PDA

View Full Version : twincharging?

MR.TWO
09-16-2004, 09:22 AM
i knoe all the parts i need its just that i am poor so i will be buying part by part if anyone knows what i should buy first and and so on pls help!

MR.TWO
09-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Motor:
• 1.7 Liters Port and Polish
• JE Pistons 8:1
• O-ringed block
• Chrome Rings
• Hi-temp coating on pistons
• Shotpeened and polished rods
• Valve job (On Serdi 100)
• HKS Cams (256 degrees)
• HKS Adjustable Cam Gears
• HKS SC Pulley
• TRD Motor Mounts
• Blueprinted Stock Oilpump
• All Oil passages ported
• HKS racing Bypass valve to divert air around the SC
Turbo:
• TO4B H3 Compressor Wheel
• T3 Turbine Housing
• Zen Blow-off Valve
• Turbonetics MBC
Intake:
• K&N Filter on Turbo Inlet
Exhaust:
• Custom Full 3" Exhaust
• Dynomax muffler
Intercooler:
• Spearco Liquid-2-Air. Radiator in Front, Heat Exchanger in stock IC location. Pump located under heat exchanger
Engine Management:
• SDS (Installed by Blanchard Performance)
• 550cc Injectors
• Bosch High Flow Fuel Pump
• J&S Knockgaurd (1st gen black box)
Ignition:
• MSD 6A MSD
• Blaster 2 Coil
• Magnecore Wires
• Marc Summer's modified cap

1-Bar
09-16-2004, 12:21 PM
wow....that's quite the list. If your poor I would not suggest you attemp this. Anything HKS or TRD is expensive. If it were me, I would buy the stuff you can sell of fairly easily in case your project doesn't work out, ie. the turbo.

BTW did you rip this off of someone else's setup???

EricEric
09-16-2004, 04:29 PM
ya that is so some one elses set up, i doubt u can dupicate it even if u have the, money proably too that guy along time to turn it, i suggest ebay parts risky but cheaper the new, 80% of that stuff on the list u dont need, u have low comp pistons already, get a turbo manifold and a cheap turbo pipe it into the intake side do the exhaust side, dump more fuel in with piggy back fmu or raising rate pressure regulator/ injectors/ fuel pump.. and u should be able to get it run, alot of calcucaltion need to be fiugure out its not just bold on, most of those part liek the pistons and machine work just are to back up the block by strenghting it, which should be done, but take time and money, proably be cheaper just to blow this block up and keep buying new ones, there are alotof limitation to boosting the 4a since only 1600cc dont expect big power and even if u can u are comprimising sometihng else, the 1.7 strocker kit is super rare another choice would be a 7a block whihc is a 1.8 but not as good as the gze block.... i think u should just leave it stock

MR.TWO
09-21-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
wow....that's quite the list. If your poor I would not suggest you attemp this. Anything HKS or TRD is expensive. If it were me, I would buy the stuff you can sell of fairly easily in case your project doesn't work out, ie. the turbo.

BTW did you rip this off of someone else's setup???

i have always wanted a twincharged mr2 so if money is an issue i will have to skip a meal or two. i found i found this setup at http://www2.msstate.edu/~sgn1/MR2/mkimod.htm check it out it has alot of sick mr2

jvillain
09-23-2004, 11:11 PM
For the cost of all those parts you could buy a reasonably good shape MKII T. Sell your MK for some parts and totally kill any thing you could do with your MKI.

There really aren't many mods that make sence on the MK1.

Improve the exaust
Improve the intake
SC pulleys

Would be my first 3 steps.

bcrdukes
09-27-2004, 10:12 AM
How and where did you manage to get yourself a turbo manifold for your car? :)

I'm currently still looking for one. Thanks!

MR.TWO
09-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by bcrdukes
How and where did you manage to get yourself a turbo manifold for your car? :)

I'm currently still looking for one. Thanks!

look at the HKS web site

bcrdukes
09-27-2004, 04:28 PM
^
They don't make one for the AW11 4A-GZE, unfortunately.

They do, however, make one for the AE86 4A-GE which has an overhead manifold design.

It won't fit the 4A-GZE unless you want to hack out portions of your firewall. :)

bcrdukes
09-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Oh by the way,

What will you be using to control the sequential timing and bypass of the supercharger and turbocharger (and vice versa?) :)

I think that'll be a bit of a toughie for you.

bmeier
09-27-2004, 06:01 PM
how much are you looking to spend for the turbo manifold??
and what size turbo are you wanting to use. i know of 2 manifolds one uses a t25/t28 and the other a t3

bcrdukes
09-27-2004, 06:19 PM
^
I'm looking for a T25 manifold :)

MR.TWO
09-28-2004, 09:50 AM
i have been doing my homework and i found out that hks makes a twincharging kit for the 4agze

here what i have found...
The Super Charger has 145HP(8,0:1) or 165HP(8,9:1comp), also here is the home market the lucky one with the NICEST 165HP and US with the cat. has "only" 145HP edition. The engine has allot of upgrade possibilities and from HKS you can get oversize crankshaft pulley, stroker kit and Twin charger turbo kit. I have hear that this can give you 400HP but I don't know it is truth. The internal different between 4A-GE and the SC are the block has been strengthened, dished forged pistons, increased connecting rod journal diameter from 40 to 42mm and the piston pin diameter are changed from 18mm to 20mm.
also if you guys want you can check out http://www2.msstate.edu/~sgn1/MR2/mkimod.htm
this website has some sick mr2 you can also check out http://home.c2i.net/tbhoff/Car-site/MR2/Engine/Engines.htm

so i have come to the conclusion that it would be better to get a 4agze and twin it than to get a 20 valve and turbo i would still like you guys opinion cuz i still have a couple of weeks befor i make my mind and thanks for all you help :)

bcrdukes
09-28-2004, 10:42 AM
^
HKS discontinued the Twincharged kit since 1990. They don't make it anymore and will not make it anymore.

Did you know the kit costed somewhere near $6000USD when it first came out? :tongue:

Oh, also, the 4A-GZE pistons are only semi-forged. The twincharged kit puts out an average of 350hp.

The 165hp engine is the JDM MAP based system.

I'd personally turbo the 4A-GZE or the 20v 4A-GE. This twincharging kit is too much of a headache. :)

Turbocharging is a lot easier and simpler and allows more room for customization. You can achieve the same amount of power with just a turbocharger, cams, upgraded wastegate, fuel pressure regulator, and some fuel management.

Then again, if you're able to carry out this project, that'd be awesome. :)

bcrdukes
09-28-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm actually ripping my engine out next month for a nice rebuild and turbo conversion. :)

There's a guy on MR2OC.com who pulled 350whp (that's about 420hp) with just a T3/4 hybrid, HKS 256 and 272 cams and stock crank with Megasquirt EFI controller. :)

That setup costed more than half of the twincharge kit. Pretty cool, huh?:thumbsup:

MR.TWO
09-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by bcrdukes
^
HKS discontinued the Twincharged kit since 1990. They don't make it anymore and will not make it anymore.

Did you know the kit costed somewhere near $6000USD when it first came out? :tongue:

Oh, also, the 4A-GZE pistons are only semi-forged. The twincharged kit puts out an average of 350hp.

The 165hp engine is the JDM MAP based system.

I'd personally turbo the 4A-GZE or the 20v 4A-GE. This twincharging kit is too much of a headache. :)

Turbocharging is a lot easier and simpler and allows more room for customization. You can achieve the same amount of power with just a turbocharger, cams, upgraded wastegate, fuel pressure regulator, and some fuel management.

Then again, if you're able to carry out this project, that'd be awesome. :)

so you think i should turbo the 20 valve or twin the 4agze? do you know where you can find a twincharging kit??????

three.eighteen.
09-28-2004, 01:19 PM
all twincharged setups are custom now, if i were you i would turbo the gze block, strong block/internals and ready for boost, twincharging is just a cool thing to have whereas a high boost turbo gze can make just as much power and probably more reliably

finboy
09-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
all twincharged setups are custom now, if i were you i would turbo the gze block, strong block/internals and ready for boost, twincharging is just a cool thing to have whereas a high boost turbo gze can make just as much power and probably more reliably

:werd:

there was/is a twin charged ae-86 on this site, you might want to try and find out more about that car if you REALLY want to twin charge your car

bcrdukes
09-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by MR.TWO

so you think i should turbo the 20 valve or twin the 4agze? do you know where you can find a twincharging kit??????

Well, if you already have a 4A-GZE, just use that. No need to buy a 20v 4A-GE. :)

You can't find the twincharge kit anymore. Like somebody just said earlier, its all custom and beleive me, it's a nightmare. ;)

Go with a turbo. Saves you the headache and time...oh and money. :D

MR.TWO
09-30-2004, 08:52 AM
i have a 4age engin in my car right now 300 000 km and still running strong but i am scared that its going to die so i am going to swap. so ithink the twincharging is out of the question but do i get the gze or the 20 valve i going to turbo...

bcrdukes thanks for all the help i was wondering if i could be their when you start to rebuild your engin?

Mr2boy
10-01-2004, 02:05 AM
I am doing the twincharge kit myself this winter and upcoming spring. I have almost all the parts already. They only costed me about 1000 so far with probably another 7-800 more left to go. I already have a gze and an SDS engine management system installed so that will cut my cost a fair bit. My setup will have no bypass, the turbo goes straight into the sc. THe bypass method would give morepower on the topend but trying to get that to run right would be a pain. I have talked to another guy who has done the exact same setup with the same turbo as me and he said his was awesome. You can read up on my conversations with the guy on twincam.com/forums, go into the toyota engine and gearbox section and search for twincharge, the topic with the ct26 turbo is mine. If my setup works well, I might be willing to duplicate all the parts next spring for someone esle.

The main parts needed are the

- ct 26 turbo from 87 - 91 supra turbo or 91-95 mr2 turbo $500
- blow off valve, I'm using one off a talon $50
- external wastegate, im probably trying a tial 38mm, $350
- exhaust manifold, if my custom exhaust manifold works than all
you need is your stock one with some welding done. $200
approx
- if your planning on using more than 15psi boost than used
supra or mr2 injectors. $ 150
- maybe a better intercooler, I'm using one off a talon
- and probably $500 for oil and water lines, fittings and misc
exhaust and intake tubing.

These aren't the prices I paid, but the prices you should be able to get them for.

If you want to run more than 14-15psi you have to upgrade the computer from what I've heard. The SDS system is approx 1400 and is built and sold in calgary. You might get away with a piggyback though. But that would probably be half the price of a standalone system.

Another option would be get a gze and take the sc off and put your stock NA intake manifold on and turbo it. then you could run 14psi and not change the stock gze computer or injectors and probaly run the same power as the twincharge kit at 18psi, but with a little more lag, depending on the turbo though. This is supposed to be the way to go from what i've heard, but I have the parts for mine so I figured I'd try it for the lowend boost and the cool factor. If it doesn't work then I will just take the sc off and run the turbo direct since I would have the turbo already installed.

I know this is alot of stuff to read but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in(maybe 2 bucks in my case!)

Good luck with whatever you do, and If you have any questions let me know.

bcrdukes
10-03-2004, 05:48 PM
i have a 4age engin in my car right now 300 000 km and still running strong but i am scared that its going to die so i am going to swap. so ithink the twincharging is out of the question but do i get the gze or the 20 valve i going to turbo...

bcrdukes thanks for all the help i was wondering if i could be their when you start to rebuild your engin?

Wow!

So you're going to come over to Vancouver just to watch me take out my engine, rebuild it and put it back in?

I'm honoured. :D

MR2Boy - How are you going to control the by-pass and shut-off of the supercharger and have the turbo kick in?

bcrdukes
10-03-2004, 05:53 PM

How is your 4A-GE going to die?

I find it hard for a 4A-GE to "die." The internals would be fine. It's just a matter of the gaskets and whatnot.

These engines were built to last and to perform. The last thing is for this motor to die and that's rare. If you feel that's the case, I'd totally rebuild it.

If you've got a 4A-GE, I'd stick with that engine. Finding a 4A-GZE or 20v 4A-GE and putting it in your NA MR2 is a pain in the ass (unless you're 110% into DIY.)

Stick with the 4A-GE, rebuild it to low compression and turbocharge it. Do the whole thing at once. You won't regret it.

Mr2boy
10-04-2004, 02:02 AM
I dont plan on having a bypass or shutting off the sc. I know that would be the best way to do it but you are right, that is supposed to be a pain in the ass to figure out. I am just running the turbo straight into the sc, plumbing the turbo as if the sc wasn't there. You just set the wastegate to a certain pressure and the turbo will vary its output to make the boost you want. Apparently the turbo doesn't provide much boost as it only makes the sc more efficient by giving it access to more air without having to strain to get it. THe guy who did the same setup said his intake temps went way down after the conversion because of this. Most people say the twincharge kit is hard to do, but most of them haven't tried it, Or if they have they probably tried to do the bypass method. I have talked with a few guys who have done it the other way and love it. So if it doesn't work than everybody else was right and I was wrong, but what the hell, it will be fun to try.

bcrdukes
10-04-2004, 10:49 AM
^
If you don't bypass it, your chances of having your motor blow up is a lot more higher and it definately puts a lot more stress on the engine internals. Not to mention, your turbo is going to have a personal vendetta against you for a long time. :D

Mr2boy
10-04-2004, 12:45 PM
I dont understand how if I dont bypass, it would cause more stress on the internals. The inside of the engine doesn't know where the boost is coming from. If it gets 18psi from a turbo alone or from the 2 together. Boost is boost, shouldn't matter where it comes from. If I took off the SC and ran turbo alone at 18psi, the engine wouldn't know the difference, still the same amount of air and pressure. Maybe I'm missing something, not sure. I read about a guy in australia doing the same setup on some of his cars and he recommended it to everyone, He also used toyota Superchargers on his projects with great success. And with the turbo, the guy who ran the same turbo on the same engine said his ran for years before he sold it.

Let me know if I am overlooking something.

bcrdukes
10-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Well, if your supercharger and turbocharger are both intermittently running at the same time, your supercharger is constantly blowing a crap load of compressed air straight into your turbo. Your turbo is going to wear down a lot faster because, well, compressed air is ...pretty well packed in.

Compressed air gets pretty damn hot and it hurts. That's what intercoolers are for. :)

Mr2boy
10-04-2004, 04:33 PM
I see what you mean if I was to blow the sc into the turbo, that would create alot of heat on the turbo. But in my setup the supercharger will be blowing into the intercooler then straight into the motor, like normal. The turbo will be pushing air into the sc. The Hks system used to blow the turbo into the sc also until the boost was the same between the turbo and the sc, then it would switch the sc off and bypass the sc, so the sc can take the small amount of boost the turbo will provide. For how long I dont know, But the other guy ran his for a few years with no problems.
I thought the first thing I would blow would be the SC. But if the sc lasts a while before it blows I may put another sc on again, depending on price. Or maybe just take the SC out altogether and go turbo since it will be mostly plumbed already.

Also I have 2 intercoolers, the stock gze 1 which I was going to run between the turbo and sc and a custom air - water intercooler after the sc. I was told my intake temps would drop dramatically without changing anything as the sc would be more efficient and not create so much heat. Well it did for the other guy anyhow. But I want to be sure so I am gonna run 2 intercoolers.

You may be right and I may blow alot of stuff, but then you can laugh at me while I have to drive my winter beater till its fixed.

:nut:

bcrdukes
10-04-2004, 05:47 PM
^
Nothing to laugh at. :tongue:

I drive a beater Cressida daily. The MR2 is just for the weekend and autocross. :)

I'd like to see how this would turn out.