PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Fitness Competition?

davidI
09-21-2004, 08:34 PM
'Sup y'all.

Another forum I'm part of is having a fitness competition and I thought maybe we should have one here. School's back in and I know I was lazy all summer so maybe some others wanna try to bulk up or get back into shape too. The other forums generally set a start date that pics have to be in by and then 3 or 4 months later have the finish date where once again people submit their pics. At the end we can set up a poll or something to decide the winner. Any interest?

three.eighteen.
09-21-2004, 08:36 PM
you just wanna see pics of dudes with no shirts on :rofl:

davidI
09-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
you just wanna see pics of dudes with no shirts on :rofl:
caught me :angel:

DUBBED
09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
I think you should workout and train for your own reasons, not for a pat on the back from others. It's just an injury waiting to happen.

For example I wanna start training for golf (as stupid as it sounds), so bulking up isn't high on my list. My point is different people workout for different reasons. Enter a bodybuilding competition if you're serious about it. :dunno:

davidI
09-21-2004, 09:31 PM
It's not like people train to win an internet contest haha. The contests on other forums generally end up being critiques and a place where people ask other peoples routines and diets and stuff. Then at the end of 3 months you see the progress you've made, other people give you props or motivation to keep at it and you can discuss what worked for you. Oh well, thought it would be cool to do on a local level but if no one's interested then I won't bother to set one up.

marq-jt
09-21-2004, 09:41 PM
i would be but i think for any changes it would take me atleast 5 years to get these u call fat... muahahaha :rofl:

:drama:

1-Bar
09-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
I think you should workout and train for your own reasons, not for a pat on the back from others. It's just an injury waiting to happen.

For example I wanna start training for golf (as stupid as it sounds), so bulking up isn't high on my list. My point is different people workout for different reasons. Enter a bodybuilding competition if you're serious about it. :dunno:

I think its a good idea. I mean it would definatley keep the people involved motivated to stay in the gym and work out. I don't think anyone would go that far as to injure themselves, its not like a Mr. Universe thing.

Actually you'd be surprized at all the proffesional golfers who now hit the gym because of Tiger Woods. People had the stigma that working out would decrease your game due to changing your muscles, just like in basketball. Tiger I guess dismissed those misconceptions. Just look at David Duval and company who are either slimming down or bulking up....

Melinda
09-22-2004, 12:45 AM
Yeah it's not a bad idea at all. We did similar things in high school (though not with pictures) and it helped alot of people stay more motivated and more driven to ask questions, just like was already mentioned in this thread. I might be in for this, however I'm at a disadvantage because I sustained alot of physical injury a little over a year ago and I have not yet gotten back into the swing of things from before my accident

JAYMEZ
09-22-2004, 02:00 AM
Damn , that means i gota start workin out again bahha

DUBBED
09-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
People had the stigma that working out would decrease your game due to changing your muscles, just like in basketball. Tiger I guess dismissed those misconceptions. Just look at David Duval and company who are either slimming down or bulking up....

I misunderstood this contest. I'd be in if it's judged by your own goals, we should have an update from everyone on every other week. Just to see how everyone is coming along.

If everyone set their own goals and used this "contest" to motivate themselves to complete those goals then i see nothing wrong with that.

Melinda
09-22-2004, 09:26 AM
thats a great idea, maybe everyone states their goals for themselves before it even begins and updates once in a while with what they are doing to achieve it

1-Bar
09-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Werd...I'm down for sure!!

three.eighteen.
09-22-2004, 03:06 PM
alright, i'd be in, time to see a real personal success story

JAYMEZ
09-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Alright so how should we do this...

Weight in now...? Goal you want. Physic(sp) you want?

Melinda
09-22-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm in too, it's about damn time I start training again

Chim
09-22-2004, 05:05 PM
I wanna get in on this too.

How will it be judged though? Different people have different goals, as mentioned. So will it just be based on progress towards a goal?

Melinda
09-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Why do we need to get judged? Is there gonna be some magical prize that we win at the end?

davidI
09-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Why do we need to get judged? Is there gonna be some magical prize that we win at the end?

haha, not unless someone wants to donate one. It might provide a bit of motivation at the end. If a lot of people think you made a great deal of improvement then it's a push to keep doing what you're doing and if you didn't really do that well then it shows you that you need to work harder. If there's no winner then it isn't really a competition haha.

davidI
09-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Chim
I wanna get in on this too.

How will it be judged though? Different people have different goals, as mentioned. So will it just be based on progress towards a goal?

If everyone states their goal then at the end you can see who made the most improvement towards that goal. All the competitions I've seen on bb forums involve people either trying to bulk up, cut up or lose weight. It would be tough to judge someone on 'increasing cardiovascular' ability or something just from looking at a picture!

davidI
09-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Damn , that means i gota start workin out again bahha

I know haha, that's why I wanna do this!

1-Bar
09-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by davidI
It would be tough to judge someone on 'increasing cardiovascular' ability or something just from looking at a picture!

Darn, I was going to work out on my cardiovasular conditioning too....

I agree on just posting your goals. Make them clear, not like I want to lose weight. Give specifics, how many pounds, how many inches do you wanna gain here, what's your target body mass...etc. Have a weekly check in and see where everyone is at.

7thgenvic
09-23-2004, 12:44 AM
i'll just have to photoshop myself to look all buff! hahahah but this sounds like a good idea, summer killed my stomach! i look like chris now! :( no more fatty abbies!

JAYMEZ
09-23-2004, 12:57 AM
Muahah second day back workin out. im about 20 percent out of 100 percent (being what i used to do aka my goal)

finboy
09-23-2004, 01:26 AM
i might try it out once my car runs...

see you in 6 months or so :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Melinda
09-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Hehe yeah good luck with judging some of these. What happens if someone wants to lose 10 pounds and another person wants to lose 25 and both reach it? Obviously both have reached their goal, but are you gonna tell the person who lost 10 pounds that they 'lost' cause the other person achieved their goal too? It's a little hard to judge something like that...the motivation should be doing it for yourself and if you keep everyone updated, they can give positive feedback, constructive critism, encouragement ect. When you reach your goal, that's when you win! :D

Should we pick a starting date for this and make a separate thread for goals and feedback about achieving them? This thread has a whole bunch of debate about doing it or not

three.eighteen.
09-23-2004, 11:54 AM
screw the competition idea, just come back post gains and thoughts regularly, itll be good to see others achieving for motivation

cya
09-23-2004, 01:41 PM
it's a great way to stay motivated. just post up pics and let the others tell you what to work on and also it gives others a chance to tell you where you've made the best improvements.

i'm currently subscribed to another post on another forum and that one was started back in may of 2002. it currently has over 25,000 hits and has almost 450 replies to it.

just depends on the members of beyond and how supportive the people are.

1-Bar
09-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Hehe yeah good luck with judging some of these. What happens if someone wants to lose 10 pounds and another person wants to lose 25 and both reach it? Obviously both have reached their goal, but are you gonna tell the person who lost 10 pounds that they 'lost' cause the other person achieved their goal too? It's a little hard to judge something like that...the motivation should be doing it for yourself and if you keep everyone updated, they can give positive feedback, constructive critism, encouragement ect. When you reach your goal, that's when you win! :D

I don't think we should judge them on a win/lose basis, rather on a completed/not completed one. Everyone has different goals and thus they cannot be an ultimate winner.

Originally posted by 7thgenvic
i'll just have to photoshop myself to look all buff! hahahah but this sounds like a good idea, summer killed my stomach! i look like chris now! no more fatty abbies!

man what are you talking about?? Are you making fun of me?? Cause if you are, I dun get it.....:dunno: If you looked like me, you wouldn't have to revert to emaking and thus hiding your appearance :rofl:

cya
09-23-2004, 02:26 PM
i suggest we forget the competition idea and just post pictures for encouragement and/or advice.

davidI
09-23-2004, 02:39 PM
It seems like the 'judging' is a hot topic. Really, it's not like you're doing this to be a winner of the contest! Any other competition I've seen there is always an obvious winner and they just deserve congrats at the end. Someone always seems to make a huge change in their appearance and they deserve the credit for being as motivated as they are. It's not like you're a loser if you don't win!

