PDA

View Full Version : So who's broke, or gonna be broke...

V6-BoI
09-09-2004, 11:50 PM
from buying text books? Shit if I buy all mine new it's gonna cost over 700 bucks. Fuck that's like a catback exhaust... *sigh* hopefully I won't need to buy them all.

t-im
09-10-2004, 12:11 AM
My books were only 250 for this semester (4 courses)...

eb0i
09-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by V6-BoI
from buying text books? Shit if I buy all mine new it's gonna cost over 700 bucks. Fuck that's like a catback exhaust... *sigh* hopefully I won't need to buy them all.

I'm guessing you had to buy all new books?

H4LFY2nR
09-10-2004, 03:04 AM
Yup I'm in the process of becoming broke. $723 for my first semester!!!! I'm taking first year engineering at UofC, and yes I did buy new. I figure if the bookstore buys them back at 50% of the new price and resells them for 75% of the new price, then I can keep mine in good condition and sell them for 60-70% privately. Either way I'll at least make half of it back.:dunno:

sexy_sunshine
09-10-2004, 11:10 AM
I had to buy all new books :( $650.00 bucks gone. Hopefully they'll be put to good use this semester. All the teachers told me that I needed the books. Oh well, i'll get to sell them all back next year because they'll be using them for the winter semester!!!:clap:

Mckenzie
09-10-2004, 11:24 AM
I just got an email saying that my OPMA book was wrongly priced at $25 and that it should have been $105. I guess I lucked out there.

Other than that, I did really well this year. Only about $275 for four classes.

ApexDrift
09-10-2004, 11:30 AM
broke~! and on my way to having to prostitue my body on the streets to buy more books and supplys!... what ever you do dont goto SAIT they scam everything out of you...:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

2002civic
09-10-2004, 01:26 PM
take the drive down to leth, my books for 4 classes were 425 and i saw in calgary would have been over 600 for the same books

V6-BoI
09-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

I'm guessing you had to buy all new books?

I think for 3 out of 5 I gotta buy new. I think I can buy 2 books used. I'm not gonna buy them all yet until a couple weeks into classes. I just hope the prof's notes are good enough so I don't need a text book.

nismodrifter
09-11-2004, 11:20 AM
just spend $255 on books......and thats only HALF of what I need :( :( :( fark

?????
09-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by ApexDrift
broke~! and on my way to having to prostitue my body on the streets to buy more books and supplys!... what ever you do dont goto SAIT they scam everything out of you...:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Hey i go to SAIT i only spent $60 for a used text book this semester. :thumbsup:

finboy
09-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by sexy_sunshine
I had to buy all new books :( $650.00 bucks gone. Hopefully they'll be put to good use this semester. All the teachers told me that I needed the books. Oh well, i'll get to sell them all back next year because they'll be using them for the winter semester!!!:clap:

:werd:

$600 on books this semester, damn :(

Marsh
09-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Damn i basically lost all the money i earned over summer paying tuition and buying books
Damn U of C:guns:

V6-BoI
09-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah U of C is retarded. They say the bookstore is suppose to help students save money, but they probably mark up the books so much. They are probably raking in mad cash.

BebeAphrodite
09-11-2004, 03:42 PM
well u of c is one of the most expensive schools to attend
which is bs if u ask me cuz we're not even ranked that well
arggg.
mine are around 600 something and i can't get old books cuz they changed the editions so it has to be the newest
i thought i had some cheap books cuz wheni went to the bookstore, the books were around 26 bucks.. then i looked again and realised there were around five to buy for one class
arggg!

V6-BoI
09-11-2004, 08:13 PM
I dunno, they say how crappy of a university U of C is, but the engineering facutly seems pretty good. :dunno:

eb0i
09-12-2004, 05:42 PM
the ranking system is BS and they rank on just a specific faculty as well.

Now i'm not defending the U of C, because I've had my share of bad profs and courses but I'm just saying that the ranking system is really not that good of a system.

LUDELVR
09-12-2004, 07:08 PM
haha, I'm so glad that I don't have to spend money at that shithole that they call a university! That place is so over priced. I mean they keep fucking raising tuition every year and changing the books for classes so you can't reuse them!! haha, fuck the system and go photocopy the books, go to staples, they charge something like 5 cents per page! :thumbsup:

Yay for being finished!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

max_boost
09-12-2004, 07:36 PM
How about:

1. Buy used
2. Split the costs with a buddy (sharing doesn't work)
3. Spend sometime at Staples photocopying off a buddy who bought a new one
4. Skip the book and use other resources i.e. internet, class notes(I know this doesn't apply to some courses)

I haven't bought a new book in awhile:devil:

ehos
09-12-2004, 08:12 PM
I remember some guy forgot the photocopying 'keylock' (free copies) and we just photocopied every chapter we needed.

And sharing is great, you study better and you're motivated to study.

kiwi
09-12-2004, 08:22 PM
That's what me & my friends did last year... we just borrowed the book from someone & photocopied it! It costed about 20 something dollars to copy at 5 cents per page at MacHall... but the book was selling for $170 at the bookstore :thumbsdow

finboy
09-12-2004, 08:26 PM
photocopy books? damn, that'll save me TONS of $$$ :thumbsup:

V6-BoI
09-12-2004, 09:43 PM
I dunno if I wanna photo copy my text books, cuz I dont' think I have the patience to stand there for like 2 hours to do the whole thing.

t-im
09-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI
I dunno if I wanna photo copy my text books, cuz I dont' think I have the patience to stand there for like 2 hours to do the whole thing.

their is a place in downtown that photocopies books for you!...and binds it and puts covers on it!

crazydriver
09-12-2004, 09:50 PM
i blew like 600 bucks too, stupid new texts, lol
o btw i have an Stats textbook for sell (Introductory Statistics), brand new (cuz i got the wrond edition), PM if anyone wants it

max_boost
09-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by t-im

their is a place in downtown that photocopies books for you!...and binds it and puts covers on it! That is correct!!! :D

Seriously guys, how many of you actually even read the textbooks??? Or read it fully? Even if you photocopied sections of the book as the semester progresses, you are bound to save lots of money.

finboy
09-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
That is correct!!! :D

Seriously guys, how many of you actually even read the textbooks??? Or read it fully? Even if you photocopied sections of the book as the semester progresses, you are bound to save lots of money.

fockin rights, i am SO going to start doing this :thumbsup:

kiwi
09-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by crazydriver
i blew like 600 bucks too, stupid new texts, lol
o btw i have an Stats textbook for sell (Introductory Statistics), brand new (cuz i got the wrond edition), PM if anyone wants it

Couldn't you return it?

Shaolin
09-12-2004, 11:20 PM
where's the place in downtown? i'd like to know :D

finboy
09-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
where's the place in downtown? i'd like to know :D

:werd:

ehos
09-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Hmm, most copy places DO NOT photocopy copywritten stuff anymore.

They used to, but now they'll just say nope. Unless you know someone that works there or someone that doesn't give a shit about their job :)

izzoblitzo
09-13-2004, 12:49 PM
I went to Staples and asked them to help me copy like 10 pages of pictures/written material so I could use as reference guides.. and they told me they can't do it for me. I could do it myself, but they couldnt do it due to copyrights. So I figure if they couldnt do 10 pages, they couldnt do anymore than that!

max_boost
09-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
where's the place in downtown? i'd like to know :D It was through a friend of mine who found this place so I have no idea where it is. I'll try to get a hold of her and give you guys the contacts.

szw
09-13-2004, 02:00 PM
There is a Chinese place that's close to sunset billiards that does it downtown.

t-im
09-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by szw
There is a Chinese place that's close to sunset billiards that does it downtown.

that's the place!

LUDELVR
09-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Yah, that's what I thought about copying, I didn't want to stand there for hours doing that shit, then I thought about it and the idea of saving myself a couple of hundred dollars kicked in and then I realized my time was worth about 100 dollars per hour! ;) haha,

On top of that, I'm not sure that you can give text books to a shop to do it because of copywrite laws and what not. I know some of the texts that the U provides are solely printed for specific classes and can not be reproduced by any means... I didn't bother reading the rest of their warning ! hhaha :rofl:

But yah, it's like max said, how often do you use the text! I used my texts minimally and relied on other resources and what not, mostly from the classroom discussions and lectures. I swear, they simply just read from the text book anyway, so why bother paying for the book when you can just write down what they say...of course they will say some other things and sometimes it's a good idea to refer to the book but whatever!

You'll save tons!:thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
09-13-2004, 08:56 PM
What I never understood was why people bought their books before the classes started.

I always wait until the week after classes begin. Sometimes you'll luck out and get a reading list. That's why you go and photocopy the pages you need. Most of the time I don't even bother getting textbooks, cause I know I'm not going to read it, so why should I pay for it!?

There's been more than one occassion when the professors either say the "required" text isn't even required or you can just use an old edition. If you have a friend with an old edition, just borrow it from them. It's not like they can sell it anyways! Hahaha!

max_boost
09-13-2004, 09:24 PM
I think the printing store is runned by Asians, not sure, but if so, wouldn't suprise me that they don't give two shits about copyright laws.:rofl: In China, fakes/replicas are cool haha (that part was irrelevant, sort of)

Anyway, even for novels in English class, I just bought Coles/Baron notes:rofl: Nothing like reading 4 book summaries in one night LOL

I find in business courses, everything is on the internet, lectures, old exams etc. And every semester you are doing the same thing over and over it just doesn't make any sense to spend hundreds on books.

crazydriver
09-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by kiwi

Couldn't you return it?

just did that 2day, my 14 days return period was over (by like a week).. but they didn't even check for that:D