PDA

View Full Version : Do You Wave to Other Enthusiasts?

max_boost
09-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Just curious, how many of you wave to other drivers who own a vehicle similar to yours?

When I had my S2000, every S2000 owner slowed down to pull up beside me or waved from the other side of the street. I thought that was pretty cool acknowledging each other. I know for some vehicles, not defaming the Civic for example, unless it was modified, you will be waving to everyone! haha

I had quite the encounter the other day. I was just chilling with my gf cruising along, telling her how much I love my 330 etc. When a young Asian guy pulled up beside me in what looked like a brand new Silver Gray M3 (SAme color as my 330). Needless to say, I was like, 'Oh':rofl: I waved to him but he looked at me like, 'My car's cooler than yours' Which was true but that's not the point.

2.0turbo
09-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Somepeople are so rude. Ya one time I was at a set of lights and a mustang pulled up beside me, like a 93 or 94, had rims and nice paint, stock exhaust and more of a riced up mustang as there didn't appear to be and motor mods, anyways I look over at him, look directly at him and give him a head nod like wats up? He just scowled, looks at my stock rims and looks away. Guess he doesn't like ridiculously fast talons.

Other than that incident, I do wave at other talons and make a note of letting people in nice cars know that I think its nice.

86max
09-25-2004, 05:33 PM
For sure man! When appropriate I wave or try to talk to people with similar cars. Occasionally you do get scowled at though, meh.:dunno:

E36M3
09-25-2004, 05:36 PM
I think that when I had the M3 it happened a lot.. a look of recognition, etc. When my girlfriend drove it, she would get hit on by guys in exotics like crazy.

With the GWagen, everyone waves. It is like a UFO.. the SL gets a lot of waves and comments, but never from someone else in one.. if I pull up to an SL500 for example, the other guy will almost never even look over.

The S4 is a pretty anonymous car.. I don't even think I've washed it since I've owned it.. with the number of A4s/S4s around here, I'd be talking to everyone :)

kevie88
09-25-2004, 05:38 PM
I usually wave to the Beyond'ers I see, and vice versa. Other than that, only Nissan people seem to notice my car. I usually get a wave out of the 240 guys.

A G35 guy gave me the thumbs up the other day as well..

On the bike I usually wave at everyone.. It's a bike thing.

Idratherbsidewayz
09-25-2004, 05:43 PM
I don't really wave, but if i see a nice car I'll give a thumbs up. If I see a nice 240 in a parking lot ill go talk to the owner. Everyone's always been pretty friendly, any excuse to talk about cars I guess...

D'z Nutz
09-25-2004, 05:56 PM
When I had my bimmer, other BMW drivers would wave at me or give a thumbsup and I'd return the gesture, but I'd never really initiate it myself. With the BMW, I'd notice I'd get it a lot more from older people than the younger ones.

Team_Mclaren
09-25-2004, 06:01 PM
everyone who drives my car is either a chick or some stupid ricer...:rofl: :( .... dont know if thats a good thing or no...

but if i recongize other beyond cars, i usually do give them a or
:thumbsup: something

GTS Jeff
09-25-2004, 07:20 PM
us 86 drivers usually exchange waves. if i see a car that i _really_ like and both our windows are open, ill usually say sometihng.

Redlyne_mr2
09-25-2004, 07:25 PM
There's always an exchange of waves when I see someone driving an older Porsche. People in newer Porsches generally know nothing about cars and dont even realise that the Porsche family extends beyond the Boxste and the Cayenne. If I spot a gen 2 mr2 drive I generally chase him down and force him to join the OC :rofl:

BumpinTalon
09-25-2004, 07:26 PM
I have an ESi inferiority complex. I can't wave at Talons anymore.

CalgaryB5
09-25-2004, 09:06 PM
I think you should consider other people might come from a different culture than yours. A hand wave can mean nothing to them.

1badPT
09-25-2004, 09:54 PM
They even said to expect it when I bought my car...

GTS Jeff
09-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
They even said to expect it when I bought my car... lol all car salesmen say that kinda dumb shit to make the customers feel good.

Moonracer
09-25-2004, 10:10 PM
I'll say hello and give the thumbs up or give the nod to another G2 integra unless they don't look like an enthusiast. In which case they may be wondering why I'm staring at them...lol

civicluva
09-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
I have an ESi inferiority complex. I can't wave at Talons anymore.

