PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or has this site been slow lately

Redlyne_mr2
11-14-2002, 11:41 PM
I guess it had to happen, with 945 members the site has seemed much slower lately and ive been getting so many cgi errors, i dont want to sound like a whinny bitch because I love this forum and appreciate all the work all the admins and mods put into it. By the way I was looking at the members list and over half of the members on here have never even posted on here before, do their accounts take up bandwidth?

rage2
11-15-2002, 12:46 AM
I haven't noticed slowdowns or CGI errors (and I'm on a lot!), but a new server IS on the way :D. There were some light slowdowns last week, but I tweaked the database server a bit and it's much improved.

Ben
11-15-2002, 12:58 AM
yeah, people who dont come back or post in 30 days should be deleted...look at abcars, like 30 people actively post...

boi-alien
11-15-2002, 01:03 AM
i haven't noticed slowdowns

szw
11-15-2002, 01:33 AM
I don't think you can just delete them, I'm sure there are people who just like to read and not post.

Maybe for accounts that haven't been logged into for a few months or something. That would still suck though.

kenny
11-15-2002, 02:04 AM
Dormant/Idle accounts are insignificant in terms of performance. They add VERY little to the overall database size. Upgrades to the server are coming, we did not anticipate this level of growth and originally planned to upgrade the servers at a later date. Hopefully any issues will be resolved by then, but it isn't too bad right now.

E36M3
11-15-2002, 02:43 AM
What kind of setup are you guys running? Is it a shared environment?

Ben
11-15-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Dormant/Idle accounts are insignificant in terms of performance. They add VERY little to the overall database size. Upgrades to the server are coming, we did not anticipate this level of growth and originally planned to upgrade the servers at a later date. Hopefully any issues will be resolved by then, but it isn't too bad right now.

Its not a true representation of members, there should be a clause that Hotmail has, if you dont login once every 30 days the acount is deleted. Woop dee doo, beyond has 940 members, how many have actually said a word or come back, thats what I'm referring to?

infamous
11-15-2002, 09:26 AM
yeah i agree...if they don't log on within 30 days, their account should be deleted...if they bitch, too bad for them :D

rage2
11-15-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Benny
Its not a true representation of members, there should be a clause that Hotmail has, if you dont login once every 30 days the acount is deleted. Woop dee doo, beyond has 940 members, how many have actually said a word or come back, thats what I'm referring to?

About 60-70% are active accounts.

Ben
11-15-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by rage2

About 60-70% are active accounts.

EXACTLY, so thats like 350 people not using thiers...meah, whatever

kenny
11-15-2002, 10:35 AM
Benny, since it doesn't take up much (if any) resources to keep the dormant accounts, there is no point in removing them. There is reason to keep them even if the last login has been an extended period, and that is some people who DO register for an account, could still be reading the forums as a guest only to login to post occasionally. If were to delete accounts that are inactive after 30 days on a regular basis, we would also have to implement a system to notify these users on an ongoing basis to ensure they don't lose their accounts forcing them to login even if they don't want to post. All that extra burden on the server for what? just so the member count is a more accurate representation of the actual active members?

If removing dormant members actually made a significant hit on forum performance, they would be deleted without hesitation.

See the point?

rage2
11-15-2002, 10:48 AM
I'd hate to go on a 30 day vacation and come back to realize my account is dead :D.

Ben
11-15-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Benny, since it doesn't take up much (if any) resources to keep the dormant accounts, there is no point in removing them. There is reason to keep them even if the last login has been an extended period, and that is some people who DO register for an account, could still be reading the forums as a guest only to login to post occasionally. If were to delete accounts that are inactive after 30 days on a regular basis, we would also have to implement a system to notify these users on an ongoing basis to ensure they don't lose their accounts forcing them to login even if they don't want to post. All that extra burden on the server for what? just so the member count is a more accurate representation of the actual active members?

If removing dormant members actually made a significant hit on forum performance, they would be deleted without hesitation.

See the point?
Roger that...

It just seems wasteful is all, I mean look how many people milk abcars for webspace and have never made a post on there ever, LOL...

I dunno, its not like you said a big systems hog, but people who sign up and never come back...thats not cool...how could you not come back here? This placse decimates all!!!:thumbsup: :D

Redlyne_mr2
11-15-2002, 11:32 AM
BTW the site has been hauling ass today...thats what Redlyne likes to see:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
11-15-2002, 11:40 AM
Just out of curiousity, where do the CGI errors come from?

I get three errors:

1. The CGI errors
2. Sometimes the page doesn't load at all and I have to refresh it
3. Yesterday I got some weird message that said an error occurred and that an email was sent to the admin.

DSM Power
11-15-2002, 10:26 PM
I just wanted to give you guys thumbs up for all the hard work and ongoing improvements. I'm one of the few who know what it actually takes to keep things running smooth, and make it all happen. ;) :thumbsup:

BTW, IMHO a more realistic account review period is every 6 months. :)

rage2
11-16-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
1. The CGI errors

Still trying to track that down. I'm hoping it's a problem with the OS somewhere I can't nail down... the new server should be here middle next week.

2. Sometimes the page doesn't load at all and I have to refresh it

That's a rare condition when the page you're loading is locked because someone is posting (db table lock). When it gets busy, sometimes it takes a while to commit changes. I think anyways... Again, new server will fix that problem as we're adding transaction support.

3. Yesterday I got some weird message that said an error occurred and that an email was sent to the admin.

I fixed that, played with some database settings which I shouldn't have :D.

GTS Jeff
11-16-2002, 03:12 AM
wow, it sounds like a full time job keeping things going here!

good job guys! :thumbsup: :love:

lsvetc
11-17-2002, 01:23 AM
yeah, props for the hard work! :thumbsup:

turboMiata
11-17-2002, 10:46 AM
I see CGI errors once in a while but overall, the forum has been consistently FAST compared to other vBulletin forum's I've visited.

surferbaby13
12-16-2002, 05:17 PM
ryan you are a dumbass.....its this shitty computer at home. You distroyed whatever was left from it by downloading garbagr. And for some reason anytime one logs into beyond and you close the internet it starts up again. Who knows....but its our computer that sucks not the forum itself. as in slow

Redlyne_mr2
12-16-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by surferbaby13
ryan you are a dumbass.....its this shitty computer at home. You distroyed whatever was left from it by downloading garbagr. And for some reason anytime one logs into beyond and you close the internet it starts up again. Who knows....but its our computer that sucks not the forum itself. as in slow
i posted this thread about 2 months ago from my new laptop which hauls ass but thanks for coming out

surferbaby13
12-19-2002, 10:09 AM
hey no prob