PDA

View Full Version : Need DSM help NOW... Alternator Belt...??

Strider
09-24-2004, 07:22 PM
hmmm... since this didn't get deleted, i'll ask a slightly different question...

my W/P / Alt. belt went on me yesterday, and i finally got to replacing it today... problem now is that it squeaks, makes a burning smell, and the car acts kinda squirrelly when i have the wheel turned...

So what's still wrong?

btw, i'm a newb, so i dont' know proper tension for the belt except for "1/4 inch" slack between pulleys... i dunno if i got that right though, but i've tried tightening it, and retightening it

TIA for any help

Strider
09-25-2004, 03:21 PM
bump for new question

EK 2.0
09-26-2004, 02:36 AM
here goes...

DSM's are plauged with the weirdest issues known to the car world...now one of these issues is that the pulley that the P/S belt rotates off of, is also directly connected to the pulley that the Alt belt runs off of...now this pulley, I have seen in many examples gets bent, and causes un-due stress on the other pulleys and belts...causing squeaking, and burning of belts...it also has been known to throw a belt or two...I very recently had the same issue with Cyclone, but have now fixed it...

As far as tension goes...you have it about correct...make sure that the ension for both the Alt and the P/S belt are correct...as any un-eveness will cause stress to both the car and the driver...

When adjusting the Alt belt tension...make sure you not only are adjusting the top bolt...the 12mm weird one..but have also loosened the nut that holds the bolt at the bottom of the Alternator...as without that one loosened it will not allow the Alt to pivot...

If you need anything else let me know Bro...

Arif.