There are too many what-ifs in this thread. I think everyone is thinking too much about it! If you want to increase your cardio and not change your physical appearance then an online photo competition is not for you! This 'competition' is solely a place for you to put your 'before' photo and work towards what your ideal body would be and see how much progress you make after 3 months. If you already have an ideal body then this isn't for you, if you are after some obscure goal (like cardio or being a horse jockey or having a marathon runners body) then this probably isn't for you! A 'photo' contest is based on aesthetics. If we had some way of measuring your progress then that would be awesome but we don't so there's no point. It would just turn into a 'who can bench the most' type thing where everyone can e-bench 500 pounds. In any contest like this I've seen, scrawny people are aiming to get bigger and stronger and bulkier people are aiming to lose some pounds or tone up.

Personally, I used to be a solid 175-180 and I'm now at 168 and weak and scrawny. My goal is to bulk back up towards my ideal physique!

I will just start the actual competiton threads with the rules at the top and if you wanna join then do and we'll see how it goes!
:thumbsup:

Chim
09-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Hehe maybe I shouldn't have brought up the judging bit, just thought that since the thread title said competition I'd ask.

Scrapping the competition idea and turning it into a before/after thread could be really good. After seeing results of hard work, maybe some of the people here who spend far too much time on this forum will get the motivation to shape up

davidI
09-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Chim

Scrapping the competition idea and turning it into a before/after thread could be really good. After seeing results of hard work, maybe some of the people here who spend far too much time on this forum will get the motivation to shape up

It really just is a before and after thread! But what is guaranteed to happen is that at the end everyone will be giving props to a few people for how much they changed. That's how it becomes a contest :dunno:

We'll just see how it goes. The reason I started it is because I've seen some sweet ones but never been too involved because I don't know anyone else involved. These other contests have evolved over the years to where a few people donate a few bucks so the winner gets some protein powder or something at the end. If you'd join a fitness competiton just to win then you're overly competitive and need to find new reasons to live. The idea of a competition just gives the atmosphere that you have to work harder than everyone else and I think that's what we all want to do - hit the gym and hit it hard :thumbsup:

BloodBaneZXY
09-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Definitely count me in, time to get serious :P

1-Bar
09-23-2004, 11:38 PM
The idea of a competition just gives the atmosphere that you have to work harder than everyone else and I think that's what we all want to do - hit the gym and hit it hard :thumbsup:

:werd: a lil competition is a powerful tool for motivation, and so is money....:D

Melinda
09-24-2004, 10:07 AM
I will just start the actual competiton threads with the rules at the top and if you wanna join then do and we'll see how it goes!
Sweet, I think we're gonna start going for this tonight so as soon as the thread is up, I'll make my post :)

davidI
09-24-2004, 05:43 PM

Sweet, I think we're gonna start going for this tonight so as soon as the thread is up, I'll make my post :)

Awesome. A few people have expressed interest, they just need to get their hands on a digi cam. I'll post up my pics pretty soon now.

1badPT
09-24-2004, 08:30 PM
I feel weird about posting my pics up in that other thread :tongue:

1-Bar
09-25-2004, 12:13 AM
cool...I got my digit cam in hand and just waiting for the thread.:thumbsup:

davidI
09-25-2004, 02:16 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59671

three.eighteen.
09-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
I feel weird about posting my pics up in that other thread :tongue:

:werd: why couldnt some fat kid have posted his pics first? :rofl:

davidI
09-25-2004, 03:13 PM
it's ok to blur your faces if you want. But realistically if you've ever gone swimming without a shirt then you've alrady flaunted your stuff. ;)

Melinda
09-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Hmm I think I might refrain from pictures on this one. I think I'm the only girl going in on this and I know how girls get treated on the forum when they post pictures of themselves, specifically in bathing suits or other similar attire.

That photo thread should also be a place to state what your goals are in this whole process, not just a picture :)

davidI
09-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Hmm I think I might refrain from pictures on this one. I think I'm the only girl going in on this and I know how girls get treated on the forum when they post pictures of themselves, specifically in bathing suits or other similar attire.

