PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Luxury Sport Utility, Need some opinions

Neil4Speed
09-20-2004, 12:02 AM
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about a good car in the Lux Sport Utility Market. Something around 80k, I mean, it can be less of course!

I was looking at the

Infiniti FX45
Lexus RX330
Porchshe Cayanne
(kinda) BMW X5
Cadillac SRX/Escalade

Any other Ideas?

I was also kind of interested in the Merc ML's, until I realized how unreliable/poorly made they are.

Cheers,

Neil

max_boost
09-20-2004, 12:04 AM
All of the above are premium vehicles, I don't see how you can really go wrong with any of them.:bigpimp:

t-im
09-20-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about a good car in the Lux Sport Utility Market. Something around 80k, I mean, it can be less of course!

I was looking at the

Infiniti FX45
Lexus RX330
Porchshe Cayanne
(kinda) BMW X5
Cadillac SRX/Escalade

Any other Ideas?

I was also kind of interested in the Merc ML's, until I realized how unreliable/poorly made they are.

Cheers,

Neil

I know someone who just bought a FX45 and absolutely loves it...great handling and fast...he had an X5 4.4 before and thought it was great, but just wanted something new...he said Cayenne Turbo is hot, fast but not worth 130k, and in comparison Cayenne S was too slow..

Stratus_Power
09-20-2004, 12:35 AM
I say go w/ the FX45.. its faster than a X5 4.6 or a ML55 but 30k less, comes w/ all the toys like rear view camera, hydraulic suspension, etc etc. But the back is pretty cramp and it drives more like a sedan than a SUV.

I think the X5 is getting old, Cayanne is overpriced ( might as well get a Toureg), and I heard the SRX has shit interior quality.

as for the RX330, we got one last year, absolutely loved it. I would avoid the sport package though, we got it, and it really makes the ride alot rougher than the normal one we test drove. but the hyydaulic suspension is pretty sweet, and it corners prety good lowered.

Selika
09-20-2004, 09:41 AM
VW Toureg!:drool:

sputnik
09-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Touareg! :thumbsup:

izzoblitzo
09-20-2004, 10:00 AM
I've never owned a vw before, and to be honest, I think they seem to be pretty good on alot of things. However, I just think when comparing the Porche to the VW, I'd go for the porche. I mean, VW just doesnt sound very 'luxury' when it's compared to the likes of Lexus, Infiniti, and the exotic porche brand.

Like, I dont know about you, but for $141,000, I'd pass over the VW Phaeton for something in the Audi or Mercedes line at the same price range! I'd pay the $60grand for an Audi or Lexus SUV, but not for a VW! Now, the Toureg and Phaeton prolly have some goodies in there that warrant the price tag, but still, driving on the street, nobody but enthusiasts would know that you spent that kind of money on those cars! :whipped:

Stratus_Power
09-20-2004, 10:19 AM
we actually checked out the toureg too, the interior quality is impressive, but the salesman were being a jackass. My dad doesn't delieve that the toureg can do some of the things it claims in the brochure. So he told the salesman if he can proves that it can do watever it was.. going up a 40degrees hill or something, he'll put down a deposite.
And the salesman said he'll only show him it can be done AFTER he put down a deposit for it.

so we ended up passing on the toureg.

But dont buy a car because it looks/sounds bling bling, or you can just skip everything can go str8 to Cayenne haha

1badPT
09-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Hey everyone,

I was looking at the

Infiniti FX45
Lexus RX330
Porchshe Cayanne
(kinda) BMW X5
Cadillac SRX/Escalade

Any other Ideas?

Cheers,

Neil

If you want BIG, Infiniti has the QX56 coming out soon and its based on the massive Nissan Pathfinder Armada - I saw a review of it last night on Autoweek and it looks pretty good. The Touareg is good too - same platform as the Cayenne. Don't forget the Lincoln Navigator and the new Durango. The new Durango while it isn't sold as a Lux SUV, its top trim level can compete with the rest of your list and its beefy enough that if you do some offroading/hauling it will hold up.

DUBBED
09-20-2004, 12:20 PM
The new Range Rover HSE is by far my favorite suv out right now.

Neil4Speed
09-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, I think I might look at an escalade.

ramminghard
09-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

that would be my first choiice too. the interior is incredible.

method
09-26-2004, 03:56 PM
I'd give your freaking head a shake.

think of the cars you could buy for 80k :drool:

get a van and hide it in the garage if you need to haul groceries around. :thumbsup:

turboMiata
09-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

:werd: The RR is the most "pimp", blending superb BMW engineering and Rover offroad experience. This thing is capable whether it is on Rodeo Boulevard or Rubicon. Everything else is just another SUV shitbox.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/g4/313.jpg

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/g4/Image_0.jpg

silky
09-26-2004, 06:45 PM
ummmm in 80k

method
09-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata

:werd: The RR is the most "pimp", blending superb BMW engineering and Rover offroad experience. This thing is capable whether it is on Rodeo Boulevard or Rubicon. Everything else is just another SUV shitbox.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/g4/313.jpg

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/g4/Image_0.jpg

I'll give them that... that's one pimp ass SUV...

land rover has always made some awesome stuff.

Kobe
09-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Lexus RX330 :drool: Soooo sexy...

My first pick...

JordanLotoski
09-26-2004, 10:51 PM
what about the new land rover lr3

ridiculous_
09-26-2004, 11:43 PM
RR is somewhat over 100 grand, 25 ish over the 80 k he said...

but yeah defiantely the RR is the pinnacle

crx62
09-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Yo roll with the cadi guy, no question get the cadi and import some 22" spinners from cali and and put a nice sound system in and u r set for life:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ryder_23
09-27-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by crx62
Yo roll with the cadi guy, no question get the cadi and import some 22" spinners from cali and and put a nice sound system in and u r set for life:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hey everyone, its mr. X to the Z Xzibit :rolleyes:

Neil4speed....whats the purpose of this SUV? like just daily driving? having to get threw highways with alot of snow / ice?

JAYMEZ
09-27-2004, 02:10 AM
Porchshe Cayanne

Done.

crx62
09-27-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23

hey everyone, its mr. X to the Z Xzibit :rolleyes:

Oooooooooooooh yeah, recognize :clap: :clap: :clap:

autoBITCH
09-27-2004, 02:50 AM
WOW.... by your picks...you sound like a baller....

IMO....i'd look into the Acura MDX ... it's just a suggestion..

and i guess SUV's do range a bit higher than normal sedans/coupes....

ondubs
09-27-2004, 11:50 AM
I would like to suggest the Yukon Denali. It's a bit less then the other the SUV's but I think for the cash spent you wont be disapointed.. I ended up getting one this spring and love it. Not to say that I wouldn't like a RR but I don't have a 100k to spend on a ride.

There are a ton of modding options for the Denalis. No matter what you choose I'm sure you'll be happy for sure..

This is my ride so far,

http://suvworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/marc/97390.jpg

turboMiata
09-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
what about the new land rover lr3

Disco III looks promising. It has center and rear lockers, but IFS. Most Disco I and II owners hate it because it's not live axle. we'll have to reserve judgement until it gets here and see. So far, I'd take the G-wagen over the LR3 any day.

Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Porchshe Cayanne

Done.

I have not seen or hear of a Porchshe Cayanne. If you are interested in a gas guzzling 400HP mall crawler, this one might work. No, the land rover is sold separate.

turboMiata
09-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Look at the group of onlookers so impressed by the ability of this vehicle to "offroad" this street bump. Ironic thing is, the Cayenne has available front and rear lockers and quick release swaybars.

T-rus
09-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT

If you want BIG, Infiniti has the QX56 coming out soon and its based on the massive Nissan Pathfinder Armada - I saw a review of it last night on Autoweek and it looks pretty good. The Touareg is good too - same platform as the Cayenne. Don't forget the Lincoln Navigator and the new Durango. The new Durango while it isn't sold as a Lux SUV, its top trim level can compete with the rest of your list and its beefy enough that if you do some offroading/hauling it will hold up.

I say no to the QX56....trust me

nos_spyder
09-27-2004, 03:14 PM
all of those are good.
but jus in case you care the range rover has aweful mileage

ramminghard
09-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by nos_spyder
all of those are good.
but jus in case you care the range rover has aweful mileage

with the choices he has put up i don't think he is too worried about gas mileage. They all get bad mileage and most of them only run on premium.

zer0
09-27-2004, 10:08 PM
HSE.. fuck all of those other choices

NiteRider
09-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard

that would be my first choiice too. the interior is incredible.

too bad they are peices of shit

my buddys rents have two brand new ones, and they hate them
they have both broke down many times, while on the road.
they are not made that well.

range rover is just a status symbol
call me crazy but i would way rather have a car that doesnt break down pm deerfoot, than have my buddies think of me as a pimp driving it

the car is a POS

me? id go for the mercedes G-wagon for that amount of cash

ramminghard
09-27-2004, 11:01 PM
I have heard about problems with the older ones but nothing bad about the new one's.

NiteRider
09-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard
I have heard about problems with the older ones but nothing bad about the new one's.
these are the brand new ones

turboMiata
09-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by NiteRider

these are the brand new ones

It's true. The british ain't that great with making reliable cars. I have the oil puddles on my driveway to prove it. But I still won't trade my pig for anything else (except a diesel G-Wagen, not the AMG shit). Go buy the Cadillac.

http://www.thelandroverchronicle.com/new_pa2152.gif

jjjheimer
10-06-2004, 09:22 PM
LR Discos are for chicks. RRs are for smack using gangstas. My suggestion:
TRD supercharged V8 Toyota 4Runner Limited. Faster, cheaper and stealthier then anything on your list. And you can actually drive it off-road. Can you say 350HP and 360 lb-ft of torque? If you really need the label then do the same to the Lexus GX470 and I'm sure you'll hit your 80K target.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0409_4run/

turbotrip
10-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Acura MDX :thumbsup:

Impreza
10-07-2004, 09:14 PM
G500 handsdown! It is by FAR the nicest thing on the road!

palladinx
10-24-2004, 02:33 AM
i say go for the porche, very nice and hey its porche!:thumbsup: cant go wrong there

aZnBlooD
11-23-2004, 03:57 AM
i would definately go for the fx45

Importz
11-23-2004, 04:19 AM
am startin to like the armada more and more.... ya....no??

Importz
11-23-2004, 04:20 AM
:)

Importz
11-23-2004, 04:21 AM
;)

qaxaz
12-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Nothing screams luxury like a Tracker :D

http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/tracker/images/tracker1.jpg

isoleet
12-13-2004, 06:50 PM
If you can shell out 100k+ I'd get the RR
otherwise get the escalade if not the Denali

New denali is sick... just go to GM's front page...