Why not? Your car has more hp than a Civic SI which is the better end Civic. 140hp is pretty good for a 4 CYL.

t-im
09-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I had quite the encounter the other day. I was just chilling with my gf cruising along, telling her how much I love my 330 etc. When a young Asian guy pulled up beside me in what looked like a brand new Silver Gray M3 (SAme color as my 330).

hey u have the same color as me! kudos to good taste..haha if you wave to me i'll wave back..haha :thumbsup:

civic_stylez
09-25-2004, 11:54 PM
i find the jeep guys to be especially friendly and wave...it was a surprise to me because im used to getting glares from all the other civic drivers.... but i give props to the jeep and other 4x4 people.:thumbsup:

Ben
09-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Happens all the time with the vw crowd.

SpeedyZ
09-26-2004, 12:40 AM
If you drive a Z, any z (240,260,280,300,350) generally the driver will wave or give a grin, I find that anyone driving a Z in calgary generally wave at any Z driver :thumbsup:

1badPT
09-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
lol all car salesmen say that kinda dumb shit to make the customers feel good.

Nah I didn't even bring it up - I honestly didn't know there was such a developed owner's club. Its died off somewhat now but I still get waves - just before it was all PT drivers, now its like a 50/50 chance.

Alpine Autowerks
09-26-2004, 01:01 AM
I drive lots of different Porsches (customers) and classic Porsche owners usually wave to each other. air cooled to air cooled only and old water cooled (944 + 928) to each other.

the modern water boxers drivers do not.... Cayane drivers having just come from driving a mini-van try to figure out if you are someone they know and just get confused when you wave.

MM99lude
09-26-2004, 01:02 AM
I find that prelude drivers are usually pretty friendly too. Goes for any gen prelude, they all seem to wanna say hello.

Fluidic
09-26-2004, 01:11 AM
Volkswagen love is pretty genuine. From the moment you step into a VW dealership, the first thing you experience as a customer is a burst of refreshing ideas and changes that you don't normally get when buying and owning an American or Japanese car. After you have taken delivery of you're new VeeDub, you tend to really want to share you're experience with other people -- knowing full well that they felt how you felt after buying a Dub.

So yes. I would say almost every VW driver I wave to, puts the effort into a happy return wave. Yes sometimes I'll wave to an older couple, or perhaps a mother, and I won't get a return wave at all, rather, more of a stare -- but they probably purchased their car from a used Hyundai car lot or something. ;)

ZorroAMG
09-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Happens all the time with W124 owners unless the guy is young, he won't wave if his car is less modded LOL.

The "wave or nod" happens MORE often with newer benz drivers because most have owned a W124 at some point....

gpomp
09-26-2004, 11:21 AM
my car looks too stock for anyone to wave....

EK 2.0
09-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
us 86 drivers usually exchange waves. if i see a car that i _really_ like and both our windows are open, ill usually say sometihng.

werrd...the same goes for DSM drivers...we will praise or ask about the other car if the oppurtunity arises...

no offense to any of the cool Stang owners on beyond, but I find its usually Mustang owners who are the colder ones...

CRXguy
09-26-2004, 11:42 AM
subaru guys here think they're too cool for you or something. when i drove my wrx down to the states, anyone driving a subaru would wave at me.

in the crx, when i see another crx owner, they make it seem like im looking at them to start a race or something. :rofl: :rofl:

Euro_Trash
09-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Thats one of the best parts of having a Corrado. I've heard people say "buying a Corrado is not just buying a car, its entering a cult." Everytime I see another Corrado one of us will do a U-turn and go and chat, and everyone is super nice. Even other VW drivers will wave or nod, had a guy on the way from Edmonton to Calgary pull up next to me in an MK3 Golf, gave me the thumbs up and mouthed "Nice Car" and then we cruised to calgary with a newer Carrera.

Chim
09-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
subaru guys here think they're too cool for you or something. when i drove my wrx down to the states, anyone driving a subaru would wave at me.

in the crx, when i see another crx owner, they make it seem like im looking at them to start a race or something. :rofl: :rofl:

Hehe I've never gotten a wave back from an STi, the WRX and RS's occasionally throw a thumbs up back.

Maybe one day far off in the future, I'll have a STi motor and get a wave back from an STi seeing as how I can actually keep up to be able to see it :D

knees scrapin'
09-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Thats one of the best parts of having a Corrado. I've heard people say "buying a Corrado is not just buying a car, its entering a cult." Everytime I see another Corrado one of us will do a U-turn and go and chat, and everyone is super nice. Even other VW drivers will wave or nod, had a guy on the way from Edmonton to Calgary pull up next to me in an MK3 Golf, gave me the thumbs up and mouthed "Nice Car" and then we cruised to calgary with a newer Carrera.

:werd:

Being a Rado owner is great by itself, but the "cult" status of the car is huge. Even so I still find people asking me what kind of Porsche is it or something. The car is 14 yeqars old and people have still never even heard of it.

When I rip the bike every sport bike gets a nod or a wave. As far as the cruisers I generaly don't wave unless they wave first. Most cruiser guys who have no idea about motorcycles won't wave. The traveling bikers usually will wave. I get the revs and the " lets go nod" from vettes, exotics ect.
Raced a turbo vette the other day and got the thumbs up and a chat out of it. Pretty cool guy.

People that wave to other enthusiasts do not see a vehicle as a means to get from point a to b. Its a symbol representing the journey not the destination.

That.Guy.S30
09-26-2004, 01:24 PM
i used to wave to other jeep owners but only to the modified ones. they use to wave back or even have conversations with me. one of them even asked me to go for coffee.

but now with the subie, i doubt i will wave to anyone. like crxguy said subaru owners think they are hot shit or somethin lol

statick
09-26-2004, 02:07 PM
theres not too many S14 drivers i see on the road, i've seen like 3 on the road. and sumeitmes i'll throw a wave or w/e to s13 owners, but mor ethan half the time they look at me like i was responsible for killing theyre brother or summin.

Khyron
09-26-2004, 02:23 PM
I wave at all bikers (when on mine) and almost always get it back. It's like a rule. :D

In the VW I don't wave much, nor get waved (there's way too many mk4's and the percentage of car nuts is low). But VWs tend to park together which my wife thinks is hilarious. Parked with another Golf in the far corner for a movie, came out and there were 8 or 9 vw and a few audis in that corner. She said "Aw, they had babies".

Khyron

NiteRider
09-26-2004, 02:32 PM
i wave at some cars that i reconize from meets or pics
thats it

Shaolin
09-26-2004, 03:04 PM
I wave only when i'm on the bike, that's the rule. When me and my buddies rode out to Kamloops for a soccer tournament bikers on and off their bikes would wave, it was great..

If I waved in the Integra or the Civic I'd have to keep my hand in the waving motion the whole time.

nismodrifter
09-26-2004, 03:13 PM
:werd: to the veedubz parkin together....had a line of like 4 TDi MK4's here the other day in sask hahaha :D

also, came back to my car today to find a "TDICLUB.com" window card stuck under my wiper :D good to know there are other TDI geeks around :D I only wave/gives thumbs up to modded veedubs and/or if they are in a vw and lookin at my car then I'll give them a thumbs up just because they know that I'm a :bigpimp: ;)

when I used to drive the 300SD a couple years ago I'd usually get waves from other old school (and sometimes new school) benz drivers and I'd return the wave back.

three.eighteen.
09-26-2004, 03:16 PM
couple old dudes in e36s given the "yeah, i know what's up" nod back to me

abyss
09-26-2004, 03:30 PM
I look at EVERY single Maxima that I pass that's the same generation as mine, I have yet to see 1 with a driver my age.:cry:

AHHH, I drive an old people car!!!

Euro_Trash
09-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Yea thats the best part about VW enthusiasts, everyone is pretty friendly. I will for sure go out of my way to park next to another VW or talk to a VW owner. I get dissapointed if they don't want to talk.

ninjak84
09-26-2004, 05:03 PM
I don't mind returning a friendly wave, or a nod. But it's the fucking homo's who roll down their windows and start to talk that I can't stand. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't ask retard questions.

"How fast is it?"
"What's done to it?"

Now I just look over, force a polite smile, and hit the "window up" button.

A_3
09-26-2004, 05:09 PM
If it's a really nice car i'll usually flash the thumbs up. Never got a bad response, mostly friendly smiles and waves back. It's a good excuse if you get caught with a staring problem. If it's a good buddy I'll usually give him the finger... sometimes doesn't go over so well, expecially when you are driving 40k through your neighborhood you see a red prelude like ryder23's and you decide to finger him out the window only on closer expection to find out it's some old chick who's looks VERY confused :D

ryder_23
09-26-2004, 05:13 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAH

i always wave to that old lady, and she always waves back, but, BAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

I love those ones, when you go to wave at someone who u think it is, but turns out to be someone else...:rofl:

Meh, i feel us prelude enthusiats are fairly friendly, always waving or saying hi. I dont initiate much, but the odd wave or head knod does the trick

Hakkola
09-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Happens all the time with W124 owners unless the guy is young, he won't wave if his car is less modded LOL.

