PDA

View Full Version : What's your home Theater Setup??

Impreza
05-26-2004, 02:08 AM
Just wondering what everyone has set up for home theatre??
what a/v receiver? speakers? etc...

Kor
05-26-2004, 02:20 AM
I am interested in home theatre stuff but I can EITHER afford my car OR a home theatre, guess which one I picked...

SinisterProbeGt
05-26-2004, 09:31 AM
here is a huge ugly thread on this topic.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=31680&perpage=40&highlight=home%20theatre&pagenumber=1
I am running a
Pioneer VSX-55TXi
Panasonic DVD-RP82S
ELX series Centre
4 grand universal Nucance speakers and 2 large 15" Nuance floor subs.
65" RCA TV Little dog series.
THX Cable throught
Poineer CD player
Digital remote controlled lighting and sound
http://www.antville.org/img/elnegrozumbon/rottweiler.jpg
And a 140 lbs rottweiler security gaurd

thats about it.

ZorroAMG
05-26-2004, 11:11 AM
HK AMP
ADS Speakers (5.1)
Nuance Sub
Sony DVD prog scan.
35" Trinitron XBR.

No pics....fuck you thieves...LOL

EK 2.0
05-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Harmon Kardon AVR525 Receiver
BOSE 601 Front and Rear Surrounds
Bose Front and Rear Center Channels
JBL 12' Subwoofer
Toshiba 55' Cinema Series Projection TV
Toshiba Progressive Scan DVD Player

All Hooked up with MONSTER CABLE...

Boosted_TL
05-26-2004, 11:34 AM
HK Receiver (AVR 630 )
4 HK Tower's
12" HK Sub
46" Phillip's Projection TV
Sony Prog DVD player
Sony Center and Rear's

Ben
05-26-2004, 11:45 AM
TV
Speakers
Amps/Recievers
Media Players
Subs

I hate thieves, and last time we talked about home theater we had a bunch of people hating on peoples equipment.

Hakkola
05-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Nuance Surround sound, a bunch of other stuff... 7 speakers, not including the 2 in the tv

mutan
05-26-2004, 11:55 AM
I don't if you consider this a home theather setup or a commercail one.

51" HD ready Sony widescreen
2 x Community csX loudspeaker system
2 x Bose 901
2 x JBL Ti909
1 x 12" energy sub
Mackie Mixer
Peavey Q231f power amp
Crown 800 CSL power amp
4Bryston power amp
Amcron power amp
Nikko pre amp
Sony disc explorer 200 dvd changer
Digitech tsr-6 processor

Impreza
05-26-2004, 10:25 PM
where does everyone buy their home audio equipment? I am looking to spend about $1000-$1500, not looking for a COMPLETE setup, but I want a receiver (currently looking at the Denon AVR-1804) and some decent floor speakers and maybe a center channel? i dont need the top of the line stuff, I dont need anything super loud either, just sometihng with crisp clear sound

again, I am not a real big audiophile, so bascially anything decent will do, i just dont want the home theatre in a box,

and if there is a good deal that could fit my budget where i can get surrounds and everything, that would be great
thx

Ajay
05-26-2004, 10:42 PM
^
^
^
I'm with you on that one.

Curious to know what everyone's opinion is on those speaker packages you can purchase? Those Energy speaker or Dalquist speaker packages that include six speakers along with a subwoofer and require a seperate receiver?

Thinking of getting one of those for my 57" cause I figure that's all I would need to have for movies.

JordanLotoski
05-26-2004, 10:49 PM
are all these systems your parents or yours?

EK 2.0
05-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

The one I posted is mine...I have worked in audio for 3 years now...

Weapon_R
05-26-2004, 11:25 PM
The stuff that everyone laughed at me for is all mine, my parents don't even think having a big screen TV is anything cool.

