PDA

View Full Version : Right Hand Drive

Hitokiri_Gensai
09-14-2004, 04:39 AM
i was recently offered the chance to buy a full legalized J-spec 1998 Red Honda Prelude and i was wondering, how hard is it to drive Right Hand Drive?

I was thinking about it, and ive come up with a few hitches. first off, toll booths would be hard to get through, secondly, you cant pass anyone because you cant see around the car infront of you. thirdly, you cant paralell park (which i suck at anyway) for the same reason you cant pass someone. foruthly but not all too important, drive thrus just wouldnt work.

anyhow if someone could give me a rundown on how it works id be grateful.

blackspear
09-14-2004, 05:02 AM
Is that even legal

pinoyhero
09-14-2004, 05:36 AM
I believe RHD are illegal.

Speed_Dreams
09-14-2004, 05:59 AM
hes from the states. they have different rules and laws about RHD cars. those things that you mentioned are goign to make your life just that more interesting. parallel parking you'd get use to...and passing you just have to look on the shoulder to make sure no ones comming. and for the toll booth...well....have someone commute to work with you and get them to pay :poosie:

statick
09-14-2004, 06:47 AM
yea, it just takes a bit of gettin used to.
worst come to worst put up sum mroe mirrors in the rite position.

Redlyne_mr2
09-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
hes from the states. they have different rules and laws about RHD cars. those things that you mentioned are goign to make your life just that more interesting. parallel parking you'd get use to...and passing you just have to look on the shoulder to make sure no ones comming. and for the toll booth...well....have someone commute to work with you and get them to pay :poosie:
Yeah theyre even more strickt that us. That car is illegal, why would you import a jdm prelude anyways, we have preludes here

rockym20
09-14-2004, 09:23 AM
They are legal, just not common. There used to be a shop in Ontario that imported TVR's and they are all right-hand drive.

Gonthro
09-14-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by rockym20
They are legal, just not common. There used to be a shop in Ontario that imported TVR's and they are all right-hand drive.

its illegal to import any vehicle into canada that is less than 15 years old...

it is possible that it could be a RHD conversion, but that would take a stupid amount of work to acheive.

Importing a vehicle into Canada

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) stipulates that before a vehicle can be imported into Canada, it has to comply with all Canadian import laws. The vehicle must meet the requirements of the CCRA, Transport Canada, and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency before it can be imported.

Importing vehicles from countries other than the United States
According to Transport Canada, vehicles manufactured to meet the safety requirements for countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, can NOT be altered to comply and can NOT be imported into Canada.

However, vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured, and buses that were manufactured before January 1, 1971, are an exception to this rule and CAN be imported into Canada.

Vehicles acquired in foreign countries other than the U.S. and designed, built, tested and certified to meet either all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or all applicable United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and bearing a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, as required by the Regulations, may be eligible for importation into Canada provided the vehicle has not been altered and the certification from the original manufacturer is maintained.

The illegal importation of a motor vehicle into Canada is a criminal offense. Inadmissible vehicles will be denied entry into Canada and will be detained. All storage and disposal fees are the responsibility of the importer.

TofuBoi
09-14-2004, 10:46 AM
GUYS, HE"S FROM CALIFORNIA! not from Alberta!

Hitokiri_Gensai
09-14-2004, 11:45 AM
eitherway i still dont have an answer about how hard it is to drive RHD

Gonthro
09-14-2004, 11:47 AM
its essentially the same.

only diffrence is the shifter is on the left side, the signal switch is on the right side.

you'll just have to bring a friend when going through drive throughs, eventually you'll get used to the lane changes and everything...

calgarys13
09-14-2004, 12:23 PM
its easy i actually prefer it..passing is no problem and parallel parking is easier..u can also go through drivethroughs in reverse:thumbsup:

20incheyes
09-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13
u can also go through drivethroughs in reverse:thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

enjoyed that

Proyecto2000
09-14-2004, 12:50 PM
u can also go through drivethroughs in reverse:thumbsup:

HAHAHA that was good :thumbsup:

mx73someday
09-14-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm in a biased position, but everyone who has test driven our imported cars say that RHD is easier than they expected.

SkylineAdmirer
09-14-2004, 03:05 PM
.u can also go through drivethroughs in reverse:thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If You're worried about passing get a small camera installed on the front left side mirror, with a small Screen on the dash to show you what it sees, I've heard of a shop that did it but never got the location, i'm sure you could find 1

Hitokiri_Gensai
09-14-2004, 03:18 PM
alright thanks guys ill keep those things in mind.

as for buying a RHD Prelude, someone had already imported and legalized and then had to sell it because of money issues, and i was looking for a Prelude in the first place, and this one wasnt too much more than my budget (15,000) so i went ahead and bought it. so, right now its in the process of being shipped from L.A. i felt it was unique and i really liked it so, i figured what the heck, why not.

Rockski
09-14-2004, 06:19 PM
..u can also go through drivethroughs in reverse:thumbsup:

i had to when the driver side window didnt work, i also had a buddy with me though

rockym20
09-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Dude's, that statement on importing vehicles does say you can import new vehicles, so long as they meet either Canadian or US standards and have a certificate of compliance from the manufacturer. So, it would be pretty difficult to do it as a private sale on a used car, but if you bought a brand new car direct from the manufacturer, you might be able to do it.

Crashoveride
09-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Yes but not all new cars meet CDN standards and therefor could not be brought into Canada, just look at the EVO 8.

Girlie_racer
09-17-2004, 03:00 PM
yes right hand drives are legal but there is only a very few insurance companies out there that will insure it.

i was looking at changing mine over to a right hand drive, until i found out how much it would cost for insurance!!!!!

I'm paying 89.00 a month right now and for a right hand drive it went up to $750.00 a month truly not worth it i would highly suggest you check out prices on insurance first

QuasarCav
09-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Girlie_racer
yes right hand drives are legal but there is only a very few insurance companies out there that will insure it.

i was looking at changing mine over to a right hand drive, until i found out how much it would cost for insurance!!!!!

I'm paying 89.00 a month right now and for a right hand drive it went up to $750.00 a month truly not worth it i would highly suggest you check out prices on insurance first

:eek: :eek:

Almost a 1000% increase because you are sitting on the other side!!

SkylineAdmirer
09-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

:eek: :eek:

Almost a 1000% increase because you are sitting on the other side!!

u smoke 2 much weed n crack

A_3
09-17-2004, 06:22 PM
^ If you are going to post, post something constructive.

A $661.00 increase is insane though. Is that all insurance companies or just the one you are with now. I can't imagine all those '89 Skylines being imported cost near that much to insure monthly just because they are rhd.

mx73someday
09-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by A_3

A $661.00 increase is insane though. Is that all insurance companies or just the one you are with now. I can't imagine all those '89 Skylines being imported cost near that much to insure monthly just because they are rhd.

I've had a few RHD cars under my personal insurance policy and they gave me the same rate as a LHD car. Only $100-120/month. I've never heard of an outrageous increase like that before either. Maybe its because the car was to be converted and you explicitly told them this.

acmax2
09-17-2004, 07:09 PM
When you import a new car into the country IE from the states It has to meet Canadian standards for testing.
Three main things:
1) Our front bumpers have crash ratings different than the states. You have to change them to Canadian ones
2) Daytime running lights are required in Canada
3) Speedo has to be in KM not MPH
Basically if a car is available in Canada and you buy one in the states to bring it here it has to meet all the canadian standards.
Cars 15 years and older just need the paper work and they don't have to meet the modern day standards.

Girlie_racer
09-17-2004, 07:37 PM
i wasn't saying that that would be what he would pay. i was only suggesting that he check out insurace prices first.... i check with two other insurance companies besides my own and both where about the same. it might be alittle higher for me cause i have some mods done to it

Mike09
09-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Insurance is a pain in the ass to find but the price was only a bit higher on my Silvia than my old 240sx.

SkylineAdmirer
09-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by A_3

Yea, that wasn't exactly constructive, anyways, those skyline guys pay about 2 grand a year, if your lucky mind you, its not RHD insurance companies just dont seem to like skyline's.
Anyway, no1 should pay 750 a month, thats highway robbery, shop around more cuz thats :bullshit:

I'm gonna import a skyline next year(yes into canada) and no1 plz spam and flame me for this, its happened b4 i relized sum mistakes i was making and corected them in my head)
I'm expecting to pay anywhere between 1500 - 3000 a year.
I'd probably be stupid to drive without insurance if They charged me 750 a month, i mean come on, who can afford that??? honestly.

Don't pay more than 3 grand a year and thats if your a bad driver.