PDA

View Full Version : Q about 99 impreza outback

EstoMax
11-14-2002, 10:35 PM
my moms 99 impreza outback has this problem..
when u turn left and accelerate in the turn theres some grindy noise that u can feel wit ur feet coming from the engine somewhere.. doesnt happen in right turn and doesnt happen if i dont accelerate...
anyone kno what the prob is? my moms takin it in to the shop on friday so... i was wondering if i could have 2 answers (shop n u guys)

thanks

max

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Your CV joint is Probably screwed
But i really dont know if that still applies to awd as much :dunno:

EstoMax
11-14-2002, 10:39 PM
pardon my dumbness.. but whats a cv joint? and why would it only affect left turn?

thanks a bunch for the quick reply!

max

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-14-2002, 10:42 PM
Constant Velosity Joint ....it is a joint on your front drive shaft that allows the suspention to move up and down while you are putting power to the wheels ....

if the left cv joint was warn out than it would make grinding noises while turning left ...

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-14-2002, 10:49 PM
if it is the cv joint they are cretty cheap to replace if you Do it your self ...i did mine on my car and it was $150 bucks for the whole drive axle assembly minus a $70 core charge rebate

in total it came out to about 70 bucks and 4 hours of my own labour ...

EstoMax
11-14-2002, 10:51 PM
ok.. ill have my mom assess the price in dealership.. but i doubt i can do it myself.. im only 16.. ill talk to my moms bf tho his into restoring old cars..

edit: btw it doesnt damage anything if we dont get it fixed right away right?

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-14-2002, 10:55 PM
it could become unsafe over time ...but other than that your only gonna further damage the drive shaft which will have to be replaced anyways ...

my advice is to take your corners a little slower untill it is fixed :thumbsup:

EstoMax
11-14-2002, 10:57 PM
drive shaft? is that expensive ?

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-14-2002, 10:59 PM
around 80 bucks if you trade your old one in ...

your car is probably still under warranty so take it to the dealer and have them look at it .

it may end up costing you nothing

EstoMax
11-14-2002, 11:01 PM
na i dont think it has warranty we got it from a friend who fixes cars who got it with side damage (doors had to b replaced and frame straightened a lil..) we got a verrry nice deal so we're happy

tulit
11-15-2002, 03:52 AM
I had the same thing on my Impreza. The boot tore, all the grease got out and dirt got in.

Depending on how long its been like that I guess depends on what all needs to be replaced. Once dirt gets in there, it wears the joint really fast. This might be your problem.

If it needs to be replaced (and not under warranty), take it to AllMakes Subaru Repair. I think they are still on 32nd Ave, 12st (thereabouts) NE. It will be cheaper than going through the dealer, and they do good work...

tulit
11-15-2002, 03:52 AM
oh nm about allmake. your not in calgary ;)

EstoMax
11-17-2002, 03:32 PM
ah.. teh dumb dealer didnt even figure out what the sound was caused by.. said that they coudlnt reproduce it :|
soi went under the car today and looked at the wheels at the rubber thingies and they on both sides seem dry to me... front and back..

Weapon_R
11-17-2002, 06:32 PM
I thought that CV joints made a clicking sound when you turn?

Could it not be the ball joints? I remember I had the same problem in my uncles Tempo and it was fixed with the ball joint.

EstoMax
11-17-2002, 07:40 PM
hmm. mab oil leaked out and didnt leave any stain? :)

if its during left turn then its the left front cv joint right ? or could it b one of back ones ?