Originally posted by Impreza
where does everyone buy their home audio equipment? I am looking to spend about $1000-$1500, not looking for a COMPLETE setup, but I want a receiver (currently looking at the Denon AVR-1804) and some decent floor speakers and maybe a center channel? i dont need the top of the line stuff, I dont need anything super loud either, just sometihng with crisp clear sound

All I have is a basic digital receiver and a couple of bookshelfs, and it sounds pretty decent. It gets very loud, but i've had nothing to compare it to so I wouldn't know what good is haha

ZorroAMG
05-27-2004, 12:18 AM

Mine. My dad has way better taste..LOL

Impreza
05-27-2004, 07:30 AM
What does everyone think of the aperion intimus 5.1??

Loose
05-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Did you see it in a store? Hard to tell if the product is good if it is only sold online.

Impreza
05-27-2004, 09:42 AM
i have read some reviews about it online, I am not sure what store sells them. Here is the website www.aperionaudio.com/ and there are reviews at www.audioreview.com

thx

Impreza
05-27-2004, 10:14 AM
I just called and asked, the 5.1 package with an 8" sub cost $2034.00 including all duties, brokerage, shipping, taxes, etc.

that seems a little steep, should I just buy the left, right, and center channel speakers for $900??

Loose
05-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Audioreview sucks. Most people who rate the products rate them too good, since that’s what they bought, and obviously like it.

I think the Aperion system you posted is probably very good, but I wouldn’t drop $2k on a system I’ve never heard. If you buy the fronts and centers only, you’ll be disappointed. You need the sub to go with the system when your main speakers are that small. I would head down to A&B and check out their 5.1 systems. If I recall, they have a good spectrum of 5.1 systems from 600-3000 (a couple by Energy, Velodyne, Totem, etc). Listen to them and see what you like.

Loose
05-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Here's my modest system, broke TV and all....

Impreza
05-27-2004, 10:28 AM
thx for your help!

Boosted_TL
05-27-2004, 10:36 AM

Mine of course....

Loose
05-27-2004, 10:46 AM
ps... whatever you do, do not buy Bose.

HillBilly
05-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Components
51" Sony Widescreen TV
Harman Kardon AVR610
Sony DVD player (can't remember the model)
Sony PS2
Carver fronts
Carver rears
Monitor Audio Silver 3 Centre
Monitor Audio ASW 110 Magnesium Subwoofer

Cables
Monster cable on all except centre
KimberKable on centre speaker

SinisterProbeGt
05-27-2004, 11:41 AM

My system of course.
We actually had a pre screening of the last lord of the rings a week before it came out.
Ask benny about my home system I am sure he will tell you about it.

It is really like being in a theatre your pant legs shake and the sound comes from every where. Actually had a girl freak out during one of the scary movies we were watching.
the bad guy creeps up behind the victim in the movie and says "hey" and the sounds came from the speaker right beside her. She freaked out bad it was awsome.

Impreza
05-27-2004, 01:09 PM
so what does everyone think about the Denon AVR-1804? Is it decent for a beginner audiophile liek me? where does everybody purchase their equipment?

Loose
05-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Can't go wrong with Denon. Very good quality and has the features that 95% of people require. I don't know one person that bought Denon and wasn't happy.

As for shops I see the world like this...

Best Buy: cheap garbage, priced well (for what it is), but gear is to cheap for me (do you have any in calgary?)

Futureshop: Good for TV's, bad for audio. Lots of cheap stuff like crappy speakers and cheap Home Theatre in a Box, only cary one good brand (Harmon Kardon)

A&B: Nice variance in product from lower end to middle priced hi-fi, I like them best.

Independants shops: Hit and miss. Some have great sales people, some have snotty ones. Usually I can only afford their cheapest gear. Pricing is usually not great.

What else is there? Soundsurround and visions? I've never been to either....

SinisterProbeGt
05-27-2004, 01:42 PM
The denon is a good amp pricey for a start up but will last the longest.
I have used the top of the line kenwoods Sony and pioneer and HK. I would say the best of the 4 is the HK then the pioneer the Kenwood’s and Sony are not for huge power or clarity.

