PDA

View Full Version : All DSMer's

99GSXTC
09-22-2004, 09:28 AM
To any and all DSMer's

Bros, been looking for anyone that has installed an Apex'i Power FC in their DSM's and am wanting feedback on their opinions on it. Im down here in South Carolina and know no one with it installed and running :banghead: besides the RX-7 boys. I need real input from real DSM owners who have the Power FC. I dont want the DSMLink nor the AEM EMS nor the Haltech. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!!

TC:banghead:

EK 2.0
09-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Up here I dont know of anyone with one installed either...but I do remember readoning on DSMTuners of a few fellows using them on their 2G's...

So if you haven't already...take a peek there...

DSMTuners (www.dsmtuners.com)

99GSXTC
09-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Yeah, Ive checked that out and all they can say is DSMLink or AEM EMS, I already know all that...*LOL* I have seen someone named boostedDSM saying he was running pretty similar the same setup I have...was hoping he was on and could reply. Thanks again!!

Boosted_TL
09-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 99GSXTC
Yeah, Ive checked that out and all they can say is DSMLink or AEM EMS, I already know all that...*LOL* I have seen someone named boostedDSM saying he was running pretty similar the same setup I have...was hoping he was on and could reply. Thanks again!!

BoostedDsm is my buddy, he runs a 99 GSX and has a similar setup, he is rarely on... I will let him know to contact you.

heavyD
09-22-2004, 03:19 PM
You have a 2G and you don't want dsmlink? :dunno: May I ask why?

2.0turbo
09-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Boosteddsm had one ready to go, turned the car over and melted the coil. The problem was that speedville *snicker* sent him one for an MR2. Fucking idiots. It's in the process right now of an exchange.

heavyD
09-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
Boosteddsm had one ready to go, turned the car over and melted the coil. The problem was that speedville *snicker* sent him one for an MR2. Fucking idiots. It's in the process right now of an exchange.

Is that Kevin's silver Eclipse that sat in speedville for a year? Did he finally get that car running? How is the car been running if that is his?

Pro Drag
09-22-2004, 04:02 PM
I would reccomend the GReddy Emanage with the GReddy E-01.
That is the combination of engine management that we used to tune Darryl's car to a 11.96 @ 116 MPH on PUMP GAS at the SCC. He has 1000 CC injectors as well.

2.0turbo
09-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Is that Kevin's silver Eclipse that sat in speedville for a year? Did he finally get that car running? How is the car been running if that is his?

Ya, it Kevins and he's only waiting for speedville to give him the RIGHT power fc.

99GSXTC
09-23-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL

BoostedDsm is my buddy, he runs a 99 GSX and has a similar setup, he is rarely on... I will let him know to contact you.

To be completely different actually. Everyone I know is either doing a DSMLink or AEM EMS, I actaully get tired of hearing the same thing over and over.

Originally posted by Pro Drag

I would reccomend the GReddy Emanage with the GReddy E-01.
That is the combination of engine management that we used to tune Darryl's car to a 11.96 @ 116 MPH on PUMP GAS at the SCC. He has 1000 CC injectors as well.

As for the Greddy emanage, I could run 11's without the greddy emange. Helped a buddy of mine with just a SAFC and GM MAFT and he ran a 11.79 at only 20 psi and that was his first run. He could still boost 5 more psi and had gas to add to that.

Boosted_TL, thanks for the message

See this is what I have:

Apexi N1 downpipe and catback
atmospheric dump O2 housing
Injen Intake w/o BOV returnline
Dejon tool upper intercooler piping
HKS SSQ BOV
Apexi front mount
NX N-tercooler ring hooked up to ZEX brain to freeze intercooler at WOT
Webcam Racing cams street grind 546/547
Fidanza cam gears
DSM Performance lightened pulleys & Crank Pulley
Eibach Sportline
GM MAF
650 CC FIC injectors (ball and disc type)
Walboro 255lph
ACT 2600 w street disc
Fidanza flywheel
Apexi SAFC
HKS Turbo timer
Greddy profecB spec II
Automeeter gauges for boost, oil pressure, & A/F ratio
B&M Short throw shifter
Goodridge stainless steel brake lines

This is what I have in my office sitting around and waiting....

DNP equal length tubular exhaust manifold
AGP RS60 turbo (TO4S compressor with stage 3 T31 turbine housing)
DNP 40mm wastegate
Custom dumptube from Kevin at AGP for wastegate
Custom 4bolt O2 housing
Clevite main and rod bearings
DSM Translator (waiting for standalone instead)
Balance shaft eliminator kit

In the process of waiting, looking, and/or debating for the following...

MAS conversion to 3 bar MAP
Shepard Racing transmission
BJ's Intake
BJ's stage II cylinder head
Slowboy stage III block
Aeromotive fuel rail
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
stainless steel fuel lines
CHM fuel gauge
Innovate Wideband O2
Coil on plug ignition

So far thats it. This is why I want a standalone and want to stick with Apex'i because I know a few of them at Apex'i and can get a smokin' deal for the Power FC and FC commander. Let me know something guys...thanks again.

Pro Drag
09-23-2004, 02:33 PM

As for the Greddy emanage, I could run 11's without the greddy emange. Helped a buddy of mine with just a SAFC and GM MAFT and he ran a 11.79 at only 20 psi and that was his first run. He could still boost 5 more psi and had gas to add to that.

Boosted_TL, thanks for the message

See this is what I have:

Apexi N1 downpipe and catback
atmospheric dump O2 housing
Injen Intake w/o BOV returnline
Dejon tool upper intercooler piping
HKS SSQ BOV
Apexi front mount
NX N-tercooler ring hooked up to ZEX brain to freeze intercooler at WOT
Webcam Racing cams street grind 546/547
Fidanza cam gears
DSM Performance lightened pulleys & Crank Pulley
Eibach Sportline
GM MAF
650 CC FIC injectors (ball and disc type)
Walboro 255lph
ACT 2600 w street disc
Fidanza flywheel
Apexi SAFC
HKS Turbo timer
Greddy profecB spec II
Automeeter gauges for boost, oil pressure, & A/F ratio
B&M Short throw shifter
Goodridge stainless steel brake lines

This is what I have in my office sitting around and waiting....

DNP equal length tubular exhaust manifold
AGP RS60 turbo (TO4S compressor with stage 3 T31 turbine housing)
DNP 40mm wastegate
Custom dumptube from Kevin at AGP for wastegate
Custom 4bolt O2 housing
Clevite main and rod bearings
DSM Translator (waiting for standalone instead)
Balance shaft eliminator kit

In the process of waiting, looking, and/or debating for the following...

MAS conversion to 3 bar MAP
Shepard Racing transmission
BJ's Intake
BJ's stage II cylinder head
Slowboy stage III block
Aeromotive fuel rail
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
stainless steel fuel lines
CHM fuel gauge
Innovate Wideband O2
Coil on plug ignition

So far thats it. This is why I want a standalone and want to stick with Apex'i because I know a few of them at Apex'i and can get a smokin' deal for the Power FC and FC commander. Let me know something guys...thanks again.
Was that 11 second pass on 91 Octane Pump gas?
Nevertheless 11's is a milestone.:thumbsup:
The 11.96 we pulled off was on 16 lbs of boost on 91 octane.
Looking at your mod list:
You seem to be severely lacking in the fuel injector area if you are going to push the limits of that turbo. Unless of course you are going to crank up your base fuel pressure to around 70 at the rail.

99GSXTC
09-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Yeppers, I know Pro Drag.

My bottom end wont hold it as it sits and my injectors were initally for a T3/T4OE .57 trim but I upgraded after the rebuild. Ive already got my eyes set on either RC's 750cc or higher. And the 11.79 my buddy ran was on 93 octane as we get that down here on the east coast but it was an awesome first track session. After that he went and had it dyno tuned to fish out another 60 horses.

Hopefully I can get things going with it soon, thanks for the help!!

Have a great day!!

iceburns288
09-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Another Carolinian...

:burnout:

Too bad I've never heard of Blythewood, and this is the most off-topic post ev4r. ;)

-Charlotte, NC y0

Pro Drag
09-24-2004, 01:08 AM
Yeppers, I know Pro Drag.

My bottom end wont hold it as it sits and my injectors were initally for a T3/T4OE .57 trim but I upgraded after the rebuild. Ive already got my eyes set on either RC's 750cc or higher. And the 11.79 my buddy ran was on 93 octane as we get that down here on the east coast but it was an awesome first track session. After that he went and had it dyno tuned to fish out another 60 horses.

Hopefully I can get things going with it soon, thanks for the help!!

Have a great day!!
If you are going to top out that turbo then you need 95lb injectors MINIMUM.

99GSXTC
09-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Pro Drag

If you are going to top out that turbo then you need 95lb injectors MINIMUM.

I thought about it, but Im not trying to go all out on the turbo till I get the motor. Till then the 850's will do. I know everything Im going to need and do for my motor. I know you have good intentions, but just a little info, everything on my car, Ive done myself. No technicians, no mechanics, just me. Dont trust anyone else. So, Ive done research, tons and tons on it and have even gotten in touch with Apex'i techs and will even be considered to sit in on the Power FC training when the engineers arrive from Japan in November. There wont be anything on the motor that I have not touched. But I am always open for suggestions and helpful tips. Im no Buschur, Rau or Shepard, my garage isnt big enough yet, but Im getting there...*LOL*. So, still, keep 'em coming. Im eager to hear from boostedDSM if he gets the chance. Pro Drag, I really appreciate everything you have to say as well!

Have a great day!!

99GSXTC
09-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
Another Carolinian...

:burnout:

Too bad I've never heard of Blythewood, and this is the most off-topic post ev4r. ;)

-Charlotte, NC y0

Whats up? Actually Im about 1.5 hours south on I-77 from you. On the edge of Columbia. Great to see another Carolinian!!

Have a great day!!

DSM Power
09-25-2004, 07:24 PM

Bros, been looking for anyone that has installed an Apex'i Power FC in their DSM's and am wanting feedback on their opinions on it.

Yeah, Ive checked that out and all they can say is DSMLink or AEM EMS, I already know all that

Just out of curiousity but why are you overlooking DSMLink or AEM? Are they too much money, too complicated, or are you just trying to go with something different. :dunno: IMHO, they are proven. The PowerFC is certainly rare in the DSM world from what I've seen. Maybe that means something.

black_shadow_18
09-25-2004, 07:38 PM
I looked into the Apexi route for my DSM. And I didnt use it because I found very little information about it, and decided the lack of support was a huge turn off. So I went AEM, and never regreted it.

99GSXTC
09-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power

Just out of curiousity but why are you overlooking DSMLink or AEM? Are they too much money, too complicated, or are you just trying to go with something different. :dunno: IMHO, they are proven. The PowerFC is certainly rare in the DSM world from what I've seen. Maybe that means something.

Yeah, it means no one wants to tune it because you have to have a dyno and be near a powerFC dealer. Ive looked at the DSMLink, ECU+, and the AEM EMS, but everyone has it. I have the money for them, but sure, tried and proven is great, but why be normal? Tuning and being a tuner means individuality. Because of that fact that I know no one with it, or who has done it, it intrigues me. Ive had great tuning with the SAFC alone and all I ever get from DSMers is "go with the DSMLink". Ive tuned my car with just the SAFC to run 13's in the 1320 with the stock turbo still on it without the addition of dataloggers. I like the menu options and graph parameters the PowerFC gives you and the ability to tune with it is much like the SAFC in some respects. That's just me. I like Apex'i. Thanks for the reply.

Have a great day!!