PDA

View Full Version : Help with lowering

Kirbs17
09-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Im a complete newbie when it comes to modifications for cars, and I was just wondering what would be the best method to lower my car (1999 VW Jetta). Im only looking for maybe a 2 inch (max) drop on my car, just to give it a more aggresive stance.
Thanks guys

-Kirby

GTS Jeff
09-20-2004, 11:52 AM
if u dont care about handling, ride quality, or safety, then the best method is cutting the stock springs.

what exactly do u want other than the look?

@lchy
09-23-2004, 03:53 PM
some people even heat springs while under the cars weight and let em cool, it will give you terrible ride quality, safety and handling but you don't even have to lift the car off the ground. careful not to melt any bushings or barke lines:poosie:

PhatGT
10-14-2004, 09:43 PM
LOOK INTO KONI ADJUSTABLE COILOVERS, THEY ALLOW RIDE HEIGHT ADJUSTABILITIY. I HAD THEM ON MY VWUB THERE SWEET, CORNORS @60MPH+!!!!

DonJuan
10-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by @lchy
some people even heat springs while under the cars weight and let em cool, it will give you terrible ride quality, safety and handling but you don't even have to lift the car off the ground. careful not to melt any bushings or barke lines:poosie:
if you do do this don't heat em up for long as the car drops quickly. I good way is to cut a piece of wood to the height you want the fender to be and use that as a guide. Heat the spring up until the fender sits on the wood... repeat 3 more times. This way it will be sitting fairly even. The better option is cutting your spring... or better than that... just get some cheap ass lowing springs off ebay: from a great company like dropzone... ;) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7927734283&category=33586

sebringLxi_girl
10-22-2004, 07:57 PM
hey be careful though I gotta friend that crushed his hand lowering a truck?!?!??!?!:burnout:

freekstile
10-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Neuspeed makes a kit that lowers the body 1.5". I can get it for ya in a day type thing and it runs you like 361.99. The other way to go would be Coil Overs but they like triple in price for a kit :banghead:

AllGoNoShow
10-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by sebringLxi_girl
hey be careful though I gotta friend that crushed his hand lowering a truck?!?!??!?!:burnout:

that sucks, if you do it right your hand shouldnt be in the way when u lower the car back on the ground, so I dont know what your freind was doing but he wasnt doing it right unless he was tryign to adjust a coilover into position or something, but that still wont crush his hand unless someoen just releases the jack and the truck just drops on the ground with him still working.

Anwyays, I dont recommend cutting/heating, its well worth it and not to expensive just to go buy a set of lowering springs ro coilovers for your car, as mentioned before, ebay is a good place to get cheap ones, or you can search on here for used ones.

bmeier
10-23-2004, 05:00 PM
spend the $200 or 300 it costs for springs and get some decent lowering springs. For the street coilovers are really harsh and chopped springs are a pain sometimes because they fall out of the spring perch...

I have used all 3 options and i think lowering springs are best for the street, I run coilovers on my summer/race car but the ride is pretty stiff.

jaysas_63
10-24-2004, 02:01 PM
i heard that lowering springs fuck up the shocks if not done properly is this true?

AllGoNoShow
10-24-2004, 02:04 PM
if u just stay with the lowering springs and stock struts ur gunan fuck them up and its ugnan suck, if u upgrade ur whole suspension at once, it wont fuck it up as quick.

Skylinelover
10-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Just spend $100 dollars at mcdonalds and you will have a nice 2 inch drop.

Seanith
10-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Just buy some good springs.. I don't see why people would cheap out on such a critical component of the car..

GTS Jeff
10-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
i heard that lowering springs fuck up the shocks if not done properly is this true? basically any springs that are lower than stock, whether cut, heated, cheap, or expensive will mess up oem shocks because the oem shocks are made for a certain height. if u use shorter springs, they are constantly compressed, which means A. theyll blow sooner B. u dont have much compression stroke. the way around this is to A. get aftermarket shocks that can handle more abuse B. get aftermarket shocks that are actually shorter and therefore matched to the springs height. if u want safe handling, its also important to get shocks that are valved properly to handle your springs stiffness, so that it can actually do its job of dampening spring movements.