The "wave or nod" happens MORE often with newer benz drivers because most have owned a W124 at some point....

:rofl:

I've met some pretty nice people with w124's, lots of people look at me like I'm a dealer or something though because I look 17.

illeagle
09-26-2004, 07:34 PM
I do the 'nod'

habsfan
09-26-2004, 07:39 PM
if i see a nice car ill give a thumbs up but i usually get confused stares back because im driving around in a camry :nut:

Johnny C
09-27-2004, 03:01 PM
I'll usually wave back to the ladies.

QuasarCav
09-27-2004, 03:16 PM
I saw my "twin" in Vancouver. I thought it was pretty cool because you dont see many 1st gen integras in the first place let alone a gold one with a bodykit. I waved at him and pointed at his car. He opened his window and I said "we're twins" He fingered me and gunned it through traffic.

I dont know what that was all about but most other people are good with it.

I find the SRT-4 drivers are more than willing to rev it up on demand:burnout: :burnout:

hampstor
09-27-2004, 10:07 PM
I usually get waves and wave to fellow spec v owners, especially if they drive yellow ones :D

NickGT
09-27-2004, 10:27 PM
I get the thumbs up from fellow GT/Cobra owners once and awhile, but the V6 Mustang owners just sit there and :drool: over what they should have bought :burnout:

NiteRider
09-27-2004, 10:29 PM
in my encounters
other members seem like they are too cool to notice you or wave

dieselpower91
09-28-2004, 01:44 AM
I usually give the nod or thumbs to nice muscle or classics or some other cars I like...
some of the old guys just give me a snotty look because My car isn't perfect, but then there are the ones who are happy to see a young guy in an old muscle car.

I find the 4x4 guys will usually give the rockon or :thumbsup:
I have a lot of people stare at my car when cruising.

20incheyes
09-28-2004, 09:58 AM
not too many of my ride around town and when I do see one it's always a upper-middle aged woman with a big smile which I won't nothing to do with. But when I see a hottie driving in her benz or someone like Stephen Ames or Dave Bronco I always wave outta control.

JAYMEZ
09-28-2004, 12:26 PM
I wave to all the subaru guys , they usually wave back

QuasarCav
09-28-2004, 12:38 PM
I was thinking about this on my way home. Most of the older guys appreciate being told they have a nice car. They give you a thumbs up or rev the engine a little bit.

Isn't that what being a car enthusiast is all about? Sharing your love of fine cars with others that feel the same way. It's a connection between the car and the person that makes us so happy, why not give buddy beside you a friendly nod.

ehos
09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
In the MR2: I get waves and wave back (even if they're kids).

In the Eclipse: No one waves. But everyone gawks and stares (grr).

In the Aircooled VW: People look, some scoff, but only other ACVW's wave :)

On the crotch Rocket: Only other guys on rockets wave. Harley dudes NEVER FUCKING WAVE. What's up with that? Why the hate? Bikes is bikes!

finboy
09-28-2004, 01:20 PM
never have in any of my cars :dunno:

once in the daytona, but then the guy driving the other daytona almost smashed into another car.

tjtd00
09-28-2004, 02:30 PM
when i had my 01' lude a dude pulled up in a s2k, he complimented my ride then we had a unspoken race, he kicked my ass but we were crusin till the next light and he gave me the thumbs u that was cool

403Gemini
09-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by ehos
In the MR2: I get waves and wave back (even if they're kids).

In the Eclipse: No one waves. But everyone gawks and stares (grr).

In the Aircooled VW: People look, some scoff, but only other ACVW's wave :)

On the crotch Rocket: Only other guys on rockets wave. Harley dudes NEVER FUCKING WAVE. What's up with that? Why the hate? Bikes is bikes!

dunno why but i find most harley dudes look down at speed bikes :dunno: makes no sense to me

haha i find people take it as an insult or they think im being a shit when i say they have a nice car. must be cause i own a domestic or something haha. i told a guy in an accord that his car looked sweet and hes like "yea well its much faster than your fuckin piece of shit" i was baffled. i was like "yea... i know" just laughed and put my window back up. some peeps take compliments the wrong way. a dude in a nice mercedes sl the other day smiled and gave me the thumbs up back when i gave him the :thumbsup:

yea older dudes in nice cars are cool haha high school kids in rice rockets are dumbasses haha

JustinL
09-28-2004, 03:50 PM
I agree with redlyne and Alpine, the watercooled Porsches will wave (944, 928) almost 100% of the time. Those friggin guys in Bosxters and 911s don't even look at us. I've been waved at by one Boxster and I was too shocked to return the wave.

