PDA

View Full Version : Fido coverage/service good?

civicluva
09-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Hey guys i just got a fido phone because the plans are way lot cheaper than rogers at&t. For some reason rogers is so expensive, why is this? Do they have better coverage?

Also how is the fido reception up in say banff?

:tongue:

1badPT
09-10-2004, 10:49 PM
as long as you're in a major city, fido coverage is pretty good - outside of the city though you might as well be carrying a hunk shit since it will have the same ability to put calls through (none). I dunno what its like in banff, but check their website, they'll show which cities are covered, and the ones that are are covered pretty well, anything outside those limits is not covered.

googe
09-10-2004, 11:14 PM
fido is the only provider that gets nothing in canmore, i dunno about banff but id be surprised if it works there

BebeAphrodite
09-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Actually, even in the city Fido coverage is pretty weak.
But I guess you get what you pay for.

wildrice
09-10-2004, 11:42 PM
ya, i think ur reception would be out in banff

1badPT
09-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

you're not biased are you? :tongue: :angel:

roopi
09-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by civicluva
Hey guys i just got a fido phone because the plans are way lot cheaper than rogers at&t. For some reason rogers is so expensive, why is this? Do they have better coverage?

Also how is the fido reception up in say banff?

:tongue:

1. See the map below.

2. This topic has been covered many times so do a search and you will find some good info.

http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/info/Discover/images/imgCarto-PopAlberta.gif

Originally posted by 1badPT
as long as you're in a major city, fido coverage is pretty good - outside of the city though you might as well be carrying a hunk shit since it will have the same ability to put calls through (none). I dunno what its like in banff, but check their website, they'll show which cities are covered, and the ones that are are covered pretty well, anything outside those limits is not covered.

Fido actually has analog coverage with Telus so if you have a GAIT phone you get covered everywhere Telus does.

Originally posted by googe
fido is the only provider that gets nothing in canmore, i dunno about banff but id be surprised if it works there

It does work in Banff. Surprised?

Fido has better coverage in Calgary than any other provider. Still working for Telus?

Originally posted by wildrice
ya, i think ur reception would be out in banff

Works in Banff.

There rates do kick ass. It just depends if it meets your needs.

zer0
09-11-2004, 12:00 AM
My friend sells cellphones at the telephone booth and he rates services in this order (CITY)
Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido..

I can say that I've never cut out on a bell phone.. but fuck
fido has such nice plans right now.. free unlimited incoming
if my phone was unlocked I might consider it

1badPT
09-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Fido actually has analog coverage with Telus so if you have a GAIT phone you get covered everywhere Telus does.

By far the majority of their phones are digital only and a lot of people aren't aware of needing a special phone or attachment in order to use their phone outside of a major city. This has been the main thing that held me back from getting a phone with them because I do a lot of road trips and I'd hate to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a phone that doesn't work.

Fido has better coverage in Calgary than any other provider. Still working for Telus?

That's arguable and its certainly contrary to what I've found is the case. In my experience the CDMA network provides the best reception in Calgary and almost every other major city for that matter. That probably stems from the fact that all of the CDMA providers share their network with other CDMA providers. So rather than each company having to provide an entire network for their users, they simply provide the towers that the other companies don't, and that makes for a very powerful network.

tulit
09-11-2004, 08:57 AM
it definately works fine in banff. Absolutely nothing in Canmore though which is kind of annoying.

cityhunter2501
09-11-2004, 12:00 PM
I noticed that it also depends on your cellphone.
if I had to rate them in term of signals
T300: 4/10
v60: 9/10
7210: 10/10
8890: 8/10
8390: 7/10
Timeport: 9/10

BebeAphrodite
09-11-2004, 12:16 PM

you're not biased are you? :tongue: :angel:
lol, nope, based on personal experience

hmm... I don't agree.
I do still work for Telus and my households have Telus/Fido/Rogers.
From personal exprience I rank it (In Edgemont Telus--Fido--Rogers) but all over the rest of the city (I travel around a lot) I rank it (I've been on all three providers for at least a period of 6 months) Telus--Rogers--Fido.
Also, I've tried different phones on each network (at least 2 phones per network). I can honestly say that I've never dropped a call with Telus but I left Telus because I don't like their phones and my demo line was cancelled.
I haven't been on Rogers since their new band was introduced so many their coverage in Edgemont got better.
I'm currently on Fido and I seriously drop calls all the time and have spotty reception throughout the city and since I'm always with someone who has Telus coverage I often have to use the Telus phone because mine doesn't work in soo many areas. I guess you get what you pay for - Fido does have cheap plans.
As for Bell, I've never tried their phones/experienced their coverage so I can't comment on them.

roopi
09-11-2004, 12:42 PM
^^ What phone do you use on Fido?

1badPT
09-11-2004, 12:57 PM

As for Bell, I've never tried their phones/experienced their coverage so I can't comment on them.

I just recently got a Bell Mobility phone and as far as the network is concerned its the same (Bell and Telus share their network) - as far as phones are concerned, I find they have a better selection of phones. Haven't noticed much difference in reception / quality in all my CDMA phones except for the one I have now is slightly lower quality than the 3 I used before, but it has more features that I need so I deal with it :dunno:

googe
09-11-2004, 02:15 PM
I have had fido for some time now and I must say I am not impressed. In my area of the city I havent yet had a dropped call but the call will just die for like 6 seconds every 12 seconds sometimes, really annoying. Other than that, people always complain that they cant hear me.

I question the basis of your statement that they have better city coverage than any other provider...they simply dont have the resources that Bell and Telus do, theyre such a small company in comparison.

But, I dont use mine much and I dont come close to using the minutes alloted to even the minimum packages, so Im with them because theyre cheapest. Another case of you get what you pay for.

zhulander
09-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Been on fido for 2 years and never had a problem. Great urban coverage, great prices, great plans, great customer service.

Much more than I can say for Rogers, when my dad's contract was about to expire, they kepted on calling twice a day for 2 weeks to 'let us know that it was expiring'. Everytime they called, I told them their coverage is horrible and we won't be going with them again and still insisted on calling because they wanted to talk to my dad and not me.

Maybe it's CDMA but people's voices on telus sound weird and I can barely hear them. Oh and telus customer service :thumbsdow

Shaolin
09-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Can't say much about Fido, my sister's on it and she says she hasn't had a problem with it in the City (and only in the city). I was with Telus before and really liked their coverage and such, except I didn't get the chance to play with new phones every so often.. and I haven't had a problem with Rogers yet and I've been with them for 3 years.

When my plan expired in January, Rogers never called me or even NOTIFY me the plan was about to expire. Maybe it's a random event? Now 8 months later I'm still on the same plan.

Texas
09-11-2004, 03:21 PM
FIDO IS GARBAGE DONT DO IT!!!

BebeAphrodite
09-11-2004, 03:30 PM
^^ What phone do you use on Fido?
On Fido I've used a v60i, Panasonic g51, and Motorola v400.

I just recently got a Bell Mobility phone and as far as the network is concerned its the same (Bell and Telus share their network) - as far as phones are concerned, I find they have a better selection of phones. Haven't noticed much difference in reception / quality in all my CDMA phones except for the one I have now is slightly lower quality than the 3 I used before, but it has more features that I need so I deal with it :dunno:

hmm.. I think that Bell has their own towers in the West now.

LittleAngel
09-11-2004, 03:33 PM
I have fido, its awsome. Plans are good, bills by the second. and telus and rogers have never worked in my basement, fido always does, i have never lost service in fido, i think its pretty good.

1badPT
09-11-2004, 03:36 PM
hmm.. I think that Bell has their own towers in the West now.
They do but as a Telus mobility subscriber or a Sasktel Mobility subscriber or even a MTS Mobility subscriber, your signal could be served off a Bell Mobility tower. The whole network is shared even though certain towers are owned by specific companies.

kiwi
09-11-2004, 05:49 PM
I was in Banff 2 weeks ago, & all of our Fido phones had coverage =)

I find that Fido has better coverage than Rogers in general...

3G
09-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by LittleAngel
I have fido, its awsome. Plans are good, bills by the second. and telus and rogers have never worked in my basement, fido always does, i have never lost service in fido, i think its pretty good.

:werd:

BebeAphrodite
09-12-2004, 01:01 PM

They do but as a Telus mobility subscriber or a Sasktel Mobility subscriber or even a MTS Mobility subscriber, your signal could be served off a Bell Mobility tower. The whole network is shared even though certain towers are owned by specific companies.

Really?
We're taught that the Western provinces initially ran off the of Telus towers and ran off of Bell in the Eastern provinces.
But then again, I've only been able to speak to one person with authority on this matter. He was some communications director with Bell mobility and he explained that the East ran off of Bell towers and the West ran off of Telus towers and how they basically now both have towers up of their own so they run off of their own towers.

soupey
09-12-2004, 01:58 PM

lol, nope, based on personal experience

hmm... I don't agree.
I do still work for Telus and my households have Telus/Fido/Rogers.
From personal exprience I rank it (In Edgemont Telus--Fido--Rogers) but all over the rest of the city (I travel around a lot) I rank it (I've been on all three providers for at least a period of 6 months) Telus--Rogers--Fido.
Also, I've tried different phones on each network (at least 2 phones per network). I can honestly say that I've never dropped a call with Telus but I left Telus because I don't like their phones and my demo line was cancelled.
I haven't been on Rogers since their new band was introduced so many their coverage in Edgemont got better.
I'm currently on Fido and I seriously drop calls all the time and have spotty reception throughout the city and since I'm always with someone who has Telus coverage I often have to use the Telus phone because mine doesn't work in soo many areas. I guess you get what you pay for - Fido does have cheap plans.

we might as well consider the top of edgemont a dead zone for cells, ive been wit rogers and fido and have used a telus phone up there, telus IS stronger, but still sucks ass up there....rogers and fido simply cut out, its stupid, but thats wut u get if u live there, if u live outside of edgemont signal reception instantly gets better

the road i cut out on is shaganappi trail right near the intersection with nose hill park on one side and edgemont on the other (by the senior's condo thing).

soupey
09-12-2004, 02:05 PM
also i guess i should add

wit fido, i find the signal to be good when its there, and basically no signal when its not there, while wit rogers, the signal fluctuates, but there is more signal everywhere...

currently im wit rogers, i find they r more expensive overall, and my sis is wit fido, i use a SE T616 and my sis uses a Nokia 6100, ive had awesome reception using both phones. only reason i prefer rogers over fido is that i go between edmonton and calgary alot and i find coverage along the highway is always there, also wit rogers i get corporate plan thru parents work, so ive stuck wit it....hope that helps a bit.

1badPT
09-12-2004, 02:12 PM

Really?
We're taught that the Western provinces initially ran off the of Telus towers and ran off of Bell in the Eastern provinces.
But then again, I've only been able to speak to one person with authority on this matter. He was some communications director with Bell mobility and he explained that the East ran off of Bell towers and the West ran off of Telus towers and how they basically now both have towers up of their own so they run off of their own towers.

My information is old so its possible that its changed now? When I lived in Toronto my buddy was a tech for one of the companies that service the towers there (Entourage or Encompass or something like that). He mentioned that the towers could serve a signal to any CDMA phone regardless of carrier and that Mobility Canada handled the arrangements on who is responsible for new towers.

I do know that Telus and Bell were both not eager for the general public to know that they used the same network since they are competitors after all, but perhaps since then they've built their own networks :dunno: I can't imagine there'd be that much pressure to build seperate networks when they can share the cost and take business away from Fido and Rogers.

I do know that Telus has built towers in the East and Bell has some in the West, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to create a whole seperate network. And what happens for the Sasktel and MTS mobility users?

BebeAphrodite
09-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by soupey

we might as well consider the top of edgemont a dead zone for cells, ive been wit rogers and fido and have used a telus phone up there, telus IS stronger, but still sucks ass up there....rogers and fido simply cut out, its stupid, but thats wut u get if u live there, if u live outside of edgemont signal reception instantly gets better

the road i cut out on is shaganappi trail right near the intersection with nose hill park on one side and edgemont on the other (by the senior's condo thing).

hehehe, I guess ur in my area too. I never dropped a call with Telus in Edgemont or encounter static (and that was HUGE surprise for me) as I only had Rogers previous to my Telus phone. The street for me where I would 100% of the time lose calls with Rogers is the daycare off of Edgepark BLVD. It's the street next to the daycare... as soon as I enter that street the Rogers call will die (mind you, I've never tried the new 850 band out there). ha ha ha
I hate Rogers with a passion. We still have a phone going with them, it's been umm... 5 years that we've been with Rogers (they keep extending their contract on me using silly stipulations (I changed my contract and I was told months later that when I had done that, I extended my contract by 2 years). They have horrible customer service (altho, they did call me once to ask what complaints I had about Rogers and I kept the customer rep on the phone for about 50 mins of continous complains - he actually told me that he was hearing complaints from everyone that he had called and they were basically all mirror complaints. ha ha ha
Once the 'contract' I never knew I was extending is done good byeee rogers! :D