PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye NHL season

A_3
09-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Well roughly 9 hours until it's official. I liked what Bettman said though, I hope the owners don't crack. The NHLPA is unrealistic and will probably spell the end of the NHL if the current leadership (Bob Goodenow and company) stays in power. Good thing I savoured that last game of the world cup last night... now what am I gunna watch all winter? :cry:

Gonthro
09-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by A_3
Well roughly 9 hours until it's official. I liked what Bettman said though, I hope the owners don't crack. The NHLPA is unrealistic and will probably spell the end of the NHL if the current leadership (Bob Goodenow and company) stays in power. Good thing I savoured that last game of the world cup last night... now what am I gunna watch all winter? :cry: CURLING YAY :thumbsup: :banghead: :rofl:

roopi
09-15-2004, 01:02 PM
If anyone wants to watch the news conference it is on right now here:

http://nhlcbanews.com/index.html

QuasarCav
09-15-2004, 01:14 PM
That sucks, I was really excited for Calgary this year.

I hate NFL, make it stop.

bigboom
09-15-2004, 01:37 PM
well i got the NFL and NBA...so im not too bored, yet

Dave P
09-15-2004, 02:39 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=98791

Well here comes a long long winter

sputnik
09-15-2004, 02:41 PM
AHL! Go Manitoba Moose!

Shaolin
09-15-2004, 02:42 PM
NFL, and Soccer for me.. :D

D'z Nutz
09-15-2004, 03:01 PM
This sucks. Just when the playoffs had me all interested in hockey again... Oh shit, wasn't I supposed to jump off the bandwagon months ago? I guess I missed my stop! Hahaha!

Does anyone know if OSHL will be televised?
http://www.oshl.ca/

MM99lude
09-15-2004, 03:41 PM
The NFL will be good as always, but i think the NBA season is gonna be good for the first time in years with all the blockbuster trades.. it might actually get interested in it again... other then that i cant wait for some more MARCH MADNESS!!!

dasdin
09-15-2004, 03:41 PM
booooooooooooo-uurnssssss for bettman

cman
09-15-2004, 03:57 PM
well looks like i will now actually know something about the NFL, unlike previous years, when i was addicted to the NHL. NBA i will enjoy as always. then soccer i will always be paying attention too. wont be the same though

silverTEG
09-15-2004, 04:15 PM
college football :thumbsup:

A_3
09-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I watch the NFL pretty religiously. But it never really interfered with my hockey watching. The NBA should be pretty good this year as well, can't wait to see Shaq and Kobe go. Why booo-urns Bettman, more like fuck Goodenow!

cujo_cjc
09-15-2004, 05:01 PM
yes its a sad sad day for me
cuz i dont really like any other sports other than volleyball
i just cant get into nba or nfl
and dont even get me started on mlb :rofl:

gongSHOW
09-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Does anyone know if OSHL will be televised?
http://www.oshl.ca/

I was watching Global and they said that the OSHL have some offers from US networks to televise it, but they have nothing in contract yet. They were also going to use Molson Garden (or whatever the old maple leaf rink is called).

marq-jt
09-15-2004, 09:17 PM
NFL and NBA is not as that good seeing as we dont even have an NBA team or NFL NHl was good we actually had a team and almost won the cup too...this suxs...no more red mile ahhhhhhh....lol

:drama:

3G
09-15-2004, 09:20 PM
we can make a beyond-HL, well go nation wide, teams like detroit will be 50 mustangs and tampa and calgary, can be honda and acura, NICE

cobber112879
09-15-2004, 09:55 PM
You guys still have the Hitmen. Can't say anything bad about WHL.:thumbsup:

Ben
09-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Basketball and Football is fuckin boring compared to hockey. Nothing gives you that edge of the seat nailbiting rush that hockey does when the clock runs down and the golie's been pulled. Thinks can change in a flash, anyone who watched the NHL playoffs last year knows that.

I mean football's got its moments but it's so much wasted time betwen plays. Basketball's a yawn.

max_boost
09-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Basketball and Football is fuckin boring compared to hockey. Nothing gives you that edge of the seat nailbiting rush that hockey does when the clock runs down and the golie's been pulled. Thinks can change in a flash, anyone who watched the NHL playoffs last year knows that.

I mean football's got its moments but it's so much wasted time betwen plays. Basketball's a yawn. Spoken like a true Canadian! LOL

I haven't watched basketball much since the Jordan days but NFL Ownz! CFL is a joke, Stampeders suck! haha

Kobe
09-15-2004, 11:41 PM
This sucks and i just met Denis Gauthier, dunno what his still doing in calgary i guess, but his a fucken pimp :P and his wife today, sooo nice.. and his wife is :drool:

Altezza
09-16-2004, 02:11 AM
No hockey...dang...what am I going to do all winter?? :cry:

Ben
09-16-2004, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Spoken like a true Canadian! LOL

I haven't watched basketball much since the Jordan days but NFL Ownz! CFL is a joke, Stampeders suck! haha

hahaha, you got it.

I mean dont get me wrong...I enjoy watching the big games (Grey Cup, Conference Finals, Superbowl) but if I was bored one day and I had to choose between a plain ole football game and mowing the lawn, the lawn would look exceptionally good.

ZorroAMG
09-16-2004, 09:24 AM
It's about time something was done about the ridiculous salaries these guys get. NO company in the business world would continue to pay guys in the mailroom millions of dollars if they were losing millions, why should it be different for hockey players?

If the NBA and NFL make money instead of losing it, then their salaries are justified. If not :dunno:

Melinda
09-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Luckily I'm a big fan of NFL and NBA, but it will be sad not to have a season. I really think Calgary would have had a good one from the get go this year, instead of just in the playoffs. Who knows what will happen with a year in between that :(

Gondi Stylez
09-16-2004, 10:17 AM
This is a shame to the hokcey world! eveyone is this industry and related ones will loose out! gary betman and theh owners are not going to budge on his platfrom and this is retatred!

the NHL needs to have some sort of luxury tax and evue sharing to keep the small market teams playing hockey or this will end up being canada's loss like how it was in 94 when winnipeg and quebec moved! calgary and edmonton will be the first and nasville, minny, columbus and carolina will also be in the pooper! what a HUGE LOSS for the NHL as a whole and for canada! the NHL should do w/e it takes to keep canadaian teams alive and cutting the useless NHL teams in the states where hockey even isnt the top 4 spots year round INCLUDING playoffs!

the NHL and NHLPA is full of fuckin retards and thw owers are arrogant and think they know EVRYTHING!!

and if your one of those fans that says "well hockey players get paid so much so why are they complaing" then you need some help because you go to the movies and pay 10-15 bux just on the ticket to watch ur fav actor/actress who got paid $30 million just to do ONE movie where hockey players make on avg 3-4mil in 2-4 years.

there have also been salary reduction for eg. goalies! 94/95 goalies were making a huge amount of money and now 10 years later about 7-8 goalies have signed 2+ years for under 5mil! that is ++ in the RIGHT direction from the players and the owners need to see that there 40mil cap is retatrded as the projected cap in 94 at the CBA was 15mil!! hahah only 10 years later is more then double that!

the only way the NHL will stay and most importanly in canada is if there is reveue sharing and a luxury tax! this will not only help the small market teams but it will help the NHL as a whole!!

ok, well sorry for my rant! im just upset first because there wont be a season next year and because the NHL and NHLPA is full of fucking reatards who dont know shit! for one i can say that brian burkes porposal on CBC during the world cup finals was the BEST one so far! the NHL and NHLPA should really look at that! im not in favor of a cap because it will falter so how in the long run! the players need to see where the $$ is going and the mistrust b/w the players and the league is ALL these problkems have started!

Thanks!:nut:

wildrice
09-16-2004, 10:21 AM
there's still a chance that the hocket season could start late no?

n e wayz, it'll be NFL n NBA for me
those two have alwasy been exciting for me

ninjak84
09-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Damn I hate the NFL. It's such a joke to watch, because half the time no one on the field knows the fucking rules! They spend most of the game-time wondering which call to make, and it always ends up ruining the game.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
It's about time something was done about the ridiculous salaries these guys get.

Yeah, the NHLPA can suck my dick. This whole dispute turned me off of hockey at least for the next few years. It'd be nice if the players had to get real jobs for a while and see what the rest of the world has to go through for $1 million a year :rolleyes:
Talk about fan appreciation. Holding out to make 8 figures instead of 7.

Funny, I remember a time when the Flames were begging us to buy tickets so that they didn't go broke and pack up. We'll see where the fan support is if that ever happens again. Bastards.

Proyecto2000
09-16-2004, 12:53 PM
:drama:

Melinda
09-16-2004, 01:03 PM
I just found out something interesting, though thinking about it, the news doesnt shock me much. I was just talking to a client who is a family member of an NHL player. He was telling me how happy the players are about not playing this year. Several of them had already rented vacation homes in warm places like hawaii and cuba and what not several months ago so that they can rest and relax instead of head off to training camp, they had pretty much planned on not going back this year.

Turns out the players aren't "fighting" at all, they're looking forward to the time off and not having to play for a season. Hope it's worth it to them...poor guys, guess a couple million a year isn't enough to get them to come back to work like the rest of the world. Sure they work hard, but I know a hell of a lot more people who work harder then athletes who dont make anywhere CLOSE to even a fraction of a hockey player's salary. It's crap!

Gondi Stylez
09-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
...Yeah, the NHLPA can suck my dick. This whole dispute turned me off of hockey at least for the next few years. It'd be nice if the players had to get real jobs for a while and see what the rest of the world has to go through for $1 million a year :rolleyes:
Talk about fan appreciation. Holding out to make 8 figures instead of 7.

Funny, I remember a time when the Flames were begging us to buy tickets so that they didn't go broke and pack up. We'll see where the fan support is if that ever happens again. Bastards.

that is the dumbest comment i have EVER read on this issue! you should never be a fan of hockey if that is what you think!

at the end of the day hockey is an entertainment and it is a business and the players need to get paid! i dont hear you complain when u go to see haley barry in gothica, who got 20+mil for that shit show!

and the really funny part is that we got begged from the fames to show support to the team but look at the playoffs! tickets were over 1g for the finals! i went to game 6 of the finals and there wasnt 1 empty seats or hallway in the dome! in florida for game 7, guarantee to watch the cup on the ice they were giving tockets away for free to ppl JUST to come at watch!

learn hockey then talk! canada has the best fan support and i bet u any money that the flames won't want fans like u anyways!

just go watch barry! :poosie:

lam-boy
09-16-2004, 01:12 PM
:cry: :cry: :( :( DAMNIT!
i'm sad..no hockey..:cry: :cry:

edit: I just noticed the cry gif doesn't bawl its eyes out anymore. haha. it just freezes..either that or its my comp. but all of the other smilies are moving and stuff..

Gondi Stylez
09-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Here is Brian Burke's Solution for the CBA and it is AWSOME!! Some changes for sure but its in the works and the NHL should listen to this and not be so fuckin ignorant!

A WORKING SOLUTION

1. Phase in agreement over two years

Burke argues the CBA, whatever form it takes, should not go into effect immediately.

"I argued vehemently against transitional rules, but now I'm convinced we're going to need them, so you're going to need to phase-in [a new CBA] over two years."

2. Commit to a 12-year contract

While Burke concedes that a 12-year contract is a long deal, he believes his system will work if the players are guaranteed their percentage of the designated hockey revenue, in combination with an "escrow portion of that and a portion of what the league has for revenue purposes." [see point #3 below]

3. Escrow:

Seven per cent of player payroll
Ten per cent of designated hockey revenue (DHR)
Arena construction fund

"The arena construction fund is something that they've done in the NFL with stadiums and I think the players will be in a lot better shape if we didn't have debt service on all our buildings."

4. Agree to share revenues of $200 million with $75 million coming from playoff pool

"I'm proposing revenue sharing be considered at $200 million, which is more than any of the other proposals I've seen," said Burke. "Only $75 million of that would be from the playoff pool. I think that should come from some of the wealthier teams."

5. Avoid luxury tax by establishing a payroll threshold at $38 million and payroll minimum of $33 million

"I don't like the term 'luxury tax'; players aren't a luxury," said Burke. "I'm not coming off the idea of a salary cap; I think it's the best system in pro sports. I think it has worked miracles in the National Football League. But if you have to go to something else, this might work."

Burke's numbers of a $38 million payroll threshold and a $33 million minimum are not set in stone.

"They're [flexible] numbers," explained Burke. "You would have to figure out what the hockey revenues are and [adjust] the players' percentage to come up with that."

6. Set overage fees at:

1st million = $0.50 on the dollar
2nd million = $1 per dollar
3rd million = $2 per dollar
4th million = $3 per dollar
5th million or more = $5 per dollar

Burke characterized the union's luxury tax proposal akin to "changing a side-view mirror on a bus that's going off a cliff."

"It will have absolutely no impact on spending. This is a realistic, ramped up tax that should have an effect on what clubs spend."

7. Reward good business behaviour by charging fees to repeat offenders

Under Burke's proposal, teams that exceed the payroll threshold year after year would be charged a fee, with that money distributed to teams that stay within the threshold.

"If a team repeatedly is up there and is inflationary, in my mind, the tax rate should change. You should reward good behaviour on the business front."

8. Guarantee players 55 per cent of DHR

Under Burke's plan, 55 per cent of the DHR would include "the income streams that are normally allocated to players in systems like this in the NBA and NFL."

9. Build trust with joint audit controls:

1st offence = $1 million fine
2nd offence = $5 million fine

Burke argues the league and union need to agree on a joint audit system similar to the NFL's in order to build trust between the two sides.

Under Burke's plan, any team that tries to hide money would be slapped with a million-dollar fine, while a second offence would see the fine rise to $5 million.

10. Establish four-year entry-level system with a maximum $250,000 in rookie bonuses

Burke helped negotiate the entry-level system part of the CBA ten years ago, but he feels that it is "ridiculous in terms of the bonuses that rookies can earn."

"That's money that should go to veteran players," argued Burke. "Tack a year on [the entry-level system] and cap what they can make in rookie bonuses."

11. Allow unrestricted free agency at age 29

Burke feels that unrestricted free agency should drop from 31 to 29 years of age.

"I'm sure that people will say that's not enough of a move, but I think unrestricted player movement has led to a loss of confusion of identity with players in the NFL and in Major League Baseball."

12. Amend qualifying offers to restricted free agents:

The team with the rights to a player only has to match 75 per cent of the offer from another team to players over 26 years old
50 per cent for players 26 years old and under

Under the current CBA, the qualifying rate for restricted free agents is 100 per cent, depending on the player's salary. Burke thinks this is a "highly inflationary practice."

Under his plan, players over 26-years-old would get qualified at 75 per cent, while players under 26 would get qualified at 50 per cent.

"This means that once a player gets to a certain level and stops performing, he doesn't stay there forever and the team doesn't lose the rights to him.

13. Reduce regular-season games to 70 from 82

"I believe we play too many games. I think we should play 70 regular-season games and I think the product would be better, injuries would drop and I think our fans would be rewarded for that."

14. Revise salary arbitration by:

Adopting baseball's hi/low system
Allowing clubs to bring a player to arbitration
Permitting a team or player to file only once every 3 years

Burke argued that salary arbitration has to be amended if it stays in the new CBA. He believes salary arbitration has to adopt Major League Baseball's model where the arbitrator picks either the player or owner proposal, and not decide on a dollar figure somewhere in between.

Burke also believes that clubs should be able to bring a player into arbitration and that teams and players should only be allowed to file once every three years.

"Guys that file every year [make it a] highly inflationary process," states Burke.

15. Set a drop-dead date for player signings

Burke wants to adopt the NFL model where players that aren't signed by the start of the season are out for the year.

Taken from the CBC HNIC site:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2004/09/14/Sports/burke040914.html

ZorroAMG
09-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Ummm gondi, actors don't go on strike and whine like bitches when they don't get a salary they ask for, they usually take what is offered or do another project or get fired from a show. NHLPA are a buncha bitches as far as I am concerned.

Your comment about film is about as ghey and uneducated as any comments about hockey in this thread. Learn film then talk :nut: :rofl:

roopi
09-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Ummm gondi, actors don't go on strike and whine like bitches when they don't get a salary they ask for, they usually take what is offered or do another project or get fired from a show. NHLPA are a buncha bitches as far as I am concerned.

Your comment about film is about as ghey and uneducated as any comments about hockey in this thread. Learn film then talk :nut: :rofl:

Didn't the Screen Actor's Guild threaten a strike recently (in the past 2 years)? I'm not exactly sure what this organization is but I thought it was pretty much a union for actors. :dunno:

Anyways I'm with the Owners on this one. Player's salaries need to come down. Salary cap is better for all of us living in these small market areas. If you guys want to see the Flames in the playoffs again anytime soon you'd support the owners as well.

googe
09-16-2004, 01:59 PM
This is just dumb. How many people do you know get paid to play hockey? Probably an extremely small percentage, if any. Everyone else in the world is PAYING to play hockey. Cause its fun and we love the game. These guys not only get the privilege of getting paid to do it, but they get paid extremely well. They retire after half as many years as an average person and are given enough to buy virtually anything they want throughout that time. Greedy bastards.

Theres also the fact that 100% of their salaries come from fan support in some way. We support them, collectively give them enough to comfortably sit on millions, and they give us the middle finger and get a beach house for a year instead of playing...:bullshit: :bullshit:

roopi
09-16-2004, 02:33 PM
The oinly respectable player (ex) is Wayne Gretzky. The man took pay cuts and refused higher salaries.

ZorroAMG
09-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Didn't the Screen Actor's Guild threaten a strike recently (in the past 2 years)? I'm not exactly sure what this organization is but I thought it was pretty much a union for actors. :dunno:

Anyways I'm with the Owners on this one. Player's salaries need to come down. Salary cap is better for all of us living in these small market areas. If you guys want to see the Flames in the playoffs again anytime soon you'd support the owners as well.

You don't have to belong to the actor's union to be in films, unlike hockey players with the NHLPA....

sputnik
09-16-2004, 03:21 PM

You don't have to belong to the actor's union to be in films, unlike hockey players with the NHLPA....

Not taking sides here but...

One could argue that 99% of anyone with a recognizable name in Hollywood is a member of the SAG.

Personally I think the NHL players are being whiney overpayed babies.

Gondi Stylez
09-16-2004, 03:22 PM

i think ur mistaken! all hollywood stars do is complain about this that and the other! and im not saying that the plyers dont do that but if u read burkes proposal about arbitration then u would see as to why i think its soo good! i bet u didnt even read anything that i posted and if u did then all u focused on was the movie star anaology i used! and no my flim comments are educated but non-the less my opinion!

i pay 15 bux to go see a movie BUT i also payed 900 for game 6!

some call me dumb but hey it was once in a life time chnace!

Gondi Stylez
09-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by roopi

roopi, i see where ur views are on the cap but i still think and have always thought that it is the worng way to go w/ the NHL! a luxury tax and revue sharing i sthe answer for small market teams and as for higher salaries the hi/lo arbitration issue will solve that along w/ the rookie bonuses.

in any case as i stated b4 salaries have go down over the last cba so things are moving in the right direction but the owners are to blind to see that and they have hidden millions of dollars, albiet that the nhlpa has 300+ mill away some where but it seems that nobody will budge on this issue

the owners are also not honest with the nhlpa and i honestley believe that is the cause for all the stubborness

Kid_a
09-16-2004, 04:55 PM
http://www.tractorgrease.com/bands/thegame.html

:cry: :cry: :cry:

no_joke
09-16-2004, 06:02 PM
The NHLPA are being too stubborn about having a "hard salary cap." I mean, who has that? Oh yeah, only the NFL and NBA and the last time I checked, Donovan McNabb isn't on a street corner begging for quarters. That being said, the owners also have to open up the books and publicly show that they are losing x dollars every year. Everyone needs to be honest and realistic about the situation. I believe that the league cannot sustain for much longer if the players make 75% of each dollar that the NHL takes in. If you let that go on for another 10 years, you'll only have the rich teams remaining.

hyperwhite
09-16-2004, 06:23 PM
i think bettman will settle for a softcap with luxory tax, just not anytime soon.

GO HAMILTON BULLDOGS!

boi-alien
09-16-2004, 06:44 PM
when players are taking in 75% of the league's revenues there's something wrong. No matter what business you run, you can't sustain the business if you're paying your workers 75% of what you make, that's plain and simple. I say the NHLPA suck it up and stop being a bunch of whining bitches. You're getting paid to play a game that you like, not only that you're getting paid a pretty DAMN decent amount too. I'm 100% behind the owners on this one, the players are forgetting, they're employees, since when has an employee been allowed to tell their boss what to do?

ZorroAMG
09-16-2004, 06:50 PM
^exactly

Gondi, you typed more than I was interested in reading, plain and simple. I know what is going on with the situation and I formed my own opinion as well so I don't need you to tell me what I feel. That being said... Oh and again you are wrong with your movie analogy, it is one thing to complain about higher pay, it is another thing entirely to go on strike and refuse to work when your "job" is playing hockey for 6 and 7 and 8 figure salaries :rolleyes:

Seriously....

m10-power
09-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien
when players are taking in 75% of the league's revenues there's something wrong. No matter what business you run, you can't sustain the business if you're paying your workers 75% of what you make, that's plain and simple. I say the NHLPA suck it up and stop being a bunch of whining bitches. You're getting paid to play a game that you like, not only that you're getting paid a pretty DAMN decent amount too. I'm 100% behind the owners on this one, the players are forgetting, they're employees, since when has an employee been allowed to tell their boss what to do?

Look at any union (NHLPA is one) and you'll see how employees tell their bosses what to do. Happens all the time, for years. IMO unions suck ass.

So says the owners...and who's fault is it for letting this get out of hand? I would'nt believe(as the NHLPA doesn't) the numbers the league is putting forward, all crap. After last years Flames vs NHL playoffs, conspiricy theories aside, I would rather see a pro hockey league in Canada, and only Canada. Make the games affordable to actually go to ala CFL and bring me a beer :hitit:

ninjak84
09-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
canada has the best fan support and i bet u any money that the flames won't want fans like u anyways!

Yeah, especially in Winnipeg and Quebec hey?
Come on man, you can't seriously tell ME to "learn hockey" when you go and say something like that. Canadian teams are poor, and it's solely based on revenue. The only teams that HAVEN'T almost gone south over the last decade or so are Montreal and Toronto. Everywhere else, it's a struggle of ups and downs.

Just because Calgary sold out their first game in history this year, doesn't change much. Canadian support for the NHL is brutal, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. If you've seen HNIC regularly over the years, you'd know that.
Like you said in your movie reference, people pay to go see the stars. Canada can barely pay to afford a twinkle.

SOAB
09-16-2004, 10:05 PM
who the hell told you they sold out their first game in history? you honestly think there were no sellouts in the 80's? and you are trying to teach other people about hockey.....

the NHL needs a salary cap of $40mil. then a luxury tax if you pass that like Brian Burke's proposal. end of point. how many businesses do you know that pay employees 75% of their profits? would you pay yours that much? i didn't think so....

max_boost
09-16-2004, 10:15 PM
If a soft cap works for the NBA and a hard cap works for the NFL, then why the hell wouldn't some sort of cap work for the NHL? I don't care, even the bench warmers in the NHL make a minimum of $500K.

This whole thing is a joke. I'm totally on side with the owners. The players are a bunch of over paid egotistical bitches, absolutely no sympathy here.:guns: :thumbsdow

Gondi Stylez
09-16-2004, 11:14 PM
ok well enough of this! we all have different views on this site and it looks like this has really come to the forefront on this subject! i am still in favor of the NHLPA but i dont agree w/ the 75% revenue going to them, so this is why i like burkes porposal the most!

Zorro i never told you what to feel or what to do! u can think w/e u want and so on, as can i! i dont think ull understand that "hockey" as we know it isnt what the NHL is! the NHL is entertainment and that is that! just like the NBA, NFL and MLB! pro athletes will whine and bitch about their salaries in every sport eveytime! and there are still soccer players who make 200+mill USD a year and they bitch!

i personally think that most ppl are too ingroosed w/ the short term effects of the CBA and not the long term! a cap will not work in the NHL because of the poor support from the US! a luxury tax and revenue sharing seems like the most viable way to make the economic side of the NHL even out!

ninjak, canada has only EVER had 8 teams in the NHL! over the past, say 20 some years, we have only lost 2! that is pretty damn good for 2 reasons, canada's economy as a whole was shit and the NHL was loosing big time $$. now we have 6 teams and even tho ottawa, edm, and calgary were suppoosed to be heading south they havent because the fans saved the day! if the lighting said they would be leaving tampa they wouldnt beable to make half the season tickets quota they need! americans would much rather see the MLB/NBA/NFL then hockey!

max, i agree that some sort of a cap will work in the NHl and that "type" of cap comes in the form of the luxury tax and revenue sharing! w/o these two in some shape or form there will be no NHL!

silverTEG
09-17-2004, 11:05 AM
let them strike for a yr. or more, and then next year the owners can open training camp and let the guys from the AHL and whoever else make the teams and thr NHLPA can continue to strike.

funny thing is how many guuys are going to play in finland, switzerland and sweden? and they arent getting paid a fraction of what they would here!

:thumbsdow to the NHLPA, time to be realistic, the NFL and NBA have no problem with salary caps.

SI-vic
09-17-2004, 11:55 AM
how much do the elite leagues pay in europe anyways?
the average salary....

lam-boy
09-17-2004, 12:07 PM
I don't really think there is a nice average in Europe

the good get paid well (1+ million)
the average-suck get paid next to nothing (50,000 I believe)

SI-vic
09-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy
I don't really think there is a nice average in Europe

the good get paid well (1+ million)
the average-suck get paid next to nothing (50,000 I believe)

shi.t I'll take that salary just to play hockey.
but it'll give me more reason to practise and work harder for that million dollar raise.

lam-boy
09-17-2004, 12:24 PM
no kiddingman, getting paid to play the best sport on the world!
we pay to play for fun..

Melinda
09-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Meh, the way i see it, if you need a hockey fix this summer, head to an arena and watch the kids play, If you're looking for some scrappin then sit in the area between the two team's parents :rofl: That's action and a half right there! :)

ehos
09-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Gretzky is the best player ever (maybe 66 is close). And what did he get paid?

They should put a cap, with his salary at the top. And everyone else's salary in a ranked order after that (ie. He got 200 points, if you got 100, you'll get half or less).

And if some bitch whines, tell him, "You think you're Gretzky? Why should you get paid more than him??"

Nix87
09-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Not taking sides here but...

One could argue that 99% of anyone with a recognizable name in Hollywood is a member of the SAG.

Personally I think the NHL players are being whiney overpayed babies.

Good call on over payed babies.

SOAB
09-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by ehos
Gretzky is the best player ever (maybe 66 is close). And what did he get paid?

They should put a cap, with his salary at the top. And everyone else's salary in a ranked order after that (ie. He got 200 points, if you got 100, you'll get half or less).

And if some bitch whines, tell him, "You think you're Gretzky? Why should you get paid more than him??"

that could work, but what about defensemen? goalies? they'll be getting paid like 5grand a year :rofl:

burkes suggestion was the best i've heard yet.

SI-vic
09-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

that could work, but what about defensemen? goalies? they'll be getting paid like 5grand a year :rofl:

burkes suggestion was the best i've heard yet.

tell them goalies to either take a paycut or play without a mask and with smalerl equipment like the old times.

Defencemen... well.... whatever

Shaolin
09-24-2004, 09:11 AM
just got the official refund letters on my desk.. i guess they're offering all season ticket holders a special package for Hitmen games in addition to the refund with interest that was discussed on the news.

Ben
10-20-2004, 03:34 PM
New NHL Logo

CKY
10-20-2004, 03:47 PM
^ ahaha nice pic even though it pains me inside that theres no hockey, i guess football has to do for now

Melinda
10-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Looks like we might permanently lose some of the NHL players...a whole handful of them have gone overseas to play hockey...and some are earning upwards of $90,000 a month with paid apartment and car. Apparently some of them are considering staying overseas after the lockout is over if they get offered a good enough deal...:thumbsdow

Ben
10-20-2004, 05:04 PM
yeah, I dont think the NHL will recover after this.

Stupid bastards.

no_joke
10-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Ference speaks the Truth.