PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Quotas?

ninspeed
11-15-2002, 12:08 PM
Hey guys,

I was reading The Sun today and there is an article about the possibility of ticket quotas being thrown out the window if Bronco get his way but the Cop Boss (head of their union) is giving him quite the rough time about it telling him to back off and worry about the city's real problems blah blah blah... Anyone have any read the article? If so, what's your opinion on it? Do you guys think it would be better or worse if the cops didn't have quota's to meet?

Melinda

P.S. I had no idea it was only 20 tickets a month that the cops had to give out, I thought it was a lot more then that :dunno:

infamous
11-15-2002, 12:37 PM
if you want more info on the subject, you can go to www.noquotas.ca and it has the police side view of it!

Ben
11-15-2002, 12:47 PM
LOL, 87% of Calgarians say there shouldn't be Quotas, LOL

infamous
11-15-2002, 12:48 PM
yeah...i am part of that 87%...i don't think that the police should pull everyone over for little shit...

rage2
11-15-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Benny
LOL, 87% of Calgarians say there shouldn't be Quotas, LOL

That's cuz I voted like 1000x :D.

Ferio_vti
11-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Can someone say Communism??

Ben
11-15-2002, 01:00 PM
hahaha, yeah, Thats probably why I got that bogus ticket back in august for honking my horn...remember that POS, and thats probably why I got off so easy when I fought it, cause the Prosecuter thought it was ass as well!

B17a
11-15-2002, 01:04 PM
Some cops in an article I read said they'd much rather give out 10 "quality" tickets a month than write 20 BS tickets, of which maybe only 10 will stand up in court.

GreenLude
11-15-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by B17a
Some cops in an article I read said they'd much rather give out 10 "quality" tickets a month than write 20 BS tickets, of which maybe only 10 will stand up in court.
I would rather have that also so you don't get a cop that pulls you over and picks apart your car to reach his/her quota.

finboy
11-15-2002, 02:53 PM
20 a month for regular cops.

i heard traffic cops (radar guys) need 20 a day.

Fuji
11-15-2002, 02:56 PM
I think they should go catch thieving bastards and go rogue cop, kicking punk thief ass all over the place.

92 Teg-B18A
11-15-2002, 03:11 PM
quota's shouldn't exist, that's why I got pulled over for going "27" over the speed limit in a 50 zone. When my car from where I was stopped at can barely make it to 77 where the cop would have clocked me. It was near the end of the month too!

ninjak84
11-15-2002, 03:42 PM
I hear ya 92teg...
I got a completely BS ticket in Sundance for doing 25 over, when I wasn't speeding. The officer told me if I would contest it, he wouldn't show up in court. I asked why give it to me in the first place, he said " Cause it's the end of the month, and I need the tickets."
Court date is set, guess I'll wait and see.. :rolleyes:

Stratus_Power
11-15-2002, 03:49 PM
that % is sooo not accurate.. only so many ppl happens to go to that website, only so many of them happens to actually look at the poll, only so many of them actually takes the time and vote. And the people voting are already biased or else they wont go to that website..

but I say No quote too! :thumbsup:

Mikko
11-15-2002, 03:50 PM
Quotas seem to be a ridiculus attempt to keep cops working and getting money for the department. I assume the cops get some kind of punishment if they don't reach up to the quotas? Sounds like a BS system. How about them getting a bonus for catching poeple that holds up in court?

What are the pro's of having a quota system anyway? I'm fairly sure swedish cops don't have quota systems. They have Volvo V70 wagons btw :thumbsup:

5gluder
11-15-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Mikko
What are the pro's of having a quota system anyway?

How else do you think the cops get funding for donuts.

Mikko
11-15-2002, 04:20 PM
As many of their cases are not thrown out - and that they do catch real people having done criminal things, I don't think they'd get a lot less funding anyway.. hmm.. I guess it's mostly a system to motivate them to actually enforce laws. "Fill up this quota or you don't get a bonus - or get fired"

szw
11-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Well the police argument is that its not a quota, they call it something else...just to make sure the officers are doing their job. They figure that number of tickets per month is on average, what they should be doing.

of course that is just their argument, I still do not think it should exist. Wonder if it would make a big difference? Remember when the 'back the blue' campaign started and they stopped writing little tickets? I don't remember the actual numbers, but the money they 'lost' during that time was impressive!

GP_DrIvEr
11-15-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder

How else do you think the cops get funding for donuts.

cops get free food at tim hortons :rolleyes: