PDA

View Full Version : What's a launch controller?

sexualbanana
11-15-2002, 12:13 AM
In the new Sport Compact Car, they have an article about a EG Civic witha MSD three-step launch controller. What does that do?

B18C
11-15-2002, 12:19 AM
I think it's something similar to the launch rev-limiter...maybe :dunno:

2000impreza
11-15-2002, 12:41 AM
its a device that limits the revs when you are launching. for example if you have the 6000rpm pill in it will limit your max rpm to 6000. unless your car runs under 12's you don't need one.

kenny
11-15-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
Unless your car runs under 12's you don't need one.

Cars that don't run that fast can benefit from a launch control, much more consistent times at the very least.

sexualbanana
11-15-2002, 12:47 AM
it had a bunch of controls on it like a couple knobs and 2 switches that said burnout and race

B18C
11-15-2002, 12:55 AM
yup then that is what it is

Same as what I have bro, but mines a 2-stage

sexualbanana
11-15-2002, 12:57 AM
so ur not as cool

B18C
11-15-2002, 01:17 AM
i guess not :(

Mikko
11-15-2002, 05:49 AM
Isn't that a bit like cheating? Taking part of the human skill out of the sport.

I don't want driver aid, at least never for my competition cars. For a road car then sure though that thing wouldn't have a place there. :D Then we'll get faster automatic transmissions (and what you really only do then is push some button to race when you have that launch control). The drivers will do less and less.

2000impreza
11-15-2002, 10:49 AM
using a launch control is considered cheating?:dunno: so i guess driving a automatic is cheating too?

Mikko
11-15-2002, 11:15 AM
There is a price for driving an automatic - powertrain loss is higher, and shifts are often slower than manuals, are they not? :) That's why it isn't really an advantage to drive auto in most types of drag racing, and why most people don't mind it.

infamous
11-15-2002, 11:17 AM
unless your name is kenny :rofl: then yeah it might be ok to drive an auto! :D

2000impreza
11-15-2002, 11:32 AM
how is using a launch control cheating? :dunno: i think i'm going to call :bullshit: on that one.

Mikko
11-15-2002, 12:12 PM
I mean, handing over driving tasks more and more to computers takes away from the spirit of the sport. Fast reaction times, accurate quick shifting and a well build car.

Might not be technically cheating, but it doesn't make it more exciting I think :)

SilverRex
11-15-2002, 12:23 PM
agree, if you do that mine as well get a automatic.... hmm BMW M3 SMG.. yummm:drool:

nookmumracing
11-15-2002, 02:59 PM
Alot of turbo guys with big slugs use launch kits to build boost off the line. Mau uses one for his Supra, cool system but you need slicks to hook up right.:thumbsup:

Mikko
11-15-2002, 04:15 PM
How about getting all-wheel-drive if not skilled enough to launch without help from a computer? :devil:

Edit: Wierd - I was replying to someone called "DavidI" but his post is now vanished.

sexualbanana
11-15-2002, 04:23 PM
yeah that was my fault. didn't realize that he didnt log off (check ask leo)

i'll post the same thing
i don't thin kit's cheating because a lot of cars have too much power to launch properly. without it, they'd just have a ton of traction problems resulting in crappier e.t.

B18C
11-15-2002, 06:58 PM
So why is it cheating? Because it makes it easier to run faster times? Is a short shift kit cheating? How about running better tires?

Mikko
11-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Well, anything that detracts from the little driving input required would detract from the sport in my opinion. Just imagine more and more things getting automated. Shifting, revving, steering (direction ctontrol). All you'd need to do in the end is push a button when you see the signal. Then take it even further, a system that gets the car at go - and then even worse, no driver needed at all - you don't even need to sit in the car, computerized system does it all by itself.

As I said, I think it's cheat-like because it removes something that was in the hand of the driver and lets a computer do it instead.

ConVict
11-15-2002, 07:46 PM
I know no one likes my 2 cents ... But I think its SOME WHAT cheating too ....
ITs just like if you had a system that watched the light for you, and gunned it at a perfect .500 everytimg. That would be cheating would it not !
I think pretty close to anything that will drop your 1/4 time with NO driving skill what so ever involved is on the virge of cheating !
I know people who have a msd rpm thing and Its not like I called em stupid for buying it ... I would just rather myself say ya I got a 15.0 because I KNOW how to drive compared too.. I just got this controller that dropped my time by 2 seconds cause I dont know how to drive worth shit ??!?!you know what I am saying ?!?!?!
bah i am rabbaling
Obviously When i say drop your time... you cant take that as I mean anything that drops time... You know what I am saying !

B18C
11-15-2002, 09:02 PM
i get what you guys are saying but a launch controller like this will not really drop your time. Well, I guess it could if you have a turbo because it lets you maintain boost right off the line but I don't see how that is cheating. Other than that all it does it let you run more consistently, which I guess could be seen as cheating in bracket racing.

Autodream
11-16-2002, 03:39 AM
I don't think a stage rev limiter is cheating. all it does is help you get a better launch every time, so you don't have to watch the light and your RPM gauge at the same time. when I race with my 18" against someone with slick I don't consider him cheating. on the 1/4 isn't it a test on your engine's performance. and that include everything that helps it achieve that level of performance

kenny
11-16-2002, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by infamous
unless your name is kenny :rofl: then yeah it might be ok to drive an auto! :D

I figure I would put myself at a disadvantage to keep things more exciting. :thumbsup: :rofl:

sexualbanana
11-16-2002, 03:36 PM
wouldnt it kinda be cheating then if u have a turbo or any sort of FI? because it's taking away from the driver's skill compared to what an NA car has to do

B18C
11-16-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
wouldnt it kinda be cheating then if u have a turbo or any sort of FI? because it's taking away from the driver's skill compared to what an NA car has to do

no.

theken
11-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Mikko
There is a price for driving an automatic - powertrain loss is higher, and shifts are often slower than manuals, are they not? :) That's why it isn't really an advantage to drive auto in most types of drag racing, and why most people don't mind it.
Actually in most 1/4 mile drag cars that are built strictly for drag racing are automatics, they have a transmission that runs around 10,000 that has 4 levers that you pull down on but there is no clutch, they are an automatic transmission though, and automatics shift faster then standards unless you are like crazy fast, they dont have to clutch then shift then re;lease clutch they just shift.:thumbsdow