PDA

View Full Version : Ford/Jaguar Pull out of F1

hjr
09-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Seems that the sport is too expensive to be running at the back of the pack...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/3665810.stm

ninjak84
09-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Wow! I haven't been watching that close, but I didn't see it coming...... I thought they'd be in it for a while. Or at least Toyota would pull out before them. The wierd part is that the article hinted abut Ford's WRC team having some uncertainty as well.....

:confused:

hjr
09-17-2004, 06:16 PM
ford listed its WRC team as being on the block to divert funds to their F1 adventures. This is the opposite of what was expected to happen which means that the future of ford wrc is totally up in the air.

BigMass
09-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Ford/Red Bull car in the near future i bet

civic_stylez
09-17-2004, 10:09 PM
i cant believe that..... i know that the ford cosworth motors arent the fastest ones on the grid but junior teams like minardi and jordan have no motors and cant really afford the ferrari spec engines and gearboxes like sauber.. personally i think its a shame....:thumbsdow

fast95pony
09-18-2004, 12:17 AM
It's a sad day... :(

SpoonPimp
09-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Ford sucks!!!! go Ferrari!!!! and Bmw Williams!!!!

iceburns288
09-18-2004, 05:50 AM
Go Ferrari and BMW just doesn't work in once sentence... or post. Or lifetime, for that matter.:nut:

Ford already fired part of the WRC team, including one driver.:drama:

EDIT BTW, good news! Ferrari, BMW, McLaren, and Toyota might create their own racing series... but it will probably be the end of F1 thanks to Bernie, who only lets teams keep about 40 percent of their profits!:eek:

BigMass
09-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Dont forget that up until this year, Ford was the most winning engine in the history of F1. Dont diss Ford, they’ll be back.

hyperwhite
09-18-2004, 07:31 PM
i just find it amazing that with all of their resources they couldn't come up with a competitive package. buit then again if it isn't driving in circles ford really doesn't care

BigMass
09-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by hyperwhite
i just find it amazing that with all of their resources they couldn't come up with a competitive package. buit then again if it isn't driving in circles ford really doesn't care

Thats the problem. It's not a question of whether Ford can build a winning car, it's question of whether they care enough about F1 anymore.

JAYMEZ
09-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Ford is smart , BMW and Ferrari have been beatin them way to much , they couldnt be making that much money on F1... but then again , i dont think they could win much with WRC :D

Maybe they should be putting money back into Ford so peoples cars dont blow up .

BigMass
09-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Ford is smart , BMW and Ferrari have been beatin them way to much , they couldnt be making that much money on F1... but then again , i dont think they could win much with WRC :D

Maybe they should be putting money back into Ford so peoples cars dont blow up .

What they need to do start selling the cars they race. Whats the point of winning WRC with a Focus RS that you can't even buy in North America?

Also Ferrari sells hyper sports cars so their results in F1 translate into sales. Who the hell is going to buy a Ford Tempo based on Fords results in F1? Start building some cars people actually want to drive outside of trucks and SUVs.

Xtrema
09-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Jaguar is losing $100M/month. Just close a plant and about to lay off 2000 staff. Doesn't sound like someone who can afford an F1 program.

hyperwhite
09-25-2004, 11:19 PM
anyone hear about Brafasco possibly buying the jaguar team? a canadian F1 team would kickass!

fast95pony
09-26-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

Who the hell is going to buy a Ford Tempo based on Fords results in F1? Start building some cars people actually want to drive outside of trucks and SUVs.

Who the hell is going to buy a Civic or Echo based on Honda/Toyota's results in F1 ??

BTW Ford stopped selling Tempo's in 1994 ......

NASCRAP doesn't make much sense though....
Just try and buy a carburated RWD Taurus/Intrepid/Monte Carlo ..
I guess the rednecks don't understand that...

hjr
09-26-2004, 07:46 PM
the racing is about exposure, not about selling individual cars

Roxer
10-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Ford was recently seen testing their new car.

So yeah.

Roxer
10-11-2004, 05:30 PM
and when tobacco sponsorship is cut it will suck

Williams will be ok, since a large sponsor it a stop-smoking assitant