PDA

View Full Version : Best Gears For Ford Ranger?

Mtrunks49
09-20-2004, 08:55 PM
I have a 2002, ford ranger with a 3.0L V6, and it has a 5.5" lift, and i will soon be putting size 33 tires on it. The current gears are the stock 3.27's and i need to know if 4.10's are the best in overall gears. I am looking for good gas mileage, good top speed, good acceleration, and good off-road capabilities so i need the gears that best make up for the change in tire size.
Should i go with the 4.10's?

turboMiata
09-20-2004, 10:46 PM
You're not going to increase top speed with bigger rings, however, your acceleration will improve a bit. Off road, you'll be happy to see some of your power back, but your ring and pinion will be weaker because there's more teeth now.

It's all a compromis, but I'd say do it, and slap some lockers on while you're at it. I'd also replace the pinion bearing at the same time as they're cheap insurance.

Kenny_boy
09-20-2004, 10:56 PM
I have to agree with Turbo... if you are going anywhere off road I woujld have a 4:11 diff... You won't however get the gas mileage you might be hoping for cause your engine will now have to run at a higher RPM to reacht he same spead... But on the flip side... you'll have more torque to turn the bigger tires you are putting on... Also, is your tranny Auto or Manual... and is it a high speed manual or lower speed... if it is low speed... then changing diffs might not be needed... but high speed... almost gauranteed you'll have to change it if you want to do any climbing off road...

Mtrunks49
09-20-2004, 11:11 PM
it is a Manual, high speed....
and what about the pinion bearing? replace to a stronger one? where should i buy it from?
i am sure i will put a locker in once i have the money again, so i will just ask now what kind you reccommend

turboMiata
09-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Mtrunks49
and what about the pinion bearing? replace to a stronger one? where should i buy it from?

I dunno what's best for your truck, but on Rovers, we stick with the Timken. How many miles you have on your truck? You may not need it if it's low mileage. I'm only saying to change it if you are putting in lockers.

Originally posted by Mtrunks49
i am sure i will put a locker in once i have the money again, so i will just ask now what kind you reccommend

Aahahah, I've been waiting for someone to ask this question on Beyond for a long time! Check a Ford BBS for your answer. I'm sure you'll find alot of lively discussion on this topic!

Mtrunks49
09-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Well my truck only has about 23,000 miles on it, so i see no need to reaplace the pinion bearing, and i am not totally sure if i want to get a locker, because although i like to offroad and stuff, i do a lot of freeway, and mountain road driving. Thanks though, you've been a big help