I usually purchase my equipment from home audio stores that’s all they do .
Home audio on 8th is in my building so that’s where I got all my connection wire the THX certified stuff and they sent out a technician to set it up for me. They measured up all the distances and actually red wired my whole system to get the optimum sound even if all I bought was the wire it was still a $1900 sale for the guys.

sputnik
05-27-2004, 01:50 PM
I am personally a big fan of NAD receivers and Boston Acoustics speakers.

SinisterProbeGt
05-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I am personally a big fan of NAD receivers and Boston Acoustics speakers.
Here is the top of the line when it comes to speakers
http://www.bwspeakers.com/images/SpeakerModel/images/Model_Nautilus/large_grille_off.jpg

The B&W Nautilus has been greeted worldwide as an outstanding loudspeaker which will shape the direction of the audio industry well into the new millennium. Already sought after by cognoscenti, it has been unashamedly designed with the serious audiophile in mind, not only because of its size and shape but also because of its active design – the crossover network is positioned between the pre and power amplifiers. This means that a full Nautilus system needs one stereo pre-amplifier and eight monobloc or four stereo power amplifiers per pair (amplifiers of 100W upwards are recommended, with 500W being the optimum for the low frequency drive unit).
More info here
http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.photolibrary/label/Model%20Nautilus

here is a pic of my setup

Loose
05-27-2004, 02:18 PM
lol

Chester
05-27-2004, 03:56 PM
WRX has an insane home theatre, he should post it up

Impreza
05-27-2004, 09:57 PM
On a side note, this is sorta off topic, but a friends friend is selling his Nakamichi SoundSpace 8. I think I can get it for about $650, should I buy it? Is it a decent deal? I know Nakamichi is good stuff, but does anyone have any experiences or opinions on the SoundSpace 8?

Thx

JordanLotoski
05-27-2004, 10:16 PM
heres mine...goit a new couch now..thats old
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=media+room/v=2/TID=DFIM_1/l=IVI/*-http://www.moiraonline.com/411w_lake_sammamish/12.Media-Room.jpg

JordanLotoski
05-27-2004, 10:17 PM
heres mine...goit a new couch now..thats old
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=media+room/v=2/TID=DFIM_1/l=IVI/*-http://www.moiraonline.com/411w_lake_sammamish/12.Media-Room.jpg

hahaha i wish...i just have a panasonic 53 and some sound surround nothing special

SinisterProbeGt
05-27-2004, 10:29 PM
ok this is mine for real I wish i had the other one

THe fan is cause the amp get so damm hot you can cook a steak on it so some added cooling is good

Impreza
05-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Also, I am currently looking at the B&W DM600 Series and 300series bookshelf speakers, DM600 is $500 a pair and 300series is $450 a pair, I got these quotes "Sound of Music", good prices? opinions on the speakers?

SinisterProbeGt
05-27-2004, 10:39 PM
here is the other one upstairs just a simple sony system and 2 ELX series just for some extra bass

Loose
05-28-2004, 09:04 AM
On a side note, this is sorta off topic, but a friends friend is selling his Nakamichi SoundSpace 8. I think I can get it for about $650, should I buy it? Is it a decent deal? I know Nakamichi is good stuff, but does anyone have any experiences or opinions on the SoundSpace 8?

Thx

Also, I am currently looking at the B&W DM600 Series and 300series bookshelf speakers, DM600 is $500 a pair and 300series is $450 a pair, I got these quotes "Sound of Music", good prices? opinions on the speakers?

The Soundspace8 is a neat little piece. Nice style, but not good sound quality. It's not what you want if you consider yourself an audiofile. Nak used to make really good stuff, but now they make things more based on style. $650 is a good price.

B&W speakers are really good. Can't go wrong with those either. If you wanted, you could buy the Denon 1804, the DM600 and be pretty happy for a while. Then you could add a center chanel, rears, and a sub as budget allowed. You'd probably have spent like $3500 on your system when everything is said and done, but you'd be really happy for a long time.

If you're serious about sound, I'd be buying good quality stuff like B&W and Denon.

