PDA

View Full Version : New Blizzaks.

James
11-16-2002, 02:52 AM
Since i Trashed my Winter Beater, i had to get some Better Tires for the MR2, i got Some Blizzaks the other Day( on the Rear Tires), and Since all the Snow is gone now i dont know how they perform yet, but they SUCK ASS on Perfect dry pavement!!:thumbsdow , Anthing over 70-80km/h feels like im driving a Truck when i go to Change Lanes, its horrible, there is so much Body roll its unbeleivable, its actually Scary over 110, it pisses me off!:( ......Is there anything i Can do, or is this normal, and im gonna have to live with it?..Thanks.

SilverRex
11-16-2002, 03:17 AM
welp I have some shitty nordic icetrac for my car.. all 4 wintires and yes on pavement it sucks ass.. wobbles.. really less grip.. after all its called winter tires.. not summer...

:confused:

James
11-16-2002, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
welp I have some shitty nordic icetrac for my car.. all 4 wintires and yes on pavement it sucks ass.. wobbles.. really less grip.. after all its called winter tires.. not summer...

:confused:

I kinda figured someone would say that:tongue:...i know there winter tires, but i would think that it shouldn't feel THIS unsafe :dunno:...Does anyone think that the problem is that i only have them on the Rear, and not all 4's?:confused:

SilverRex
11-16-2002, 03:46 AM
hmm I wouldnt know anymore than you do, as this is my first time with the winter tires put on all 4 wheels.. I figure if you had all 4 on, it would probablly be even worse grip on dry roads

szw
11-16-2002, 04:04 AM
NO idea, my alpines feel fine on dry road.

But it is a good idea to get all four winter tires.

del-lude
11-16-2002, 04:54 AM
Blizzaks are designed to to be used in sets of four and not to be combined with other tires.
Try having blizzaks all around and your ride will be much better.
It's pretty dangerous having just two, buy two more and possibly save yourself from an accident.
Just a thought......

James
11-16-2002, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by del-lude
Blizzaks are designed to to be used in sets of four and not to be combined with other tires.
Try having blizzaks all around and your ride will be much better.
It's pretty dangerous having just two, buy two more and possibly save yourself from an accident.
Just a thought......

Thanks...The only Reason i only Bought 2 was Cuz im broke at the moment and could only afford 2!! i'll get the other 2 as soon as i can........are you SURE that is what the problem is??:dunno: obviously its hard to tell seeing as its my car, but:tongue: I just dont want to buy 2 more and still have the crazy unsafe wobbly feeling.:nut:

Ben
11-16-2002, 09:18 AM
Blizzaks are overrated! They way you drive james you will have them beat down in no time, go talk to rob from Tunerworks, they have some awesome deals on Hankooks and Dunlops, which are far more practical in the city where the roads are dry 85% of the time anyways.

James
11-16-2002, 09:28 AM
Benny-What do u suppose i do now that i already have 2 blizzaks on the Car?:confused:

James
11-16-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Benny
Blizzaks are overrated! They way you drive james you will have them beat down in no time, go talk to rob from Tunerworks, they have some awesome deals on Hankooks and Dunlops, which are far more practical in the city where the roads are dry 85% of the time anyways.

I will also be doing alot of driving out in the Country where the Roads arnt as great as they are here in the City, plus i get a Discount at Sears anyway, where i got my Blizzaks.

Ben
11-16-2002, 10:11 AM
okay, just letting you know. I didn't think you drove regularly to rubberboot alberta, blizzaks wear horribly on dry road so for that reason I feel they are not worth thet hype they recieve unless you are on snow a good 3/4 of the time. They are the best for grip thats for sure, but I would trade a bit of grip (were talking a few small points here between tires) for longer durability.

What should you do with the two you have now? buy two more.

Winter tires are far from a performance tire thats for sure, the body roll is to be expected as winter tires often have softer side walls to put more of the actual tire its self on the road for grip purposes. In this case, I would welcome that body roll if it ment better grip...its winter, not LeMans James...I see the way you drive, you have a heavy foot...you'll blow those tires to peices. haha.

There are lots of tires out there. Do I think you bought a great snow tire? absolutely, its an excellent snow and ice tire. Do I think there may have been a better tire for you if vehicle roll and dry pavement are an issue with you? Yeah, I do...Blizzaks have been riding high on thier name fore quite some time now, people often buy them based on the name alone, and alot of manufacturers have very similar tires out there now.

My thoughts ole buddy:werd: :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
11-16-2002, 10:26 AM
...I see the way you drive, you have a heavy foot...you'll blow those tires to peices. haha. :thumbsdow

actually, i need winter tires too and ive been thinking that those super nice blizzaks and artic alpins cost too much for me and will wear out too quickly.

u mentioned hankook and dunlop....whats the "low-down" on these "tires"?

Ben
11-16-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
:thumbsdow

actually, i need winter tires too and ive been thinking that those super nice blizzaks and artic alpins cost too much for me and will wear out too quickly.

u mentioned hankook and dunlop....whats the "low-down" on these "tires"?

Rob at tunerworks quoted me an awesome price on 4 Hankook winters. They look very similar to the Arctic Alpins from Michelin.

Wear way better than the Blizznaks, and not as expensive. THe dunlops were the same situation. It definatly pays to look around. For me, I drive deerfoot every day, the only time I need really good grip is comming out of my comunity, and so for me, I would rather have a tire that would wear better (deerfoot is gonna eat up winters alot quicker than snow will on side streets) and have a slightly less grip aspect...

silvercivicsir
11-16-2002, 11:37 AM
get some wal-mart winter tires.. they are actually not that bad.. and cheap too..

MistaBrent
11-16-2002, 01:33 PM
I am about to go get the dunlops on my car i have them getting put on a 2 today.

the guy says they perform well in the winter and summer too.

He says the police use them.

max_boost
11-16-2002, 02:40 PM
You only got two blizzak tires? Dude, I'm surprised they let you do that! Its a safety thing man! Get all four!:tongue:

Blizzaks are awesome on snow, unbelievable, but on dry pavement it sucks! haha

I guess you lose tread more than any other tire but I plan to keep mine for two winters and thats it so I guess I need not apply:D

CRXguy
11-16-2002, 03:42 PM

Rob at tunerworks quoted me an awesome price on 4 Hankook winters. They look very similar to the Arctic Alpins from Michelin.

Wear way better than the Blizznaks, and not as expensive. THe dunlops were the same situation. It definatly pays to look around. For me, I drive deerfoot every day, the only time I need really good grip is comming out of my comunity, and so for me, I would rather have a tire that would wear better (deerfoot is gonna eat up winters alot quicker than snow will on side streets) and have a slightly less grip aspect...

:werd:

I have close to 10000km on my Hankook W400's and they still look almost brand new.:eek: But maybe cuz it's only a year old.:tongue:

300rwhp
11-16-2002, 04:14 PM
blizzaks are brutal on dry pavement but they are way ahead of the compettion on the snow and ice. they can make a mustang drive in the winter so they will have no problem with an mr2

SilverStreak
11-16-2002, 10:58 PM
I have Blizzaks on and have no problems in the dry, they are like a performance all seasons. At 140km/h, they are fine still. Then again I have the LM 22s not the WS Blizzaks.

infamous
11-16-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
get some wal-mart winter tires.. they are actually not that bad.. and cheap too..

hey i can get you a 10% discount on wal mart tires :D

if anyone wants some pm me!

James
11-16-2002, 11:57 PM

What should you do with the two you have now? buy two more.

I was referring to if i bought a DIFFERENT kind of Tire :tongue:

Winter tires are far from a performance tire thats for sure, the body roll is to be expected as winter tires often have softer side walls to put more of the actual tire its self on the road for grip purposes. In this case, I would welcome that body roll if it ment better grip...its winter, not LeMans James...I see the way you
drive, you have a heavy foot...you'll blow those tires to peices. haha.

There are lots of tires out there. Do I think you bought a great snow tire? absolutely, its an excellent snow and ice tire. Do I think there may have been a better tire for you if vehicle roll and dry pavement are an issue with you? Yeah, I do...

My thoughts ole buddy:werd: :thumbsup:

I know its Winter man, although when the Roads are nice i like to pretend its LeMans:D,..... i was well aware of how long Blizzaks last, but i figure its worth it for the added traction on Ice/Snow:dunno:....I knew the Winter Tires woudlnt be anywhere near as good as my Summer Tires, but i guess i didnt think it would be this bad, i think im getting more use to it, but its still noticeable, need to get the other 2 tires soon, then i'll see, it BETTER NOT BE WORSE!!..Thanks for the Comments:thumbsup:

Originally posted by SilverStreak
I have Blizzaks on and have no problems in the dry, they are like a performance all seasons. At 140km/h, they are fine still. Then again I have the LM 22s not the WS Blizzaks.

Yeah i have the WS series.

Toms-Celica
11-17-2002, 01:49 AM
We have 5 (yes 5) sets of Blizzacks and we've never had the same problem your having. Get the other two rubbers and you should be fine.

MistaBrent
11-17-2002, 11:18 AM
I got my set of dunlops put on yesterday.

there excellent

James
11-22-2002, 08:04 PM
Got the other 2 Blizzaks put on today, what an improvment! i actually feel safe again driving my car! Compared to the 2 Blizzaks on the Rear only Setup,( and my Summer tires on the fron) this is like night and Day!....Next Time if i can only afford 2 tires at a time, i think i will wait till I can get all 4 till I install them!:tongue:

del-lude
11-22-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by James
Got the other 2 Blizzaks put on today, what an improvment! i actually feel safe again driving my car! Compared to the 2 Blizzaks on the Rear only Setup,( and my Summer tires on the fron) this is like night and Day!....Next Time if i can only afford 2 tires at a time, i think i will wait till I can get all 4 till I install them!:tongue:

Good to here everything turned out good for you.:thumbsup:
Just got my Blizzak Winter Dueler DM-Z2s put on a few days ago and they're working fine so far. Now if we can only get some snow so I can test them out.:burnout: