PDA

View Full Version : To Soap or Not to Soap

Steel Angel
06-13-2002, 09:22 AM
:banghead: I'm confused.

I have been advised by many friends that using soap on the car is illegal, and fines could be given.

However, many retailers have soap or soap-like products available for purchase to - well - wash the car.

:dunno: Which is it? Should I return the soap, or just stick with the public car washes and wait in line, search for change, etc etc?

Like I say, I'm confused.

Redlyne_mr2
06-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Steel Angel
:banghead: I'm confused.

I have been advised by many friends that using soap on the car is illegal, and fines could be given.

However, many retailers have soap or soap-like products available for purchase to - well - wash the car.

:dunno: Which is it? Should I return the soap, or just stick with the public car washes and wait in line, search for change, etc etc?

Like I say, I'm confused.
what the fuck...maybe in some federal park somewhere where the ecosystem can't be disturbed and the park rangers are armed it's illegal but how many charity car washes do you see every weekend, or old guys washing their mini vans in front of their houses.
Your friend may be right...who knows I can't say for sure but no one would ever fine you with or charge you because you're using soap on your car

buh_buh
06-13-2002, 09:53 AM
it technically is illegal to wash your car on your own street with soap. But unless the neighbours complain, I think your safe.

G
06-13-2002, 09:56 AM
buh_buh is right...it is a bylaw infraction because the water that goes into the sewers is not treated it directly flows into the Bow River. I have been washing my car on my driveway for years and had no problems. You will get away with it until someone calls in a complaint with City Bylaw

Steel Angel
06-13-2002, 10:01 AM
What about bio-degradeable soap, or is there such a thing? Even if the jug says nothing on the product being bio-degradeable, wouldn't that be considered safe?

Or is soap --- soap?

Davan
06-13-2002, 10:12 AM
Just wash your car at midnight in one of those all night car washes. No lineup, so you can use your soap and bucket in the bay. :D :thumbsup:

Madmax
06-13-2002, 11:33 AM
I heard that too!! This is one of the most dumbest law that I heard in a long time. Apparently all the car washes place in Calgary have a somehow recycling (cleaning of somthing like that (free of soap)) the water that we are using to wash our car.

I'm pretty sure that you could find some bio-degradeable soap. I would just wash my car anyway if I had my own place.

And going to the car wash is not that expensive either. When I go it's about 3$ or 4$. Rince, soap, after soaping the car I use a cloth to wash my car properly and I rince it afterwards.

celica girl
06-13-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Davan
Just wash your car at midnight in one of those all night car washes. No lineup, so you can use your soap and bucket in the bay. :D :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: That's what I do!

Steel Angel
06-13-2002, 12:11 PM
The thing is most of the users here are total car fanatics, so washing the car a minimum once a week in the spring and summer and even the fall, is probably a (or an absolute) must. :cool:

$4 per week (or more if the car gets splashed), may be good for some, but not all (me with no job doesn't help).

Since we pay a flat rate for water, why not take advantage of it and pressure wash the car on your own time and at your own pace. The price of the washer will outweigh the price of going to a car wash to do it - eventually. :thumbsup:

kenny
06-13-2002, 04:56 PM
I wash my car using my pressure washer and the high pressure soap on my driveway all the time, no one complains so its all good :D

2000impreza
06-13-2002, 05:03 PM
i didn't know it was illegal so use soap when washing your car outside :confused: oh well. haha. so i probably killed a couple animals last time i washed my car :devil:

RX-7_TWINTURBO
06-14-2002, 02:04 AM
the city runs on two main pipes

Sewer - this is where your poo poo goes after you flush and where soap from places like big bucket go to.
these pipes lead to a sewage prosessing plant and your crap is broken down with other chemicals to make it biodegradeable.

Storm- these are the grates you see in the sidewalk that prevent your house from flooding during a rain storm.
all of these are a direct path in to the bow river.

this all means that when you wash your car on the street, your also washing the fish and polluting the water in the river.

thats why there is a bylaw against it.

but who really cares ?? WASH AWAY !!!!:clap: :clap:

4wheeldrift
06-14-2002, 07:05 AM
There are some types of soaps that are listed as being environmentally friendly, these types are acceptable for use on your driveway. You aren't supposed to use regular soaps because they contain phosphates. The phosphates go out untreated through the storm sewers and can really screw up the ecosystem. I know a little bit of soap doesn't seem like it can do all that much, but you'd be surprised.

Davan
06-14-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by celica girl

:thumbsup: That's what I do!

Great minds think alike! Hahaha! :thumbsup: :D