RC-Cola
05-28-2004, 01:43 PM
I have the B&W DM 603 S3 (got them about a month ago). Really nice speaker for the money. I have Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 for the rears and a Polk CSi245 Center Channel (I'm going to upgrade this very soon!).

I have a crappy 27" Sony TV right now but as soon as we move into my new place we are getting the New Samsung DLP (pictured below).

Also, instead of the Denon I would highly recommend considering the Yamaha RX-V1400B. An excellent amp that won't cost you the farm. Both the Denon and Yamaha are pretty close in comparison (You can throw in the HK amps as well)!

Impreza
05-28-2004, 02:26 PM
So if i buy the DS600, like a left and a right, I should be ok for a while? I mean, the worst thing i can do is buy something cheaper and not be satisfied and upgrade and end up having to spend more!

RC-Cola : How much is the Yamaha RX-V1400B.?

SinisterProbeGt
05-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola
I have a crappy 27" Sony TV right now but as soon as we move into my new place we are getting the New Samsung DLP (pictured below).

Is that thing Lcd or plasma?

I am thinking of going either projector with a screen or lcd But plasma seems to be like the Laser disc of dvds hot for new tech but out of date real quick.

Loose
05-28-2004, 04:49 PM
RX-V1400 MSRP for $1200.

Denon 1804 MSRP for $900

I went through the whole reciever thing 5 months ago when I was shopping for one. I ended up buying the RX-V1300 which is basically the 2003 model of the RX-V1400. I bought it solely because it was being blown out for $500 under MSRP (old stock).

The main difference between the two is...

Yamaha: 7.1 capable
Denon: 6.1 capable

Yamaha: YPAO feature automatically calibrates the entire system for volume levels, equilization, speaker distances etc... using test tones and a microphone (to get the surround sound set up right)
Denon: Have to manually set up system.

Yamaha: Full of stupid extra shit like 40 billion usless sound processing modes (church, hall, rock, sci-fi, etc)
Denon: Has like 8 DSP modes

IMO denon is more sound quality, yamaha has more features, most of which are useless.

AzN_4_LiFe
05-28-2004, 04:57 PM
we have a 85' screen with zenith projector
jamo speakers
sony receivers

Impreza
05-28-2004, 05:34 PM
is there a cheaper receiver that will do the job??

RC-Cola
05-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt

Is that thing Lcd or plasma?

Neither... It's a DLP TV.

RC-Cola
05-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Loose
RX-V1400 MSRP for $1200.

Denon 1804 MSRP for $900

I went through the whole reciever thing 5 months ago when I was shopping for one. I ended up buying the RX-V1300 which is basically the 2003 model of the RX-V1400. I bought it solely because it was being blown out for $500 under MSRP (old stock).

The main difference between the two is...

Yamaha: 7.1 capable
Denon: 6.1 capable

Yamaha: YPAO feature automatically calibrates the entire system for volume levels, equilization, speaker distances etc... using test tones and a microphone (to get the surround sound set up right)
Denon: Have to manually set up system.

Yamaha: Full of stupid extra shit like 40 billion usless sound processing modes (church, hall, rock, sci-fi, etc)
Denon: Has like 8 DSP modes

IMO denon is more sound quality, yamaha has more features, most of which are useless.

Loose is right on most of the items except I would have to disagree on the sound quality between the Denon and the Yamaha. I think the Yamaha puts out VERY clean power, they have always been known as a lot of power for your buck. It doesn't have as many DSP modes as the highest model, one of the main reason that I went with it over the Denon was the YPAO Feature. It makes set-uo SSSSSOOOOO much easier. The 1400 is also THX certified which meant something to me.

It really all comes down to personal prefference. Listen to several systems and buy what sounds the best to your ears, in the end you have to be happy with your purchase.

Impreza
05-29-2004, 11:59 AM
so where can i buy the denon or the yamaha??

Loose
05-29-2004, 12:33 PM
A&B carries both. If you want bang for the buck Yamaha is hard to beat. Denon is overpriced in Canada. Both brands make cheaper recievers though, and maybe you should look into them.

The cheaper ones still make good power and probably have all the features you will need. I would stray from cheap brands like Sony and Pioneer, etc.. which may have more features at a give price, but aren't as high quality.

If I were you I'd find a good salesman who knows what they're talking about, and discuss what you want/need.

Impreza
05-30-2004, 04:20 PM
I was at A&B sound and they carry neither the Denon or the Yamaha. I was in the one in the NE

RC-Cola
05-30-2004, 06:06 PM
I bought my Yamaha from Soundsaround in Crowfoot. I'm pretty sure that they carry both. Talk to the Home Theatre manager, he knows his stuff and won't bullshit you.

SinisterProbeGt
05-31-2004, 08:49 AM

Neither... It's a DLP TV.

I actually went this weekend to see this tv DLP sounds like a cool tech but a little expensive if the tv breaks .
You only have 1 year warranty on the lens and dlp chipset and if either of these go its about a 3k fix.
You can buy extended warranty but it does not cover the dlp chip or the spinning light wheel

:dunno:

EK 2.0
05-31-2004, 09:19 AM

I actually went this weekend to see this tv DLP sounds like a cool tech but a little expensive if the tv breaks .
You only have 1 year warranty on the lens and dlp chipset and if either of these go its about a 3k fix.
You can buy extended warranty but it does not cover the dlp chip or the spinning light wheel

:dunno:

You should buy an LCD Rear Projection if you are in teh market...SONY makes some very good ones...

SinisterProbeGt
05-31-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

You should buy an LCD Rear Projection if you are in teh market...SONY makes some very good ones...

I looked at the sony as well they had a 60"on this weekend for 4k about a 3k discount but even at that price the res looked like ass and a very milky picture.

I really want a 16X9 wide screen that is ahrp and chrisp picture.
My living room you sit about 25 feet away from the tv so it has to be big and sharp looking.
Still looking for a replacement but the sony is out and the dlp do to lack of manufacture support is out as well. so what choice does that leave me?

EK 2.0
05-31-2004, 10:23 AM

I looked at the sony as well they had a 60"on this weekend for 4k about a 3k discount but even at that price the res looked like ass and a very milky picture.

I really want a 16X9 wide screen that is ahrp and chrisp picture.
My living room you sit about 25 feet away from the tv so it has to be big and sharp looking.
Still looking for a replacement but the sony is out and the dlp do to lack of manufacture support is out as well. so what choice does that leave me?

if you sit that far back from the screen, you should consider perhaps a standalone projector...and a screen...you can get sizes up to about 100 inches and for sitting that far back is a great option...I am looking at picking up the 42" LCD in the very near future for my set up...

RC-Cola
05-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

if you sit that far back from the screen, you should consider perhaps a standalone projector...and a screen...you can get sizes up to about 100 inches and for sitting that far back is a great option...I am looking at picking up the 42" LCD in the very near future for my set up...

The only problem with a stand alone projector and screen is you HAVE to control the amount of sunlight coming into the room. I believe Sinister mentioned that it is going into the living room which usually has lots of windows. Unless he is willing to buy Blackout Blinds projector is the way to go.

I'm going DLP because it reported to have a better refresh rates than the LCD screens. LCD's can become quite pixelated in certain high action sceens. They will do this because LCD draws each line from top left to bottom right each scan, whereas the DLP has one mirror per pixel on the screen, it's either on or off.

Here are some websites you might want to check out about DLP and HDTV technology:

http://www.dlp.com/#Scene_1

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php

http://www.digiupdate.com/

SinisterProbeGt
05-31-2004, 11:01 AM

The only problem with a stand alone projector and screen is you HAVE to control the amount of sunlight coming into the room. I believe Sinister mentioned that it is going into the living room which usually has lots of windows. Unless he is willing to buy Blackout Blinds projector is the way to go.

I'm going DLP because it reported to have a better refresh rates than the LCD screens. LCD's can become quite pixelated in certain high action sceens. They will do this because LCD draws each line from top left to bottom right each scan, whereas the DLP has one mirror per pixel on the screen, it's either on or off.

