PDA

View Full Version : MP3 player

Stratus_Power
11-17-2002, 03:56 AM
im thinking of getting a MP3 player, portable one. anyone know where i can get some good deal on them? any recommandation? went through ebay and some of the newer one is about the same as retail if you add shipping to them.

RickDaTuner
11-17-2002, 07:04 AM
get a sony MD player instead youll be much happier for the same price

GTS Jeff
11-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
get a sony MD player instead youll be much happier for the same price dont bother MD...i have one and i cant say im too happy with it. MD sound quality licks.

RickDaTuner
11-17-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
dont bother MD...i have one and i cant say im too happy with it. MD sound quality licks. must be Broken Md is the closest thing to CD,
Mp3 players can only hold about 3-8 good quality songs depending on the file size

GTS Jeff
11-17-2002, 10:34 AM
must be Broken Md is the closest thing to CD,
Mp3 players can only hold about 3-8 good quality songs depending on the file size its not broken, its just that the md format doesnt have the frequency response that cd does....and it sounds horrible. basically like listening to an mp3 at 128kbps with everything below 100Hz and above 16KHz filtered out .

its ok for just having some music, but the quality seriously blows.

RickDaTuner
11-17-2002, 11:08 AM
well i cant complain though
MDs rock, so versitile

GTS Jeff
11-17-2002, 11:57 AM
yea, the discs are quite nice to throw around..

Hipermax_d
11-17-2002, 12:46 PM
it must be your recording level, thats why you your sound quality sucks

Stratus_Power
11-17-2002, 01:28 PM
im looking more for a MP3 player beacuse of the size. I want something that i can hang down the neck.

boi-alien
11-17-2002, 01:41 PM
get a sony MD player instead youll be much happier for the same price

i've had 3 MD players and 1 mp3 player. i got the MD players before mp3 players came out, so yea, it was pretty cool at the time. but now i don't even use my MD player it just sits there and collects dust. first of all, my mp3 player will never break because of regular use, there are no moving parts to break. one of the MD players that i had broke, the laser actually wore out, and it woulda costed me an arm and a leg just to replace the stupid laser. mp3 players are much smaller, and with flash memory that's 128mb you can hold lots of songs, anywhere from 40-50 high quality songs. basically, i'm saying u'd be much happier with an mp3 player, don't even have to bother with an MD.

D'z Nutz
11-17-2002, 02:51 PM
We still have 3 MD players, but honestly, I think MD's time is running short now. My recordable MD player is so trashed, I'm already thinking about investing in a mp3 player myself. It's just too expensive to repair it, and for the price it would cost, I could probably get a decent mp3 player.

Stratus_Power
11-17-2002, 03:34 PM
any recommandation on any MP3? Im thinking about the 128MB MaVo by Creative

GTS Jeff
11-17-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Hipermax_d
it must be your recording level, thats why you your sound quality sucks nope. everything is done digitally.

its just that the audio compression format of MDs ruin sound quality...

kenny
11-17-2002, 07:22 PM
Mp3 players can only hold about 3-8 good quality songs depending on the file size

iPod? 20gig drive, tiny as hell.

D'z Nutz
11-17-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by kenny

iPod? 20gig drive, tiny as hell.

And a price tag to match :(

Stratus_Power
11-17-2002, 09:04 PM
20gig ipod cost as much as 7 regular 20g HD :( ( nish)

so anyone where i can find some good deal ?

rage2
11-17-2002, 10:00 PM
dont bother MD...i have one and i cant say im too happy with it. MD sound quality licks.

must be Broken Md is the closest thing to CD,

its not broken, its just that the md format doesnt have the frequency response that cd does....and it sounds horrible. basically like listening to an mp3 at 128kbps with everything below 100Hz and above 16KHz filtered out .

its ok for just having some music, but the quality seriously blows.

