PDA

View Full Version : fire fighter

Cixz
09-12-2004, 11:13 PM
hey dose anyone know what u need to take to become a firefighter???

davidI
09-13-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Cixz
hey dose anyone know what u need to take to become a firefighter???

I took a photography course in the spring and was down at the firehall taking pics. Anyways, I talked to a firewoman and asked her out of curiousity if it was hard or not. She surprised me with the fact that pretty much every one of them had a university degree. One guy said it took him 5 years to even be able to get past the first step of the application and that he just finally made it on. She did say that it was a great career once you get on but it sounded like quite the challenge to make it.

three33
09-13-2004, 08:02 AM
b4 you even appy you need your emr(emergency medical response) which is about a 2 month corse...thats the only course you need....then you apply if you make it past that than you go infront of a board and tell them why they should pick you....if you pass that then comes a polygraph(sp?) if you pass that then you have to pass the physical....if you pass that then you finnally get fire fighter training.....those are the steps as far as i know i might have missed 1 or 2 hope that helps

euro tang
09-13-2004, 08:23 AM
I too have heard that it is one of the most challenging careers to get into. You have to be an extremely dedicated individual. three33 explained it pretty well in short except I think you have to pass a written exam at one point but I'm not 100% sure. You also have to be completely clean from any illegal shit for at least 3 years.

^SkylinE^
09-13-2004, 12:20 PM
I was on practicum for my EMT-A this summer and i was at station 26. There was a new firefighter there that was 21 Y/O. He had his EMR and his EMT-A ( Emergency medical tech - ambulance). They like guys that are really out going friendly and hard working. For your first probational year you are the BITCH around the station but its all in good fun. They have a bunch of traditions like the rookie has to answer all the phones, last one to sit down for meals and first to get up. And if they really like you they will surprise you and soak you with the hose. hahah being on practicum you only have one uniform and you have to work in it soaking wet all day :rofl: The EMR course ranges from 4 months to 1 month depending where you take it. The EMT-A course is about a year including your practicum. YOu only really need your EMR to apply but the recomend volinteer work or more schooling. I think this is the last year that you can apply without having your ten one skills. Which you have to go to fire school to get in vermillion i think. Spelling hahah i can't spell. Fire fighters truly have a great life style.

ecstasy_civic
09-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
I was on practicum for my EMT-A this summer and i was at station 26. There was a new firefighter there that was 21 Y/O. He had his EMR and his EMT-A ( Emergency medical tech - ambulance). They like guys that are really out going friendly and hard working. For your first probational year you are the BITCH around the station but its all in good fun. They have a bunch of traditions like the rookie has to answer all the phones, last one to sit down for meals and first to get up. And if they really like you they will surprise you and soak you with the hose. hahah being on practicum you only have one uniform and you have to work in it soaking wet all day :rofl: The EMR course ranges from 4 months to 1 month depending where you take it. The EMT-A course is about a year including your practicum. YOu only really need your EMR to apply but the recomend volinteer work or more schooling. I think this is the last year that you can apply without having your ten one skills. Which you have to go to fire school to get in vermillion i think. Spelling hahah i can't spell. Fire fighters truly have a great life style.

thats pretty much right lol

My dad is a capt. on the job and him, and his crew are trying to get me to apply, Ive got some things I need to do first, but basically if you can pass a physical, get your 10-01 and EMR your as good as gold.

Its decent pay to start, rewarding and a fun atmosphere around the hall.

xkon
09-13-2004, 04:34 PM
it is HARD

until they get rid of the polygraph tests, im out!

Cixz
09-13-2004, 06:16 PM
thanks for all the info guys now to start taking courses hehe :) i dont think the physical will be that bad if i wasnt a gym monkey :) but i would love to be afire fighter the more of a challange the better and as for all the traditions goes i guess i willl get to do it to some one some day :) thanks for the info guys really appricated

dumb question but where do u apply??

Zokambaa
11-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Cixz

dumb question but where do u apply??

Well I am sure you've found it by now but here goes anyway..

Check http://www.calgaryfire.ca it gives you everything you need to know...

Oh and I wouldn't sweat the polygraph.. unless you are a sex offender or are into illegal sex(ie.. like to slip chicks drugs to have sex or are into the animals/under age etc..) and have criminal activity in the past 3 years.. you should be ok..

Basically check out the Personal History Statement on the fire department web site... if you can honestly fill it out without lieing or omitting things, then you should have no problem on the polygraph...

I am just past the polygraph part.. so I get to run the physical and then hope they decide to give me a shot...

the not so fun part is you jump through all these hoop and at the end it is still up to the recruitment board if they let you into the academy or not...

so even if you pass all the steps.. it is possible other people have scored better along the way...

anyway http://www.calgaryfire.ca links to the city of calgary site for the fire department.

Melinda
11-25-2004, 02:00 AM
Not sure if this applies to firefighters, but I know for the police polygraph test, they ask if you have even downloaded music illegally or burned CD's/DVD's...since those are illegal they can actually make you fail if you lie...they do however, like when you're honest and fess up...One of my best friends is trying to become a cop and the written test is brutally hard and very personal with alot of really odd questions

Zokambaa
11-25-2004, 06:46 AM
Yeah.. the cops have it rough on their polygraph.. those things take hours for them... but in canada, downloading music is not illegal..(yet...) however allowing people to copy it from you is.. it is some weird grey area.. not like the states...

But with all these polygraph tests.. most of it is a pre-writen form you fill out.. then they ask you a butt-load of questions, some of which were previously covered, others asking the same thing in a different way... at that point they are trying to get things straight and somewhat clarified...

once you're hooked up to the poly.. the rest is fairly simple and more along the lines of "were you honest with me when you said this about that" and so on...

they expect that people aren't some angel who's never done anything.. sooo.. unless you've been into crime in the last 3 years and you try to omit or sneak something by them, you should be OK....

most people have done some drugs.. the only ones they are worried about are the hard drugs..

I have a few friends who are cops now.. and I was terrified that I would have had the same kind of test as them.. it is quite freaky and just out of the screwed up way the questions are, I would think some people show as a false positive reading... even though they are innocent....

but.. the fire department one is more casual.. like I say.. if you can fill out the questions on the history statement on the fire dept site that they have to send in with the application.. and you arent hiding stuff there, then you're ok for the poly..

Originally posted by Melinda
Not sure if this applies to firefighters, but I know for the police polygraph test, they ask if you have even downloaded music illegally or burned CD's/DVD's...since those are illegal they can actually make you fail if you lie...they do however, like when you're honest and fess up...One of my best friends is trying to become a cop and the written test is brutally hard and very personal with alot of really odd questions

statick
11-25-2004, 08:49 AM
i have a friend who is in a firefighter cadet program, after he's done uni, he will be joining full-time.