PDA

View Full Version : Crank pullet bolt...

cocoabrova
06-13-2002, 09:09 PM
Hey ppl.... What would cause my crank pulley bolt to turn itself loose ??:dunno: I had a new block put in by Silverhill, so I'm guessing THEY would've torqued it down right, and I myself have never even touched it.......:confused:

BTW there's 3 ITR's @ Silverhill service right now... The other 2 have hooped engines... What's up with that???:banghead: :banghead:

WBB6
06-13-2002, 09:55 PM
No, I had a bad experience with Calgary Honda, where they didn't tighten the bolt for my lower radius rod, and it came loose and my whole front tire went into the fender...bad bad news...

GothicSmurf
06-13-2002, 10:01 PM
you talking about the bolt that connects your belt connecter to your crankshaft?

the bolt is supposed to be toruqued to well over a hundred ft lbs

my suggestion, take the timing belt cover off, get socket on there, hold the crank wheel as steady as possible, then just kinda jerk the bolt tight, like hit your wratchet with a rubber mallet

and who said mechanics 30 was useless :confused:

oh yeah, gpomp

legendboy
06-13-2002, 10:43 PM
Hey, Cocoa, if u had your valves adjusted or something that you needed to turn the crank manualy, you should always retorque the crank pully bolt after ur done. Thats usually what it is. Always use a torque wrench to do it to and set it to the proper lb/ft.

cocoabrova
06-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
Hey, Cocoa, if u had your valves adjusted or something that you needed to turn the crank manualy, you should always retorque the crank pully bolt after ur done. Thats usually what it is. Always use a torque wrench to do it to and set it to the proper lb/ft.

Silverhill did my valve adj. right after they put my new block in... :banghead: :banghead: I talked to 'em today and they're going to replace the crank pulley, bolt, key and the labor will be covered under warranty. But I'm also getting them to do my timing belt at the same time since they're already up in there. they said it looked like someone beat the bolt with a phucking hammer!! Now I won't be able to ride Aaliyah (that's her name BTW:love: :rofl: ) 'till Monday/Tuesday...... :( :thumbsdow

legendboy
06-14-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
Aaliyah (that's her name BTW:love: :rofl: ) :thumbsdow

:love: awww.....dats so sweet...:love:

cocoabrova
06-14-2002, 07:19 PM

:love: awww.....dats so sweet...:love:

And what's YOUR car's name??:thumbsup:

legendboy
06-14-2002, 07:32 PM
"The Blue Smoke Slow Poke":(

cocoabrova
06-14-2002, 07:34 PM

awww.....dats so sweet... ..:rofl:

Hey are you coming out to SS tonight??:thumbsup:

legendboy
06-14-2002, 07:45 PM
if I can convince my girl that she would have fun:banghead:

turboMiata
06-14-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by GothicSmurf
you talking about the bolt that connects your belt connecter to your crankshaft?

the bolt is supposed to be toruqued to well over a hundred ft lbs

my suggestion, take the timing belt cover off, get socket on there, hold the crank wheel as steady as possible, then just kinda jerk the bolt tight, like hit your wratchet with a rubber mallet

and who said mechanics 30 was useless :confused:

oh yeah, gpomp

If you do that, you can overthighten it, causing too much stress on the bolt and even shearing the mutha right off(not to mention you'll never get it off). I'd always refer to a shop manual for the right torque settings and use a proper torque wrench to tighten it. Your mechanics probably got lazy and didn't do it. That's why I do all my repairs myself.

Rather take an extra minute to torque the bolt down than have to replace the whole fucking engine or some expensive component.

4wheeldrift
06-15-2002, 08:04 AM

How about "Timing Light Killa"? :nut: Just rubbin' it in, don't mind me :D. I'm hardly on to talk, I did that at the evolution school last year too :burnout:

GothicSmurf
06-15-2002, 02:54 PM
only problem with adjusting the lower crank bolt with a turque wratchet is that its so much easier with a wrench, and plus. the torque on those things are usually 120 + ftlbs, so unless you can create like 150 ft lbs by tapping it with a hammer, its safe