What kinda ghetto MD setup did you have Jeff? :D I was VERY happy with my MD setup. MD bitrates are 5x higher than a 128kbit MP3.

My only complaints with MD is the lack of support on the car deck side, which is why I switched to MP3 completely. But I can definately tell the difference in quality... MD was very close to CD, MP3 CD's for my car doesn't sound that great unless I download and find 192kbit audio tracks. Pop in a normal CD in my car and you can hear a HUGE difference in quality.

Oh, and MD frequency response is identical to CD, 20-20k. MD compression is a lot less "lossy" than MP3.

GTS Jeff
11-17-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by rage2

What kinda ghetto MD setup did you have Jeff? :D I was VERY happy with my MD setup. MD bitrates are 5x higher than a 128kbit MP3.

My only complaints with MD is the lack of support on the car deck side, which is why I switched to MP3 completely. But I can definately tell the difference in quality... MD was very close to CD, MP3 CD's for my car doesn't sound that great unless I download and find 192kbit audio tracks. Pop in a normal CD in my car and you can hear a HUGE difference in quality.

Oh, and MD frequency response is identical to CD, 20-20k. MD compression is a lot less "lossy" than MP3. haha i just have some JDM aiwa recorder hooked up to my sb audigy with an optical cord and a JDM aiwa player....even when im recording MDs straight from CD it still loses some quality.

the problem lies in the compression of minidiscs....its called a-trak or something....it cuts out a lot of details that make the song sound different. for example, the compression format will cut out the hissing noise that a singer normally makes when shes singing something high-pitched IF she is singing really loud...cuz in theory her voice is supposed to drown out the hiss. on most speakers, this works, but i can hear the loss on my system so its sort of annoying. mind u, i can only tell the difference in quality on certain songs and only with my system in my room...i cant tell the difference when im listening to it thru headphones..:rolleyes:

i guess im nitpicking cuz most of my mp3s are just as bad :D :rolleyes:

ps. i think md freq. response and dynamic range are actually higher than cds cuz of the extra space freed up by the compression.

Ben
11-17-2002, 11:04 PM
jeff is probably the most anal music quality person I know of...which isn't a bad thing cause I get kick ass trance/techno/house/progressive music from him that sounds awesome...I hate listening to shitty quality club music...the bass isn't as clear and the silent parts are distorted...

GTS Jeff
11-18-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Benny
jeff is probably the most anal music quality person I know of...which isn't a bad thing cause I get kick ass trance/techno/house/progressive music from him that sounds awesome...I hate listening to shitty quality club music...the bass isn't as clear and the silent parts are distorted... lol hrm...man u still have to come up to etown sometime and check out the new additions ive made to my system!

Ben
11-18-2002, 01:05 AM
yeah fo sho, I'll likely book up for the V8Less party...I may fly though, wanna pick me up?

GTS Jeff
11-18-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Benny
yeah fo sho, I'll likely book up for the V8Less party...I may fly though, wanna pick me up? yea man....the hachiroku is definitely up for it!

RickDaTuner
11-18-2002, 11:10 AM
haha i just have some JDM aiwa recorder hooked up to my sb audigy with an optical cord and a JDM aiwa player....even when im recording MDs straight from CD it still loses some quality.

the problem lies in the compression of minidiscs....its called a-trak or something....it cuts out a lot of details that make the song sound different. for example, the compression format will cut out the hissing noise that a singer normally makes when shes singing something high-pitched IF she is singing really loud...cuz in theory her voice is supposed to drown out the hiss. on most speakers, this works, but i can hear the loss on my system so its sort of annoying. mind u, i can only tell the difference in quality on certain songs and only with my system in my room...i cant tell the difference when im listening to it thru headphones..:rolleyes:

i guess im nitpicking cuz most of my mp3s are just as bad :D :rolleyes:

ps. i think md freq. response and dynamic range are actually higher than cds cuz of the extra space freed up by the compression.

aiwa is crap for MDS go with sony the original creators