PDA

View Full Version : 4 all time.....neutral.....4 low?????

MK3HKS
09-17-2004, 07:14 PM
i recently bought a 93 grand cherokee 5.2L limited edition and it has 4 all time....neutral....4 low but i tryed to put it in and it makes a grinding noise that sounds really bad:dunno:

i have no experience with this kinda shit... so does any1 know when i can put it in any of those without making the noise???does it have to be in park or neutral or when its rolling in drive???
and i dont want to experiment because i dont wanna fuck up anything

;)

thnx for any help:thumbsup:

CalgarySS
09-17-2004, 07:32 PM
The system that your truck has is not a shift on the fly setup. Put the vehicle in park/neutral and shift into 4 low.

Just don't use 4 low on anything other than snow or mud.

MK3HKS
09-17-2004, 08:22 PM
so it shouldnt grind when its in park or neutral??
thnx, ill try that;) :thumbsup:

SpeedyZ
09-17-2004, 09:11 PM
For 4-Low it should be in neutral at a complete stop

5.9 R/T
09-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Yes, it will still grind. Every 93-95 JGC I tested that was awd did the same thing switching between high and low. Even the brand new TC that I had to install on my old 93 GC did the same thing. That is the nature of that specific TC. Just do the change as fast as possible to minimize grinding.

Moe Man
09-18-2004, 05:32 PM
you are all wrong just.............. just switch it when the jeep is turned off, this might take a few tries to get it in 4 low, if it doesnt work put it in neutral and let it roll a bit just so the gears shim together :thumbsup:

CalgarySS
09-18-2004, 07:30 PM
My recommendation is to ask this question on a 4x4 board. Most people that will reply here, have most likely never driven a 4x4.

5.9 R/T
09-19-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man
you are all wrong just.............. just switch it when the jeep is turned off, this might take a few tries to get it in 4 low, if it doesnt work put it in neutral and let it roll a bit just so the gears shim together :thumbsup:

I don't know if you have ever owned one but no where in the owners manual does it say that the jeep has to be switched off. Switching from high to low requires the vehicle to be completely stopped, and from low to high IIRC under 5 or 10 kph. It says something along the lines of "when switching the transfer case pull the lever swiftly with no pause in the neutral position."

MK3HKS
09-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

I don't know if you have ever owned one but no where in the owners manual does it say that the jeep has to be switched off. Switching from high to low requires the vehicle to be completely stopped, and from low to high IIRC under 5 or 10 kph. It says something along the lines of "when switching the transfer case pull the lever swiftly with no pause in the neutral position."

he owns a 60th anniversary edition Jeep grand cherokee limited v8;)

but yea...ill give that a try too...thnx:thumbsup:

CelicaST-162
09-19-2004, 01:47 AM
It's so much simpler with a manual tranny:angel: I still though need to be at a full stop or moving really really slow to engage 4L

Moe Man
09-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

lol the owners manual....... i am telling him to do this so it wont grind. older jeep have a tendency to grind when shifting to LOW. this is a way to stop that from happening :thumbsup: