, 04:00 PM
Basically same motor.

bksze
11-13-2002, 04:01 PM
no manual in the amg? that's gay, so to Kenny, how's the amg in terms of driving? is it fun???

infamous
11-13-2002, 04:03 PM
it does have the "tiptronic" on all tranny's though...it is basically a clutchless manual....i have driven a clk 320 with it and it is fun...but still you don't have as much fun as a real true manual. but at least kenny can't stall when he would race :D

Ben
11-13-2002, 04:06 PM
The Tranny in the AMG is awesome, you can treat it just like a manual pretty much except no clutch...Take a ride on the track at Race City and tell me if its fun or not, haha, what a sick car!

320: 3,199-cc SOHC 18-valve 90° V-6. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block, alloy heads

32: AMG-built intercooled supercharged 3,199-cc SOHC 18-valve 90° V-6. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Reinforced crankshaft and valvetrain. Alloy Heads. Lightweight camshafts.

AMG-enhanced driver-adaptive electronic 5-speed automatic. Touch Shift allows driver to manually downshift and allow upshifts by nudging the shift lever left or right from the Drive position. SpeedShift™ provides up to 35% faster gear changes, automatically downshifts during braking, prevents unwanted upshifting while cornering, offers one-touch selection of the best gear for maximum acceleration, and features torque converter lockup in all forward gears. Also includes driver-selectable winter mode and instrument-cluster display of selected gear range.

rage2
11-13-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by bksze
forgive my ignorance but do they not make manual slks??? i find it hard to believe that mercedes would make a roadster that does not come in stick

They make 6 speed SLK's... the 230 Kompressor, and the 320. The 32 AMG is only available with the speedshift 5-speed automatic with "tiptronic" style shifts.

also, the slk320, can you add a charger to that engine to make it a 32? or is there more to the engine than just adding the charger???

There's quite a bit different from the 320 engine to the 32 AMG engine. Crank is stronger, stronger rods, different pistons, different cams, different intake manifolds, supercharger, intercooler, intake manifold...

Other parts that are different, tranny, brakes, suspension (SLK 32 AMG uses Eibach/AMG springs and differently valved shocks)

It's definately cheaper to sell a 320 and buy a 32 than to upgrade a 320 into a 32.

rage2
11-13-2002, 04:37 PM
no manual in the amg? that's gay, so to Kenny, how's the amg in terms of driving? is it fun???

My SLK 320 is an automatic as well. The tranny is about 30% slower in terms of shift times compared to the AMG tranny, but it's still very quick for track use. The AT vs MT debate is quite old (there's like 5 threads on here alone regarding teh subject matter). Basically, it depends on what you define as fun. If you define fun as rowing through the gears on a back winding road, then you'll hate the SLK 32 AMG no matter how fast it is. If you define fun as being able to drive really fast at the track and be consistent as well, then the SLK 32 AMG fits the bill nicely.

Personally, I enjoy my SLK on the track more than the 944 turbo. Even though the 944 turbo is hella fast, it's a chore, and I have to be careful in my braking points if I don't want to get into an accident ($$$). With the SLK 320 and the auto tranny, I late brake and trail brake into all the corners, never worry about missing a shift, always being in the right gear and basically being able to push the car to it's limits with less risk.

On the streets, the 944 turbo is more fun, till I hit rush hour :D.

Ferrari and BMW are moving their top performance cars to clutchless semi-automatics for a reason :thumbsup:.

max_boost
11-13-2002, 05:27 PM
I've driven the AMG and all I can say is:drool: :love:

I hope you like attention because you will getting lots with this car!

bksze
11-13-2002, 06:15 PM
well i'm not saying i'm getting this car yet but i'm just looking into it, gain some knowledge as there are quite a few people on here with that car it seems, as i have never driven a clutchless manual before, some of my comments may be a bit biased towards having good ole stick so by no means am I dissing this new system without giving it a try, i just figured that with a roadster, manual would for sure be one of the options . . . some more questions

is that clutchless auto a standard on all slks? or is it an option? and does it have a name to the option??? also, what's a 2001 320 or a 32 going for these days anwyays as the only ones I can seem to find or 230s . . . just to double check, the 2001 is the new bodystyle correct? or somewhat new anyways?

max_boost
11-13-2002, 06:29 PM
The bodystyle is the same with minor touch ups here and there, the AMG 32 is a 2002 model.

Expect to pay $70K+ for the SLK32 and $50K+ for the 320

I think its called speedshift?:dunno:

The SLK is like two in one! A coupe and a convertible!

The S2000 would be pimp too, give that some thought!

[GaGe]
11-13-2002, 06:31 PM

triptronnic. :thumbsup:

kenny
11-13-2002, 07:21 PM
is that clutchless auto a standard on all slks? or is it an option? and does it have a name to the option??? also, what's a 2001 320 or a 32 going for these days anwyays as the only ones I can seem to find or 230s . . . just to double check, the 2001 is the new bodystyle correct? or somewhat new anyways?

The auto is an option on the 320, and is commonly referred to as "sportshift". It is a 5 speed manually controllable automatic transmission (not an automatically controlled manual transmission).

The auto on the 32 is standard and is referred to as "speedshift". It is a 5 speed manually controllable automatic transmission from AMG offering ~30% faster shifts, and other improvements such as automatic downshifts on hard braking, holding on to gears during cornering, or moments of off throttle.

MSRP on a SLK320 is $61,950 (+$1500 for the auto)
MSRP on a 2002 SLK32 is $76,900
MSRP on a 2003 SLK32 is $77,500

As you can see the price difference is really low, so upgrading a 320 to a 32 is simply not worth the $. Buying the body kit, and wheels alone gets the price of a 320 close to the 32. Now add in the engine upgrades, tranny, rear diff, suspension, supercharger and parts alone would exceed the cost of a real 32 from the factory.

In 2001 there were minor changes to the body style, commonly referred to as the facelift. You'll read on many SLK forums about "pre facelift slks, and post facelift slks".

Hope that answers your questions!

rage2
11-13-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by kenny
The auto is an option on the 320, and is commonly referred to as "sportshift".

Actually it's called the "touchshift". Sportshift is what Honda calls their auto/tiptronic style trannies.

Buying the body kit, and wheels alone gets the price of a 320 close to the 32.

I was one of the few that was suckered into a 320 before the 32 was announced. Even dumber mistake, I gave up my position on the waiting list and I'm still friggin' waiting...

Chu
11-13-2002, 07:55 PM
When girlracer told me about the SLK 32 AMG stats I was quite impressed and the price is extremely reasonable. The SLK 32 AMG is a great car. My parents are on the waiting list for the new E55, I hope they put the exact same engine they have in the SL 55 or they won't buy it.

gpomp
11-13-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Chu
When girlracer told me about the SLK 32 AMG stats I was quite impressed and the price is extremely reasonable. The SLK 32 AMG is a great car. My parents are on the waiting list for the new E55, I hope they put the exact same engine they have in the SL 55 or they won't buy it.

I heard it's the same engine but doesn't produce as much power because of the exhaust or something...

rage2
11-13-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Chu
My parents are on the waiting list for the new E55, I hope they put the exact same engine they have in the SL 55 or they won't buy it.

hehe I'm first on the list at Lone Star for the new E55. It's coming with only 476hp, even though it's the same engine. A few simple (but pricey) mods will get the car up to 550hp (equivilent to the SLR's engine).

Redlyne_mr2
11-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by rage2

hehe I'm first on the list at Lone Star for the new E55. It's coming with only 476hp, even though it's the same engine. A few simple (but pricey) mods will get the car up to 550hp (equivilent to the SLR's engine).
whats wrong rage the slk32 just wasnt good enough for you...greedy bastard:D :thumbsup:

Stratus_Power
11-13-2002, 08:31 PM
I will take the 320 off you for 20k when theE55 arrives :poosie:

Chu
11-13-2002, 11:11 PM

I knew that already, girlracer (Jackie) told me. So are you parents getting the E55 or you?

rage2
11-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Chu
I knew that already, girlracer (Jackie) told me. So are you parents getting the E55 or you?

Depends. If I decide to start a family, I'm giving the SLK 32 (still haven't shown up yet... grrr) to my parents and I'll be taking the E55. If there's no kids in the near future, then my parents will probably take it, and I'll just track it occassionally :D.

bksze
11-13-2002, 11:44 PM

The auto is an option on the 320, and is commonly referred to as "sportshift". It is a 5 speed manually controllable automatic transmission (not an automatically controlled manual transmission).

The auto on the 32 is standard and is referred to as "speedshift". It is a 5 speed manually controllable automatic transmission from AMG offering ~30% faster shifts, and other improvements such as automatic downshifts on hard braking, holding on to gears during cornering, or moments of off throttle.

MSRP on a SLK320 is $61,950 (+$1500 for the auto)
MSRP on a 2002 SLK32 is $76,900
MSRP on a 2003 SLK32 is $77,500

As you can see the price difference is really low, so upgrading a 320 to a 32 is simply not worth the $. Buying the body kit, and wheels alone gets the price of a 320 close to the 32. Now add in the engine upgrades, tranny, rear diff, suspension, supercharger and parts alone would exceed the cost of a real 32 from the factory.

In 2001 there were minor changes to the body style, commonly referred to as the facelift. You'll read on many SLK forums about "pre facelift slks, and post facelift slks".

Hope that answers your questions!

the problem isn't the money, well that's an issue but not the main one, the problem is the fact that i can't get an amg, unless you want to sell yours!!! so i think at this stage, the 320 is the only option as i called lonestar today and they said the wait list is so long that i may as well go for the slk30 amg

they told me i needed to put a $3000 deposit down, i was told somewhere on here that all they needed was a grand, am i gettin jacked?? haha

rage2
11-13-2002, 11:53 PM
the problem isn't the money, well that's an issue but not the main one, the problem is the fact that i can't get an amg, unless you want to sell yours!!!

Is color choice an important factor? If not, you can probably find a 2003 Silver SLK 32 AMG quite easily. The waiting list is only for people that want factory orders... specific colors, interiors, etc.

kenny
11-14-2002, 04:01 AM
Actually it's called the "touchshift". Sportshift is what Honda calls their auto/tiptronic style trannies.

I said commonly referred to as! Quiet. I have spoken. Sportshift it is! :rofl: