PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it?........

H4LFY2nR
09-22-2004, 12:26 AM
How do you guys afford to drive while at university. I'm in first year engineering and now I have no time to work to pay for insurance and gas. Is there any hope for me to drive before spring? Any suggestions welcome.

finboy
09-22-2004, 07:44 AM
time managment, i saved up a couple paycheques at the end of the summer so i don't NEED a job until the end of october, after that i'll be looking for the highest paying job i can for the weekends.

more pay means you won't have to work as many shifts to make the same money :thumbsup:

Mckenzie
09-22-2004, 07:51 AM
My school is more important than trying to earn a few hundred bucks every couple of weeks. I have not worked over the past two years and I dont plan to work over the next two.

I have a line of credit that I can draw from where I just pay interest. Debt sucks, but so does academic probation and stressing about studying when you are working. I try to save enough during my summers to cover what I can during the year. Even though I am in the hole pretty far, I would much rather have some debt to pay off after school when I get a good job with a high GPA than spend that time working and letting marks suffer.

Also, if you keep your marks high, like around 3.7, you will get scholarships. These can be $1-$2000 at a time which can go far.

E36M3
09-22-2004, 08:14 AM
I would recommend working like a madman all summer long and saving as much as possible. In addition, student loans are the cheapest money you will ever get.. if I had to do it again, I would rack up as much in student loans as humanly possible (I didn't take any at all thinking debt is bad, but have since changed my mind on that)

Mckenzie
09-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Yeah student loans are nice because you dont have to pay them back until 6 months after grad and they dont accrue interest until that time. So you are actually saving a considerable amount by taking out student loans. I am using my student loan money to pay off my student line of credit, as I have to pay interest on my LOC.

Shaolin
09-22-2004, 09:08 AM
rich parents. They pay for tuition, i pay for textbooks.

rage2
09-22-2004, 10:01 AM
1. Worked full time for 7 months. Took 4 spares in grade 12 to get 1/2 the year off.
2. Student Loan (with false info to get more money).
3. Work 5 hrs a night as busboy.
4. Worked as bartender.
5. Didn't pay tax on tips.

It's entirely possible IF you work hard. I maintained a 1st year GPA of 3.7 while working my ass off and drove around in a 944 turbo paying up to $7k a year in insurance.

What a waste... should've dropped out earlier. School is useless anyways lol.

Kid_a
09-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
rich parents. They pay for tuition, i pay for textbooks.

:werd: haha

I work Mon-Fri while going to school full time, but the shift is only 6:30-10:30 so I still have tons of spare time

roopi
09-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
Yeah student loans are nice because you dont have to pay them back until 6 months after grad and they dont accrue interest until that time. So you are actually saving a considerable amount by taking out student loans. I am using my student loan money to pay off my student line of credit, as I have to pay interest on my LOC.

Interest begins as soon as you graduate not 6 months after. The first payment is required 6 months after.

max_boost
09-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Start at age 13 and go to work every single day after school and on weekends. Now do that for about 9 years and you can drive a car to school and even pay for the most expensive parking in the lots closest to campus! :nut:I made it through Jr.High and High School but not University, focking academic probation can suck balls. I donated two years of tuition and books to U of C because I went to class 5% of the time. :rofl:But now I take my education seriously and still work all the hours and currently maintaining a 3.27GPA at SAIT!

It is possible. However, don't recommend it to any of you. Stay in school, say fuck it to the nice cars and clothes, keep your pride, get a 95% average in highschool and make it into an Ivy League school and get a 4.0GPA. The world is yours after.

Ed the SOHC
09-22-2004, 02:36 PM
I found a rich girl in college.

Vanish3d
09-22-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm in 2nd/3rd year engineering, and after trying to work part time and go to school my first year, i realized that I couldnt do both. So i work lots during the summer, and pay my insurance and gas for the 8 months.

I know where you're comming from, it sucks. Engineering is VERY time consuming.

NickGT
09-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Student loans paid for my post secondary, and money i had saved from working prior to going to school kept me afloat during that time period....

But then I couldn't find work worthwhile, and my education ended up being more or less an expensive lesson that school does not guarantee anything. So now I'm into tradeswork. Loan paid off, new car... :love:

Gondi Stylez
09-22-2004, 05:11 PM
i work my ass off during the summer and make as much $$ as possible. during school i work 3-4 hrs a week for my dad to help him w/ our family business, so that pays for my gas and some shit here and there!

working during school is hard but it sucks when u start at 8 finish at 5 then go right to work then sleep so u can wake up the next morning! so why not work hard in summer, swallow ur pride for school and then get back at making 10-15/hr in the summer as oppose to making say 3-400/mon getting a <1.00 GPA and having no where to turn after that!!

also i have a schoiol fund program that my parents tstarted b4 i was born! so i guess they pay tuition and i pay book!! i like that trade off!

3 more years of school and off to degree #2!! isnt school grrrrrrrrrreat!!:devil:

tulit
09-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Scholarships and bursarys is where it's at... Work "hard" and you get free money!!! I didn't even apply and I got enough money to pretty much pay off 3rd and 4th years tuition.

babiedoll
09-22-2004, 07:18 PM
student loans is the way to go...you don't have to pay it back until you're done school for 6 months...even if you're going for a master's right after undergrad you you still don't have to pay it back until 6 months after you're done your master's and so forth...also, you can apply for remissions when you're done school and the government will actually take off a chunk of how much you borrowd (in other words, you don't have to pay that back)...it's great, plus monthly payments to pay off the loans when you're done are pretty affordable...and like what all the other people are saying, when you're done school just get a higher paying job and you're good to go!!!

no_joke
09-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Broken record: Work in the summer like it's going out of style. Excluding stat holidays and weekends, I took 6 days off over four months of summer. Work, work, work. You'll hate yourself in the summer because you won't be having as much fun but at least you'll have money to last through the school year. I was thinking about how stupid I was for working so much but in the end, the money makes up for it. Then you won't have to worry about your weekend shift interfering with a big exam or something.

max_boost
09-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Even if it's a student loan with deferred interest, the fact is, debt is easy to accumulate! I know some people who are in their 4th or 5th year and are close to $30K! haha Yah you'll most likely get remission (however much that is) but by the time you are done school, you are also older. Next thing you know, your job, unless if it's a real good one, won't cover your debt, mortgage, expenses and then you'll be spending the next dozen years paying shit off!

:eek:

LUDELVR
09-22-2004, 08:31 PM
I had a shit job where it wasn't that busy and I could actually get my marking done! I had to read over 60 high school papers and evaluate and mark all of them...no cutting corners there! But like I said, getting a job where you are not that busy allows you to do other things...like school work! haha :thumbsup:

dj_honda
09-22-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by no_joke
Broken record: Work in the summer like it's going out of style. Excluding stat holidays and weekends, I took 6 days off over four months of summer. Work, work, work. You'll hate yourself in the summer because you won't be having as much fun but at least you'll have money to last through the school year. I was thinking about how stupid I was for working so much but in the end, the money makes up for it. Then you won't have to worry about your weekend shift interfering with a big exam or something.

i got you beat! 2 days off from the end of exams until school started!

work hard in the summer man. i worked 2 jobs. i drive to school cuz i hate the bus. i dont drive a super expensive car either, because thats just added cost as well.

i also work on saturdays a full 8 hour shift at the mall. i am sure my marks suffer because of this to a degree, but i mean, marks arent everything, and i would rather pay it off little by little instead of having 30 grand to pay off once i get my undergrad degree.

im in the same boat as mckenzie...different loan sources of money. i got a student loc as well from bmo.

mckenzie, where did you get yours?

anyways i am only around 4k of debt. and thats just now after paying for school + books + parking and im in 3rd year. i usually have most of it paid off during summer.

yea if you are in engg, 4th year is internship!!! i hope i get a decent one next year. i mean even at like 2k a month, you can still have 32k at the end of the 16 month internship assuming you get one right away. but i have heard most of them pay more than 2k a month so, sweet deal:D

Chester
09-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Like a bunch of the other guys said, work your ass off during summer. In July I was working two jobs, one from 7-4 and the other from 6-12, by the end of the month I was to worn out to work two jobs so I quit one. My parents pay for my tuition so its not all that bad, I just have no idea where all my money goes other than books:dunno:

Ajay
09-22-2004, 09:59 PM
I have student loans and a line of credit but I can't get student loans anymore and I don't use my line of credit.

I pay for my school all on my own. I work at a pretty decent job that pays me pretty good even during the school year. I work part time for 8 months outta the year and last year I made almost as much as what the average Canadian makes working full time.

Pain in the ass sometimes balancing school and work but whatever....I'm paying for my own education, car, insurance, and all my other goodies!

Gondi Stylez
09-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
I have student loans and a line of credit but I can't get student loans anymore and I don't use my line of credit.

I pay for my school all on my own. I work at a pretty decent job that pays me pretty good even during the school year. I work part time for 8 months outta the year and last year I made almost as much as what the average Canadian makes working full time.

Pain in the ass sometimes balancing school and work but whatever....I'm paying for my own education, car, insurance, and all my other goodies!

what the hell do u do?!?!:bigpimp:

Team_Mclaren
09-23-2004, 06:13 PM
worked 2 jobs in summer, like alot of people did here, one 7-3 the other 4-10, my parents pay for school and insurance, i paid for car and gas, and of course MODS!:bigpimp:

babiedoll
09-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

Yea, what the hell do you do?!?!? Hook it up!!!

Altezza
09-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Vanish3d
I'm in 2nd/3rd year engineering, and after trying to work part time and go to school my first year, i realized that I couldnt do both. So i work lots during the summer, and pay my insurance and gas for the 8 months.

It's quite possible to do both. While doing my Engineering degree, I was at the office 25-35 hours a week and still managed awesome grades.

Ajay
09-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Beleive it or not....retail sales!

Just gotta pound out the sales regardless how boring and tedious it gets!

Kinda sucks with work and school trying to get A's and trying to make good cash but what can you do?

Marsh
09-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Im in Engg as well but im lucky i got a slack job i just work at a kiosk so i can get all my homework and shit done there...its not that bad though, I mean yeah some people have no time to spare with engg but I dont think its THAT bad.....

....Until Exams come hahaha

shakalaka
09-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
rich parents

hahah:werd:
tell me about it!!!
lol

GTS Jeff
09-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by H4LFY2nR
How do you guys afford to drive while at university. I'm in first year engineering and now I have no time to work to pay for insurance and gas. Is there any hope for me to drive before spring? Any suggestions welcome. easy. i park my car during winter and i try to minimize dates with the woman.

kaput
09-25-2004, 07:18 PM

V6-BoI
09-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Vanish3d

I am in 3'rd year engg, and working and doing engg is possible, you just gotta find a job which allows you to work on the weekend. I found a job that allows me to work one day a week, at a hotel working the night shift (11 pm - 7 am). I figure since it's a night shift, it allows me to study a bit, and kinda saves me money from going out on fridays.

And the parking thing, it is expensive, I always say I'm wanna take the bus more to save up on parking and gas money. But it's so hard when you have 8 am classes, and you just wanna sleep in bit longer. Also during winter, it sucks waiting for the bus in like -30 degree weather.

finboy
09-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI

Also during winter, it sucks waiting for the bus in like -30 degree weather.

and this is exactly why i refuse to park my car during winter :thumbsup: