PDA

View Full Version : shortness of breath/need a family doctor

Made_To_Love
09-09-2004, 10:59 AM
For the past month or so I have been having really bad shortness of breath. It usually occurs when I wake up in the morning, or when I go for a walk. I was thinking it might be a mild case of asthma but I'm not too sure. Does anyone know of a good family doctor I can go to to try and figure this thing out. Or can I just go to one of those Medi-Centres and maybe they can help me? I really need some help because before I moved out of my parents home they did all the medical appointments for me, and I didn't like their family doctor at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Melinda
09-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Medi center would be your best bet to start with, but ask them if there are any family doctors close to you taking new patients...there are millions of people in canada who cant get family doctors cause none of them are taking new patients, and I'm one of them. So good luck finding one and I hope you feel better soon.

Made_To_Love
09-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks. My chest hurts pretty bad right now. I don't even feel like eating. I think not being able to breathe has got to be the worst feeling ever.

00redLUDE
09-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
Medi center would be your best bet to start with, but ask them if there are any family doctors close to you taking new patients...there are millions of people in canada who cant get family doctors cause none of them are taking new patients, and I'm one of them. So good luck finding one and I hope you feel better soon.

To start looking for a family physician you can ask friends or family if their GP is taking any new patients. Also, you can call Calgary Health Link at 943-5465 and ask them to fax or mail you a list of GPs in the city that are still taking new patients. But be patient because I've had some people call the doctors on that list and they tell them that they didn't know they were still on the list because they are not taking any more patients. Good luck!

Originally posted by Made_To_Love
Thanks. My chest hurts pretty bad right now. I don't even feel like eating. I think not being able to breathe has got to be the worst feeling ever.

Dude, get off the forum and get to a walk in clinic now! You need a doctor to listen to your lungs to see what the hell is going on! No one here can listen to your lungs. Go, go, go!!!

Melinda
09-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by 00redLUDE
To start looking for a family physician you can ask friends or family if their GP is taking any new patients. Also, you can call Calgary Health Link at 943-5465 and ask them to fax or mail you a list of GPs in the city that are still taking new patients. But be patient because I've had some people call the doctors on that list and they tell them that they didn't know they were still on the list because they are not taking any more patients. Good luck!
Yeah, I have that list. 40% of them say they should be taken off the list cause they're full, 20% are only taking pregnant ladies, 20% are only taking old people and the 20% are like a 45 min drive from my house. If I am gonna get a family doctor to see when I'm sick or sprained ect, driving 45 mins to get there is the last thing I want to do

^SkylinE^
09-09-2004, 02:36 PM
It could also be a heart problem? Angina and what not? Do you have a history of asthma? Are you spitting up green crap...could be pneumonia. Get to a doctor NOW!

A_3
09-09-2004, 02:48 PM
^ It could be pneumonia, but I doubt it. When I had it I was a mess, the lack of breathing was the last of my worries, I couldn't do anything.

FiveFreshFish
09-09-2004, 02:50 PM
I had mild asthma diagnosed when I was 20, so it can happen at any stage in life.

If you do have asthma and your doctor prescribes a puffer, get the powder form ("Ventodisk"). It tastes much better and you don't waste any of it. Plus you always know exactly how many doses you have left.

xrayvsn
09-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Medi-centres are hit-and-miss, and usually a miss, since they are about volume, and not necessarily good medicine. Better to find a GP. For the time being, go to your old family doc that you went to with your parents. You should still be able to see him/her, since you are already a patient. None of us can diagnose what you have on an internet forum. There are other possibilities than asthma, and you need to be seen to sort this out.

Once you sort this out, look for a new GP. I have friends who practice family medicine in Calgary. I can call them and arrange something for you. They're younger, good physicians. Where in the city do you hope to find a doc?

GTS Jeff
09-09-2004, 08:17 PM
uhhhh whatever possessed u to go on a car forum instead of pulling a phonebook?