PDA

View Full Version : when selling a modified car? how much?

rss
09-19-2004, 10:05 PM
We all know it's near impossible to get what you put into an import (ie: honda civic) to make it perform and handle better.

But, why is it that when you put a bodykit,rims, intake,exaust on a otherwise completely stock car, you can usually make $ ?

On the other hand, when you do a motor swap, add forced induction, etc, and make a car that out performs $50K cars, in some aspects. No one will buy it?

Johnny C
09-19-2004, 10:12 PM
You can't make money by adding anything, what are you talking about?!

Kenny_boy
09-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Because when you put that kind of parts on anything, atleast my first thoughts is it has been raced... and when you race stuff gets bagged... that is about the only explanation I can think of for it...

2002civic
ya with a kit an exhaust and intak eit sell sfor the same price usually

max_boost
Depending on the mods, it can increase the value to a certain extent. But if you are expecting to get full value in return, the mods, like the car, will depreciate immediately and even more over time.

Just because a car has mods it's been bagged on? I presume even if it doesn't have mods it's been bagged on. That whole term is subjective, just buy new if you are worried about it.

Chester
09-19-2004, 10:28 PM
I thought by adding mods you lower the value of the car? thats what someone told me but that might have been bullshit:dunno:

statick
09-19-2004, 10:39 PM
i dont think its possible to get more money than u put into the car... unles su hav some kind of crazy hook up or sum sht.

FiveFreshFish
09-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Chester
I thought by adding mods you lower the value of the car? thats what someone told me but that might have been bullshit:dunno:

That's the case with many buyers who want everything stock. It's always best to keep all factory parts and restore to original when you sell. The mods can be sold separately.

rage2
09-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Depends on the mods, but it usually goes something like this:

If the mods are from a very reputable company and done by them, ie RUF for Porsches, it's gonna sell for more than stock.

If they're just bolt on stuff from reputable companies, such as the Renntech kit on benz's, or Mugen stuff on hondas, the cars will sell quicker, and sell for a little more than stock, but not enough to recoup costs of the mods.

If it's something like a backyard turbo kit with zero tuning, it'll be tough to sell even at stock prices. Patience is the key for these cars for both buyers and sellers.

rss
09-19-2004, 10:49 PM
take this car for example.

1991 crx si 2500
body kit and installed 1500
some used rims with tires 1200
cheap paint job, and fiberglass 1000
cheap loud muffler and installed 200

6400 bux so far? great

sold for 11,500 without the rims. sold rims and tires for 1800

over 13K for that stuff. great!

But someone who spends over 20K total can't get a decent amount of $ back? Odd.

max_boost
09-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by rss

1991 crx si 2500

6400 bux so far? great

But someone who spends over 20K total can't get a decent amount of $ back? Odd. Supply and demand perhaps? I've seen 93 Del Sol's go for $20K and my buddy apparently had some guy offering him $25K for his 93 Mr2 turbo! LOL:dunno:

rss
09-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah it sure is crazy! thx for the reply.

I've seen some MR2 turbos go for that much too!

so one offered my relative $26K for his.

403Gemini
09-19-2004, 11:31 PM
max is 100% right, all about supply and demand

you can find stock crx's which sell for 4-6 grand just because peeps want a crx. look at 86 corolla's , 240 sx's. nice cars by all means but not worth what half the people want

rss
09-20-2004, 12:09 AM
true enough.

I still can't comprehend why someone would want a crx with rims,bodykit,exaust over a crx with a motor swap,turbo,engine managment,etcetc, but no bodykit.

statick
09-20-2004, 06:25 AM
some ppl,lots of kids just care bout looks n rice.

GTS Jeff
09-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by rss

1991 crx si 2500

6400 bux so far? great

But someone who spends over 20K total can't get a decent amount of $ back? Odd. im wondering how someone managed to buy a crx for 2500 in the first place.

Kenny_boy
09-20-2004, 12:12 PM
:hitit:

AUCTIONS, thats where, you'd be surprised at the deals you can get there... Trust me, I seen trucks that would go for 9000 at the lowest in a lot going for 5-6K at a Auction... As long as your not scared of doing a little work, that is the best place to get a cheap car, or truck

Gonthro
09-20-2004, 12:18 PM
it all depends on who you market your car to on what price you may get for it...

generally older people liek the car bone stock... they think modifications just make things go wrong... which in some cases if improperly installed they may.... but if you market it to people who have the same intrestes as you and would eventually do all of that stuff to thier car if they were to purchase it from you then they may pay a little more... depends on the buyer.

civicluva
09-20-2004, 12:39 PM
I would personally get a stock car over a modded one. Ones with mods usually are driven like shit (hense the mods). If I bought a car that was modified I would look at the owner first before buying anything. Make sure everything was properly installed/tuned etc.

Half the cars that are modded are usually just body kit, exhaust all the basic bullshit. Then the owner thinks he owns the road and drives it like shit.

Gonthro
09-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by civicluva
I would personally get a stock car over a modded one. Ones with mods usually are driven like shit (hense the mods). If I bought a car that was modified I would look at the owner first before buying anything. Make sure everything was properly installed/tuned etc. :werd: and if you have recipts for all your mods bring professionally installed im sure that would help convince them a lot that its a good car.

88CRX
09-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
im wondering how someone managed to buy a crx for 2500 in the first place.

easy... i cant give mine away for that much

sputnik
09-20-2004, 12:48 PM
It also depends if the mods have been tastefully done. Most people arent interested in having a car that will deafen people from 80ft and is visible from 10km due to the neon green paintjob, underglow and strobe lights.

Also, I would be hesitant to factor in labour charges when adding up the price of the mods unless it was something specific like having the car professionally tuned. Factoring in the labour for having coilovers installed isnt going to help the sale since many people install coilovers and other basic mods on their driveway.

rss
09-20-2004, 12:49 PM
u can find them for that price with some bodywork needed to be done, that's what was done on the car i was reffering to, a CHEAP paint job, and some bodywork that will show in 6 months.