PDA

View Full Version : door lock is focked

GTS Jeff
11-14-2002, 09:15 PM
aight, so the only thing broken with my car is the passenger door lock.

basically, it only locks/unlocks from the outside, but the inside switch doesnt work. i think a wire is snapped or something. i am thinking that ill fix this myself...

what do i need to know about taking the door apart and fixing this sort of thing?

Redlyne_mr2
11-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
aight, so the only thing broken with my car is the passenger door lock.

basically, it only locks/unlocks from the outside, but the inside switch doesnt work. i think a wire is snapped or something. i am thinking that ill fix this myself...

what do i need to know about taking the door apart and fixing this sort of thing?
hey man so you bought the car...sweet....anyways i have yet to pull my door panel so I may not be of much assistance, but its mainly common sense, your window lever shoudl pull right off, same with the plasitc housing around the interior door latch, keep an eye out for caps that may be conceiling any screws, if you think al the possible screws have bee pulled just pull on the door panel little by little, you may have to force some parts to get the panel to pop off but just take it slow, after youll be abe to see all the interior components of the door and go from there, sorry I cant be any more precise, let me know how it goes..

GTS Jeff
11-14-2002, 09:32 PM
hmm, so basically just pry the mofo off?

but yea, i got the ae86. pretty freaking sweet! its a blast to put it sideways!

Redlyne_mr2
11-14-2002, 09:38 PM
hmm, so basically just pry the mofo off?

but yea, i got the ae86. pretty freaking sweet! its a blast to put it sideways!
hahahah yah it is, has all the intake resonator plastic piping right ontop and behind the rad that runs perpendicular to the engine, een pulled? if your airbox is nothing but an airbox with no piping coming out of it and you can read 4age on the timing belt cover then its been taken off but if it hasnt then get rid of all that piping, I did it to mine and a noticed somemore top end and as soon as 5000 rpm comes up it sounds like vtec:thumbsup: if you ever need parts for it hondatoy has tons of used parts, let me know if you ever need there number, I bought a control arm with everything on it including a link kit for 40 bucks, it was used of course, but toyota wanted 350 for a new one:thumbsdow

GTS Jeff
11-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

hahahah yah it is, has all the intake resonator plastic piping right ontop and behind the rad that runs perpendicular to the engine, een pulled? if your airbox is nothing but an airbox with no piping coming out of it and you can read 4age on the timing belt cover then its been taken off but if it hasnt then get rid of all that piping, I did it to mine and a noticed somemore top end and as soon as 5000 rpm comes up it sounds like vtec:thumbsup: if you ever need parts for it hondatoy has tons of used parts, let me know if you ever need there number, I bought a control arm with everything on it including a lonk kit for 40 bucks, it was used of course, but toyota wanted 350 for a new one:thumbsdow yea! i saw all that intake piping behind the rad...and i was thinking that i would pull it off one of these days. there arent any sensors in there though right?

the 5000rpm "kick" that u feel is the T-VIS kicking in!

Redlyne_mr2
11-14-2002, 09:46 PM
yea! i saw all that intake piping behind the rad...and i was thinking that i would pull it off one of these days. there arent any sensors in there though right?

the 5000rpm "kick" that u feel is the T-VIS kicking in!
no there arent any sensors at all its all just plastic trash:thumbsdow yah tvis the original vtec haha

James
11-14-2002, 09:52 PM
What exactly is T-VIS? what does it do? ......all i know is at like 4600 rpm, it gets alot louder:dunno:

szw
11-14-2002, 09:56 PM
Sweet you got your car!

I was looking at my door-lock system the other day and its just a bunch of rods that interconnect.

I'd suggest searching through some forums to get actual instructions though. I nearly broke my door before finding out I was missing a hidden screw.

either try the forums, or maybe those haynes manuals. They have instructions on how to remove things. Crutchfield is where I found my instructions (labeled as how to change door speaker)

Redlyne_mr2
11-14-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by James
What exactly is T-VIS? what does it do? ......all i know is at like 4600 rpm, it gets alot louder:dunno:
tvis sort fo creats backpressure in your intake syste, what it does is it closes off one of the 2 intake runners on each cylinder, this cause I larger intake "charge" why creates more torque at lower rpm, when the vehicle is accelerating and reaches an rpm range where torque really isnt needed as much (4600-5000rpm) tvis opens the closed runners and allows mroe air in which creates more top end:thumbsup: its basically somehitn gthat honda should incorporate with there vtec engines

GTS Jeff
11-14-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by szw
Sweet you got your car!

I was looking at my door-lock system the other day and its just a bunch of rods that interconnect.

I'd suggest searching through some forums to get actual instructions though. I nearly broke my door before finding out I was missing a hidden screw.

either try the forums, or maybe those haynes manuals. They have instructions on how to remove things. Crutchfield is where I found my instructions (labeled as how to change door speaker) hehe i cant afford a haynes manual, but i think ill try to find something online...whats crotchfield?

tvis sort fo creats backpressure in your intake syste, what it does is it closes off one of the 2 intake runners on each cylinder, this cause I larger intake "charge" why creates more torque at lower rpm, when the vehicle is accelerating and reaches an rpm range where torque really isnt needed as much (4600-5000rpm) tvis opens the closed runners and allows mroe air in which creates more top end:thumbsup: its basically somehitn gthat honda should incorporate with there vtec engines honda does have this! its called vtec-e and 3-stage vtec. geez man, didnt u read that huge thing i wrote about vtec :guns:

Redlyne_mr2
11-14-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by szw
Sweet you got your car!

either try the forums, or maybe those haynes manuals. They have instructions on how to remove things. Crutchfield is where I found my instructions (labeled as how to change door speaker)
forums are a great way to get info...im assuming youve been to www.club4ag.com...when yroe prying the door ad its popping off everywhere except for one or a few places then its pretty easy to pin point ans assume that there is a screw hidden there somewhere, as I said just take it slow

James
11-14-2002, 10:10 PM

tvis sort fo creats backpressure in your intake syste, what it does is it closes off one of the 2 intake runners on each cylinder, this cause I larger intake "charge" why creates more torque at lower rpm, when the vehicle is accelerating and reaches an rpm range where torque really isnt needed as much (4600-5000rpm) tvis opens the closed runners and allows mroe air in which creates more top end:thumbsup: its basically somehitn gthat honda should incorporate with there vtec engines

Cool, I knew it was something like this , i had just no idea how to desribe it:tongue: :thumbsup:.......Ive actually had people Say, "what is that Vtec?" when they here it kick in. :nut:

Redlyne_mr2
11-14-2002, 10:16 PM

honda does have this! its called vtec-e and 3-stage vtec. geez man, didnt u read that huge thing i wrote about vtec :guns:
hehe vtec and I have never really been friends, im sure whatever you wrote though was absolutely wonderful jeff:thumbsup: ..sigh being a car enthusiast I should probably go read it and school myself

Sketch
11-15-2002, 02:28 AM
If you look at a dissected TVIS box you'll notice that when the secondary butterflys are closed, they are blockin air to 4 of the 8 airways to the intake manifold. Basically it prevents air from getting to 4 of the intake valves, thus increasing the velocity of the intake charge. Pretty cool system for its day, and I find that Toyota's TVIS engines have much better torque curves than Honda's 'gutless before 5600RPM' TVEC engines. But then again when honda's finally hit that 5600RPM mark they frickin fly.