On the bike, I wave to other sportbike riders and I'll return a wave to cruisers if they wave first. Strangely, I get more looks and little kids pointing on the bike than in the car.

I don't know how you VW guys can keep up. At any busy intersection I can usually count atleast 3 VWs.

cartuner
09-28-2004, 04:47 PM
i wave/nod or chat to anyone that has put some time and money into a car. the older guys (lol im34 myself) in the cool hot rods are usually the best conversations cauze are cars are worlds apart but yet the same...ie:customized cars. the only negativitey i get (after i took my spiler off lol ) is typically from people with stock cars . geuss they cant or dont want to understand why anyone would want to spend money on a car especially a mazda protege!
:)

Chim
09-28-2004, 04:57 PM
When I first got my car, I got a compliment from someone at a gas station. He said "nice sooby" or something like that, but I didn't know he was talking to me because I was used to driving an old POS K car :D

DonJuan
09-30-2004, 02:09 PM
I've meen waved at usually by other s14's and also approached in parking lots by hot girls, asking about the liscence plate. I will ALWAYS wave back when I 've been waved at (or whatever acknowledgement) but I don't initiate the waving as some people are asses.

freakin
10-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
I'll say hello and give the thumbs up or give the nod to another G2 integra unless they don't look like an enthusiast. In which case they may be wondering why I'm staring at them...lol

I thought you were hitting on me, hehe. J/K Sandino.

I usually give a nod as well, but it depends on the other driver. If they look like they could care less, then why bother.

My integra is a pretty common car, so it's not a big deal, but when I used to drive lowrider trucks all the time, I'd get a lot of waves, thumbs up, and people comming up to me. Usually people with custom trucks and the hot rod guys. When I had my baged Suburban, I'd find people checking out the suspension in the parking lot all the time.

The worst are the dumb questions/comments though. 'Why would you do that to a truck?', 'hey, did something break?', 'I think you've got a flat tire.' etc.

C4S
10-01-2004, 01:51 PM
I usually smile .. to other nice cars driver .. :)

They smile to me too .. and wave sometimes.

legendboy
10-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Waving to strangers is kinda ghey. Driving an integra, if I waved at other integra owners I'd have carpal tunnel :rofl:

Raz
10-06-2004, 10:28 AM
heh, I wave to other guys driving beat up old 4wd tercels :)

- Rasmus

Phy
10-06-2004, 01:11 PM

My guess is, either they're Rich Urban Bikers who just bought their Fat Boy two weeks ago and don't know to wave, or they're lookin' at you riding a sportbike and they're thinkin' "Squiddy." BTW, what d'ya ride?

Probe drivers never wave, it seems - the only one I ever got was in Edmonton.

200SXers seem pretty rare around these parts, and I've only had the car a couple weeks anyways - if you have one, and you see someone waving, it'll prolly be me. :D

My brother's got a DSM, tho - he's already run into the "unofficial club." Thought that was pretty cool for him.

bspot
10-06-2004, 02:43 PM
I drive a domestic, so I get laughed at by other enthusiasts :(

SmAcKpOo
10-06-2004, 04:39 PM
i wave to to people who drive the new SiR's thats about it. most dont wave back actually. only the younger people do.

CelicaST-162
10-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Any vehicles that are not Pathfinders or Supra's I tend to flip the bird. Now if they are, I give them a wave and turn around and follow them to their house to get some parts!:D :burnout:

guessboi
10-07-2004, 07:12 PM
people who drives my sx pretend they don't see me or something. I am like WTF..."my car is bright yellow"

other than that, there still not much of my car on the street and I still get compliment from other drivers...
ah...one thing, I give suzuki bikes a :thumbsup: on the street....they are more friendly. :clap:

rio_rex
10-08-2004, 03:08 PM
I only wave if the other person looks like an enthusiest...otherwise they will wonder why this guy with a pos crx is waving to them:nut:

Tilly
10-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Waves are cool, but unfortunately us neon owners don't get much respect - even if we give it. I guess that's why they call us Resilient in many respects.

I'd have to say VW guys take advantage of this most.