PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass encloser help

Scat
09-09-2004, 02:36 PM
So I want to make a custom box for my sub to mount in the passenger side of my trunk. My only problem I have is that I am tight for space. The sub is a 12" eclipse and I want a small sealed enclsore. I just don't know whether I should make an MDF box and make it fit as cleanly as possible, or if I should make a mould of the space I am putting it into and do a total fiberglass box. Or the last option would be to mount the sob in a sealed MDF box with a fiberglass cover to make everything fit cleanly. This is the procedure that I am leaning towards, but I have never made an enclosure from fiberglass and Im not sure what to expect or if there are recomended procedures to follow. I am good with fiberglass and have used it for body work, just not somehting like this. I have heard of using expanding foam or a wooden frame to create the original shape of the box, but are there any other ways of doing this?

Its hard to see from the pic, but the circled panel houses the spare tire which I will be removing, and that is where I plan to mount the sub/box. I am just looking for any tips or suggestions to make this install go as easy as possible.