That photo thread should also be a place to state what your goals are in this whole process, not just a picture :)

The post says to include your personal stats and goals if you want :)

I was surprised you were going to post your pictures too! If you wanted to be involved in something like this though, try some fitness forums because a lot of girls do enter and the people seem to be 10x more mature about things than a lot of folks here.

1badPT
09-25-2004, 06:31 PM
I'm working on a forum that I'm going to launch later, but if you wanted I could temporarily set it up for this and make it private. Blurring my face would do no good since my face is in my avatar :tongue:

The before and after photos I think would be really motivating but it just feels weird posting them here :dunno:

davidI
09-25-2004, 07:18 PM
that would be awesome man!

I agree it's weird posting pics on here cause too many people just browse and whore up every thread.

1badPT
09-25-2004, 08:52 PM
www.thegatheringpoint.com/forum

Ok the forum is set up - try to keep the same usernames as here so I know to activate your account and add it the private section of the forum. (the forum is private signups only so other than a few friends who won't have access to the fitness competition threads, the site is just us).

PS - the site is fully functional but its a work in progress so some of the graphics are still the default ones yadda yadda. Let me know if theres any problems though.

1badPT
09-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Ok, I've posted my stuff up and I've activated everyone who's registered over there so far - so when you visit again the private forum should appear on the main page.

davidI
09-26-2004, 09:08 PM
cool man! Thanx for doing all that. I'll get rid of the threads on this forum. I'll get my stuff up as soon as I have a spare minute. This weekend and monday is gonna be crazy!

Melinda
09-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Alrighty, I've signed up and made my little post, thanks again for the forum! :)

JAYMEZ
09-27-2004, 02:02 AM
k i registered.

1badPT
09-27-2004, 02:14 AM
Ok I've activated everyone who registered tonight as of this post.

crx62
09-27-2004, 02:41 AM
wat would be the prize?

1badPT
09-27-2004, 11:58 AM
What do you want the prize to be? :tongue:

I'm doing this mainly for gains and the extra motivation that comes from having other people watch your progress - maybe everyone who achieves their goal gets a drink bought for them by everyone else? I dunno. :dunno:

Melinda
09-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
What do you want the prize to be? :tongue:

I'm doing this mainly for gains and the extra motivation that comes from having other people watch your progress - maybe everyone who achieves their goal gets a drink bought for them by everyone else? I dunno. :dunno:
Yeah everyone involved should go out for a drink/snack at a pub or something once they've reached their goals...a night out can be the prize :)

civic_rida
09-27-2004, 04:50 PM
i dont get why no one is postin pics.
Everyone was up for it n now no one is doin it.

davidI
09-27-2004, 07:51 PM
I will, I'm just ridiculously busy right now!

1badPT
09-28-2004, 11:16 AM
For anyone who is shy about posting up their pics, maybe start off with what your goals are for the next few months. Then as you get to know the group more, you can post up your pics when you feel more comfortable.

http://www.thegatheringpoint.com/forum

Thanks for everyone who's registered and posted already and good luck.

403Gemini
09-28-2004, 04:20 PM
wow cant believe i didnt see this thread till now

im in

im seraph403

edit: also say places u work out so if peeps goto same gym they can meet up and help each other :D

i right now just goto mt royal, dont goto the gym much, but plan on hittin it 2-3 times a week and even just workin out at home

1badPT
09-28-2004, 04:49 PM
You're added W :thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
09-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Day 1 bahah

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d709b3127cceb7d093c7be390000001610

BloodBaneZXY
09-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Finally someone with the guts to post a pic, good stuff man, but do ya have a better pic, it's a little difficult to tell what you look like from that pic, and what are your goals?

Melinda
09-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY
Finally someone with the guts to post a pic, good stuff man, but do ya have a better pic, it's a little difficult to tell what you look like from that pic, and what are your goals?
That's cause most of the "competition" is going on here: http://www.thegatheringpoint.com/forum

BloodBaneZXY
09-28-2004, 05:01 PM
I've been frequently checking that forum too, and no one's posted much :dunno:

1badPT
09-28-2004, 05:02 PM
What's your username there? If you're not signed up and added to the group you won't be able to see the posts or even the section of the forum that deals with this :dunno:

Melinda
09-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY
I've been frequently checking that forum too, and no one's posted much :dunno:
Neither have you :dunno:

JAYMEZ
09-28-2004, 05:05 PM
I read the jokes muahah

1badPT
09-28-2004, 05:06 PM
I just added you BloodBaneZXY. I should point out - your first visit you'll be seen by the forum as a visitor, so you won't be able to see private sections - and that's where I have the forum for this hidden. Once you go back you'll be able to see the fitness comp threads.

BloodBaneZXY
09-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Ahh, no wonder I wasn't seeing anything..Thanks!

Chim
09-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Damn I wanted to enter but can't get my hands on a digi cam within budget.

Too awkward to borrow a buddy's cam because I don't have the software on my PC.

Looks like its back to the mirror for motivation :thumbsup:

1badPT
09-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Pics are preferred but not a requirement - post up your goals and start with that :)

Cixz
09-30-2004, 09:00 PM
man i definatly want in on this i just saw it can u add me as well
iv been back in the gym for 2 months already and im loving it
ill post some pics up

1badPT
09-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Sure we're having the discussion here -
http://www.thegatheringpoint.com/forum

First time you visit you won't be able to see the fitness threads, but once I add you to the private section, the fitness threads will show up.

BloodBaneZXY
09-30-2004, 11:46 PM
Everyone should definitely get in on this, gonna be a lot of fun

JeremyD
10-01-2004, 10:10 AM
This is a cool idea. I have had trouble getting back into the swing of things this should help. Thanks to everyone that organized it.

I registered on the other forums using the same name as here.

Melinda
10-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by JeremyD
This is a cool idea. I have had trouble getting back into the swing of things this should help. Thanks to everyone that organized it.

I registered on the other forums using the same name as here.
Yeah you've been added to the fitness group so go ahead and start posting! :)

cwj1138
10-01-2004, 11:18 AM
This sounds really cool.. I have registered using the same name as on here.

The biggest problem i have is keeping focus and motivation. I hope this helps out.

Melinda
10-01-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by cwj1138
This sounds really cool.. I have registered using the same name as on here.

The biggest problem i have is keeping focus and motivation. I hope this helps out.
You're added too! :thumbsup:

hyperwhite
10-23-2004, 07:01 AM
is it to late now? i need to drop some pounds. i'll register anyways on the other site as "hyper"

1badPT
10-23-2004, 11:49 AM
I just added you. Head over to the forum again and you should be able to see the fitness sections now.

http://www.thegatheringpoint.com/forum/

peter.pan
10-23-2004, 03:36 PM
what an awesoma idea every bit of info and encouragement helps

my lady told me it's time to make a gym comeback tour :drama:
my pics would benerate this response:eek: , just wondering what is the ideal weight for 5ft9 guy??? thanx again, gym here I come lol

1badPT
10-23-2004, 03:51 PM
I just added you as well peter.pan - when you visit the site again you should be able to see the fitness sections. I'm not sure what the ideal weight is but surely you'll have a goal for yourself - whether its to lose some weight or gain it. Once you set your goal you have something to work towards and all of us help keep each other motivated.

http://www.thegatheringpoint.com/forum/

Singel
11-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Just joined that other site, was gonna do it in Oct. but I just forgot.

Meh, I'm down about 12 pounds in the last 6 or so weeks, and hopefully 1-2 pounds have turned from fat to muscle :thumbsup:

I saw my basketball coach from last year the other night, I told him the only thing he needed to do to make me get in shape was get me a trip to the Dominican Republic:D

1badPT
11-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Good to hear :thumbsup: I just added you so on your next visit you should be able to see the fitness section.

Maverik
11-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Are you guys still doing this?

BloodBaneZXY
11-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeap

Maverik
11-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Is there actually like an end date or has it turned into more of a place to chat and keep each other motivated and active and discuss shit?

~Leah~
11-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Nope Jan 31 I believe it ends?

davidI
11-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Maverik
Is there actually like an end date or has it turned into more of a place to chat and keep each other motivated and active and discuss shit?

It's more of a discussion type place! The contest does end at the end of January like Leah said though.