Here are some websites you might want to check out about DLP and HDTV technology:

http://www.dlp.com/#Scene_1

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php

http://www.digiupdate.com/ :

Well my only issue with the dlp technology is that just like the floor model i was looking at it had 3 pixels burnt on it or"mirrors stuck on"
Now if this happenes after your warranty peroid you have to either deal with it or replace it yourself and at 3k for a light engine that alot of cake.:thumbsdow

RC-Cola
05-31-2004, 11:35 AM
:

Well my only issue with the dlp technology is that just like the floor model i was looking at it had 3 pixels burnt on it or"mirrors stuck on"
Now if this happenes after your warranty peroid you have to either deal with it or replace it yourself and at 3k for a light engine that alot of cake.:thumbsdow

True, but with any newer technology there is always some inherent risk. I would get an extended warranty which is supposed to fix any of these problems that *could* occur. One nice thing about the Sammy DLP's is that you can replace the projector bulb for about $300. My understanding is that the Bulb should last approximately 5 to 6 years of regular use. I know on a thread above you stated that a Sales Rep told you the mirrors and wheel wouldn't be covered under an Extended Warranty? I find that hard to believe if the wheel stops spinning I don't think that would be considered "normal wear and tear".

Loose
05-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Are these new TV's that much better than a good rear projection unit? I like the plasmas, but they are too much $$$ and have burn in. The LCD's are "lazy", and DLP's just don't look to crisp to me.

If I were getting a new TV I'd just buy $2500 Hitachi or Toshiba 51".

ps... I'm just speaking of picture quality, not style.

Khyron
05-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Since I just went through this research phase (and DLP, Sony Grand WEGA, lower end Plasma were all in consideration) I ended up with a high end rear projection TV.

Here's my 2 cents why:

DLP/Grand Wega - same thing, except DLP uses a wheel with millions of mirros to shine on a non-LCD screen, where the WEGA shines from the bulb onto a LCD screen. So examine for bad pixels when you get your Sony.

The color on the DLP/Sony was amazing - for animations. Ever notice why all the stores play Toy Story/Nemo on these TVs? Cause they kick so much ass. But dark scenes are lacking - they get grainy (so think Aliens, Gladiator, etc). The bulbs aren't any worse than a gun on a rear projection - 3-400 bucks for the Sony every 2 years or so unless you are a real TV nut.

The plasmas? Soo expensive, burn in easier than a rear proj, and there's been complaints of burnt in pixels after time. That's a significant investment on something that may be outdated in a few years.

The only con to the rear projection is the size/weight. If you have the room and get it calibrated right, these sets still give the best overall picture. Burn in is an issue but not a huge one. Just need to be careful.

If you can wait, I would. The next tech is using Plasma for the spinning DLP wheel, while using the DLP tech for the TV overall. This gives the quality of plasma at a MUCH lower cost - I bet within a year you will see these TVs at the same price as high end rear projectors today.

Khyron

rice_eater
05-31-2004, 11:50 PM
15 inch tv with buit in speakers :cry:

Paul
09-11-2004, 11:45 AM
My house will have both a home theater and a kareoke room (yes i'm white why do you ask?)

My Home Theater:

Hitachi 43" HDTV projection TV
Kenwood Receiver
NHT tower fronts
NHT rears (bookshelf)
Profiles Center Channel
All wired with THX wiring

My Kareoke Room:

Toshiba Projector (110")
Cav's Kareoke and DVD player
haven't bought speakers for the room yet but will prolly use the same setup as the theater cuz i luv NHT's
as for an amp, i think i'll buy the new Kenwood, the top of the line one that has the touch-screen remote.

Khyron
09-11-2004, 10:18 PM
http://www.nexus-point.net/pictures/house/kitchen4.jpg

http://www.nexus-point.net/pictures/house/Entertainment%20Stand/stand-final.jpg

Probably going to upgrade the fronts to Polk R15s sometime this winter.

Khyron