PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex users/ex-users

LancerShelby
09-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Give me your thoughts. Looking into one.

1badPT
09-09-2004, 11:09 PM
I can't speak for bowflex specifically, but my home gym has bands instead of weights which is the same principle behind bowflex. With weights you run into 2 major problems:

momentum - ie you start moving the weight really quickly and then when you get to the part of your range of motion that needs the most work, the momentum carries the weight through instead of your muscle moving it through and you don't work that part of your range of motion properly

leverage - most home gyms use levers or pulleys which can make it hard to know exactly much weight you can actually move. Sometimes you'll hear people saying they can bench rediculously high numbers but put them under a barbell with that weight and they can't move it.

I'm considering a bowflex too because my gym simply takes too long to switch setups - i'm looking at replacing my screw links with those lever clasps, but I'm also going to need to replace my bands with higher resistance ones so I might just sell it and get a bowflex too.

sexualbanana
09-10-2004, 12:57 AM
There was a problem my buddy had when he was using the bowflex. I think he was just too big for the machine. The cables were rubbing against his shoulder while doing the bench press and there wasn't a way to not rub.

By big, I mean my buddy is a 200 lbs running back.

three.eighteen.
09-10-2004, 12:59 AM
from what im told, they suck compared to real weights

Chim
09-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Real weights are always the best. If you have room, you can buy enough free weights and equipment to make up for everything the bowflex can do, except it'd also end up costing less. I dont think you can do deadlifts with the bowflex either and those are one of the "Big 3" exercises.

Gspotracer
09-10-2004, 03:36 PM
How much does a BowFlex cost:dunno:

awd
09-10-2004, 04:04 PM
There has been an ongoing debate regarding free weights vs. machines for strength training. While each can help you build strength there are definite pros and cons for each. The following can help you determine what form of strength equipment is best for your needs.

Machines:

The most important component in any strength training program is safety.

If you are new to strength training or if you are working out alone, variable resistance machines are the best bet. While machines can be a viable option for serious weight training, they are best for novice, senior and recreational athletes.

For rehabilitating injured athletes, variable resistance machines are preferred. They provide a more controlled motion and specifically isolate certain muscle groups. Machines also allow you to track progress and provide objective feedback while increasing the protective participation of the healthy limb or muscle group.

Free Weights:

Research has shown that free weights promote quicker strength gains and they require more balance and coordination than do the weight machines. Free weights recruit more muscle groups than variable resistance machines, which tend to only isolate specific muscles.

Free weights are also more versatile than machines because they allow for more variations in range of motion. Free weights require balance, and they tend to promote more activity of the joint stabilizer muscles. Finally, they are considerably less expensive than most of the machines on the market. You can perform a complete strength training routine with a few dumbbells, and a little imagination.

However, free weights require the help of a spotter, and result in more injuries than machines. Careful instruction and training is necessary to master the art of free weight lifting.
Actually, an ideal training program may incorporate both free weights and machines on alternating training days. In order to get the most from both muscle strength gains and joint stability, you can focus on free weights for some exercises and machines for others.

The bottom line is that you should use the strength training equipment that suits your training needs, is safe, and is convenient. However, if you are comfortable using free weights you may see greater strength gains here than with machines.

NiteRider
09-10-2004, 04:16 PM
if its not at the gyms, then its a pos
dont waste your money
get a gym pass

BloodBaneZXY
09-10-2004, 06:58 PM
^^^ agreed

max_boost
09-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Don't do it.....:rofl:
I am speaking from experience, waste of money! haha
Although it shouldn't be too bad since used ones go for fairly cheap. Don't get suckered into buying a new one:banghead:

pyro
09-10-2004, 10:54 PM
i have one and havent had any problems works great:thumbsup:

JordanLotoski
09-10-2004, 10:56 PM
join a gym...will end up collecting dust

NiteRider
09-11-2004, 02:01 AM
if it was such a great product, every gym would have it

since i dont see it anywhere........
u get the picture

Gspotracer
09-11-2004, 02:14 AM
I also agree home machines just gather dust, however so do lots of peoples Gym passes. Without self motivation both are just as useless

1badPT
09-11-2004, 07:11 AM
My home gym doesn't gather dust... some people prefer to work out at the gym others at home. Since I circuit train, the last thing I need is to be part way through my circuit, heart rate up, muscles almost at total failure and needing a certain machine that someone is already using :dunno: At home the longest I wait is the few minutes it takes to change my setup.

The advantages of bowflex are only going to be attractive to home users instead of gyms - IE small space required, relatively light compared to other home gyms (most gyms have to go in a basement because of how heavy they are assembled) and fast setup changes - gyms have the room for specialized equipment instead of having a need for an "all in one" so speedy setup changes are not a benefit for gyms.

What makes a good home gym doesn't necessarily make a good piece of gym equipment. Different needs altogether.

Cixz
09-12-2004, 11:12 PM
personaly i think you could do both

because your going to hit a point in the gym where u cant do to much more and ur going to need to change it up every once in a while so then u could use ur boyflex

thats what im doing rate now and it works amazing

so every couple months switch up because the best thing if u want to tone at all with the bow flex u can pull of some sick circut training which will abuse ur muscles hardcore, trust me iv done it.

like im only 18 and i got too 195 pounds of solid muscle doing this and no i wasnt on the juice if u guys are thinking that but once u get sick u loose lots of it fast so im just starting it up again

but i suggest getting a used one
dont but a bran new one

LancerShelby
09-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Cool. I think I'll stick to buying a basic set of freeweights instead. Less room is needed for them too.:thumbsup:

SkylineAdmirer
09-17-2004, 09:31 PM
buy dumbells, way cheaper, don't get a gym pass, i have 1, i went there in the summer becausei had tons of free time, but now that schools up, i just don't have the time, im betting u wont either.

rockym20
09-20-2004, 11:16 AM
You don't need to even get a full weight set. All you need is a dumbells set and a bench. Montel Williams (ya, ya, I know, but my wife bought the book) has a good workout book based on just using dumbells.

Gondi Stylez
09-21-2004, 10:32 AM
i was interested in buying the bowfelx and i like what different reviews have said on the machine! im also with 1badPT, i train for sprinting so sometimes using the gym is usless when u have to wait... damn busy MRC gym!! although its a sweet ass gym!!

Jumper
09-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Hi,

I used to work at a fitness store. We had several customers return their bowflex on the 90 day money back thing and buy a steel multi-gym from us. One customer who baught the Delux version even had so much money left over he also baught a mid-grade treadmill.

For a home multi gym I would try the Hoist V3 (or the V5 if you have some extra bucks laying around). These are great small gyms with everything you need for a strength workout and very little configuration changes to do each exercise. www.hoistfitness.com

Jumper

5hift
11-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Recently there was a huge recall on the Bowflex because there have been many cases of it just falling apart on people when they are in the middle of an exericse. There have been some serious injuries and now you can even see bowflex is moving towards free weights (some of their new ads have the bowflex version of free weights and a bench).

You are better off just using the tried and true method of free weights. Save your self yourself money and apparently now serious head injuries and go for free weights :thumbsup:

Carfanman
11-29-2004, 02:12 PM
800 000 bowflex machines recalled (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66399&highlight=bowflex+recalled)

I just ordered the body row from ebay, including shipping cost 126 usd as opposed to 200 plus shipping.
Looks great, great reviews, and I cant wait till it gets here on tuesday. I ordered it from a company called "the brown box" who has a lot of bowflexes on ebay. Id suggest getting it from them because they are an actual company and not just a person who you dont know how reliable he is.

smokedog
11-30-2004, 06:39 PM
i would rather spend the money on a personal trainer..there was a bowflex at sportcheck for 1100

LancerShelby
11-30-2004, 11:33 PM
I ended up buying a pair of dumbells and 120lbs worth of plates, and now I need more weight. Ya, $130 is better than $1100.