PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Plans

bol
11-15-2002, 04:49 PM
My cellphone contract with Rogers is up in a week here and I'm eager to get rid of this POS Nokia 3360...

Who's got the best deal going right now?

I don't mind Rogers all that much, as long as the next phone I buy has waay better reception than this pos 3360. My last motorola had so much more range than this peice of crap

I don't want to spend more then $60 a month this time around.

Ben
11-15-2002, 04:52 PM
how much do you use your phone? Do you want free eve and weekends? do you want voice mail, call display?

WHat are you looking for in a cellphone, that will better guage the plans from each compnay, as ome have better for somethings and some have better for others.

bol
11-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Ideally:

300 weekday minutes
unlimited evenings and weekends

voice mail is a definatly plus although not needed, as is call display, a plus, but i'm not going to pay extra for it

cellphone wise i want a flip out, I miss my old motorola timeport, i like the v60 a lot, although it's a little pricey.

got M
11-15-2002, 05:02 PM
:guns: ROGERS
its hardly the phone, the service is :thumbsdow
they are better for rates but they drop calls like a mofo

Stratus_Power
11-15-2002, 05:09 PM
keep going w/ Rogers and keep the plan!! or they are going to charge you by the minutes! not sec!!!

But a good flip phone right now is the samsung one by Telus that just just came out. Or theLG one too, extremely good for its price.. but charge by the min...:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

HRD2PLZ
11-15-2002, 07:30 PM
Telus is all billed my the minute too...Unless you are on an existing contract. I think they switched a few months from per second. If network is fairly important, check out Telus, they have the best network. I don't have a book with all the plans with me, but when my other phone was up for renewal I got a book with like 9 or 10 different service plans in it.

I also remember reading somewhere that the small voicemail box (3 whopping messages) is included for new telus plans.

bksze
11-15-2002, 08:42 PM
depends on your need of the phone, to break it down, rogers/fido has the best phones and will continue to have the best phones for awhile as they operate on gSM, ie the v70, t68i, some pretty neat phones but the drawback is the service is a bitch . . . not only outside of the city but you get lots of dropped calls in the city too, ie edgemont, rogers just adopted the GSM service and in time their service will expand nation wide, as far as I know right now, GSM is offered in all cities and select communities, like banff has service in the townsite but 2 minutes out, you're cut, i love being able to change different phones just by switching sim cards and also rogers has phones that can be used worldwide . . . telus/bell on the other hand have good service throughout but imo, their phones suck ass, just not as cool to use and very cheap in terms of quality . . . but some good features too, bell has the unlimited weekend long distance for $5/month which is awesome if you talk long distance . . . all in all, it's up to you on what you're going for, one word of advice, unless you're the type to not care abotu technology and having the newest phone and stuff, dont' sign up on anything longer than a year

Hollywood
11-15-2002, 09:25 PM
Actually through a study Bell mobility has the least amount of dropped calls by far and has the most advanced setup network in canada.

Stratus_Power
11-15-2002, 09:47 PM
Roger's signal can get pretty shitty, when my mom came to U of A campus last Fri, she had no signal what so ever on her 8390 even when she's outside..

Dope Dealer
11-16-2002, 12:49 AM
I saw a nice phone the other day....

Apparently it's a bell, but it's a flip phone and has a bright bright blue LCD screen w/ back lit blue buttons.

You can't miss it, so bright even in day light.

I really want to know what that phone is. So pimp ;)

RickDaTuner
11-16-2002, 12:53 AM
ive never had bad reception problems with my Nokia 3360, dam its never droped a call, and when signal get low it just switches to analoge.. dont all nokia 3360 have this?

rogers is alright, i havent delt with any other phone companys so i wouldnt really know

if you want there plans and rates just go to www.rogers.ca

ninjak84
11-16-2002, 01:09 AM
I pay $20 a month.
-100 weekday minutes.
-free evenings and weekends.

Works for me, being a student I dont even use my weekday minutes hardly.

M68KACIA
11-16-2002, 01:14 AM
hey ninjak84, is that roger plan???

ninjak84
11-16-2002, 01:18 AM
Nope, Telus.

M68KACIA
11-16-2002, 01:23 AM
is that an old plan or something?

I can't find that in the telus mobility page.

Stratus_Power
11-16-2002, 01:47 AM
im w/ Telus..
using the "big Deal" or watever its call
25 a month including 100 weekdays and unlimited weekends... ..

ninjak84
11-16-2002, 01:52 AM
Hmm...
It isn't really an odd plan, but I've been on it for about a year, so maybe they don't offer it anymore...?

kenny
11-16-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by bol
Ideally:

300 weekday minutes
unlimited evenings and weekends

voice mail is a definatly plus although not needed, as is call display, a plus, but i'm not going to pay extra for it

cellphone wise i want a flip out, I miss my old motorola timeport, i like the v60 a lot, although it's a little pricey.

You could pick up a v60 GSM version off ebay for pretty cheap and use fido on their $45/month plan which includes 300 weekday minutes, 1000 weekend minutes (pretty much unlimited as it is per second), call waiting, call forwarding, conference calling, internet access, all billed by the second starting right away (not just after the first minute).

OR

you could get an unlocked CDMA version of the v60 and use it on a month to month contract on Bell or Telus both of which will give you excellent coverage

On telus the closest month to month non contract plan that meets your need would be the Talk 50 for $50/month which includes 500 weekday minutes, voicemail, call waiting and conference calling. Unlimited evenings and weekends costs an extra $25 though.

Fido offers more value, but I would check how coverage is in the areas you frequent. In outerlying areas coverage is not too great when you go into the basement. Telus costs a bit more for what you want, but their coverage is excellent both in the city and while on the highways.

If you plan on using your phone primarily in the city then coverage should be acceptable. I have no trouble on Fido with my 8390, but on my v70 coverage is a bit shaky when I go into Woodbine.

Sign up for fido and try it out for 15 days, you can get 100% refund no questions asked allowing you to test out their network.

Weapon_R
11-16-2002, 04:57 AM
Rogers has a plan where you pay $45/month and you get Unlimited Evenings and Weekends, and 300 weekday mins. Not a bad deal, since you already have the phone and don't have to pay for an activation fee.

With telus, you'd have to:

Buy a new phone
Sign a new contract
Pay the activation

It might work better for you to stay where you are!

James
11-16-2002, 05:05 AM
The only times i get bad reception is when im in basements, im with Telus, I pay $35 a month voicemail,caller ID, Free evening/weekends and 50 anytime minutes, except i go over that usually, i normally pay $50/month:banghead:

RickDaTuner
11-16-2002, 06:49 AM
anyone wanna hook me up with a nokia 7210

infamous
11-16-2002, 09:50 AM
hey kenny, what was that phone that you had at the bbq??? that was the :bigpimp: est phone i have ever seen!!! i want that but i hear that they are like 500 bux....damn i wish that i was a high roller :(

ancient
11-16-2002, 10:12 AM
I didnt' read through all the posts here, so this may have been mentioned but..... Bell service uses all the telus towers, and has the same coverage. Only difference between them is their plans and phones.

I work at Future Shop.....

Stratus_Power
11-16-2002, 12:26 PM
The t68i w/ Rogers is sweet! not a bad price if you dont mind the contract!. the v70 price also came down a bit!. But if you want to go with Telus, for some reason Cell city in china town sell some of the phone cheaper than the telus website/store. I got my LG 1year for 149, when it was 199 everywhere in Chinook and on their website

Ben
11-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by ancient
I didnt' read through all the posts here, so this may have been mentioned but..... Bell service uses all the telus towers, and has the same coverage. Only difference between them is their plans and phones.

I work at Future Shop.....

And down east this is much the opposite, Telus and Bell are sharing alot of infrastructure, And Verison in the US is a large counterpart with telus, sharing info. We gave them DSL tech for systems tech. Its rather amusing to see how much better Canadians have it in regards to broadband than Americans...AOL = :thumbsdow

bksze
11-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by kenny

If you plan on using your phone primarily in the city then coverage should be acceptable. I have no trouble on Fido with my 8390, but on my v70 coverage is a bit shaky when I go into Woodbine.

really??? i find my v70 is a lot better than my 8390, actually coverage wise was similar, but with the 8390, i dropped alot more calls . . . of course i am with rogers although i assumed that rogers and fido are sharing gsm towers . . .

kenny
11-16-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by ancient

Bell Mobility has their own cell sites, but yes you are correct they have an agreement with Telus to share their cell sites, in poor coverage areas calls may be handed off to each other's cell sites for better coverage.

If only Rogers and Fido would sign an agreement on their GSM network, they would both benefit as Fido has way better inner city coverage than Rogers, and Rogers has much wider coverage.

Originally posted by bksze

really??? i find my v70 is a lot better than my 8390, actually coverage wise was similar, but with the 8390, i dropped alot more calls . . . of course i am with rogers although i assumed that rogers and fido are sharing gsm towers . . .

Rogers and Fido do not get along, so yeah they share towers with each other as the CRTC has forced the cell phone providers to share towers whenever possible to reduce the number of towers, they do not however share their networks as Telus and Bell do.