View Full Version : Engine Oil Problem

hingkit
06-13-2002, 10:04 PM
Okay,
- We have a 98 corolla here.
- It has 30k city miles.
- Lady driven
- 20-30 km per day

I recently noticed that there was no engine oil in that car. It wasn't too long since the last oil change either. After further investigation, there was a bit of black smoke coming from exahust and the pipe was really dirty . . . .

I cleaned everything off and had the car checked by toyota, they said they couldn't find any problems . . . bastards charged me 150 just to check, they gave stupid BS reasons why its not coved by warantee and I didn't bother to argue . . .

So now I ran the car approx 400km after a new oil change. The oil level seems to have droped . . . 1/5th maybe . . . not quite 1/4 . . . .

my question is . . . . . does the engine oil dissapear after such short distance. I accumulated these 400km in one week.
Any suggestions or "constructive" comments??

Madmax
06-13-2002, 10:35 PM
OK you should not burn that much oil for only 400KM! But first have you look at the level of oil! After that you can drive your car for a while and look the oil level! If it does drop, well something os wrong man. Either it leaks or it's burning oil (which is not good). For about 5000KM, if I do remember correctly, if it's burning more than 1L, it anormal.

If you can prove that it's burning oil and the car is under warantee still they should refund you.

Buy the way don't trust the mechanic that changed your oil (This is from my experience as a mechanic). Look at the level yourself in the morning when the car is cold, and go from there.

Help that will help you!

legendboy
06-13-2002, 10:42 PM
Don't forget to let ur car sit for about 2 mins after u shut it off before u check the oil.

speedracer
06-14-2002, 01:15 AM
I would also park in a new spot and in the morning check to see if there is oil deposits on the floor.

If not than it may be a head gasket, or a leak in the oil sensor... (there are many reason but these are the common ones that I have dealt with)

Argh - just spent a gruling 2 hours trying to get my altenator bolt to line up so I can bolt it. :dunno: No idea how the nut came off so the bolt has been sliding out.

Now I have to wake up early and go to the dealer to have them do it :( I hate it when someone else works on the car. I also hope they actually torque the belts to spec after...... :banghead:

redline
06-14-2002, 08:55 AM
For honda and most other car manufactors a 1 litre every thousand km is spec.

Now was the engine completely out of oil? As in the oil light came on?

lets start with that and go from there.

G
06-14-2002, 09:28 AM
Check your radiator fluid to make sure there is no oil in it. My old car had a bad head gasket and the oil ended up going into the radiator fluid.

RiceCake
06-14-2002, 11:03 AM
hmm... damn that's low kms on that corolla....

usually if its losing that much oil the burning oild part would be very evident, you'll usually see a thick cloud of black or blue smoke coming out when u accelerate from first and so on. also if it is burning that bad, you caar should be smoking at idle..

I had a camry that burnt oil after 360 xxx kms, and smoke was very evident but the level wouldn't drop as much in your case.

I think it'd be a good idea to check the radiator and the ground at which you park at. Those could be indicating where the oil is going.

Toyota only offers 3 yr or 60 000kms warrenty so i guess a 98 being 4 yrs old kinda leaves you hooped.

good luck tho in finding the problem :)

speedracer
06-14-2002, 11:11 AM
You could try Duralube and tell us if it actually works :rofl:
(Note: Incase you actually do - Don't I'm kidding)

It stopped my winter beater from eating oil and I happy with that and think of the added benefit if I run out of oil:nut:

hingkit
06-14-2002, 10:30 PM
hey . .

- warantee shoudl be 60months, 100km I believe. . . .

- there was very very very little oil left . . . the light did not turn on apparently . . . .

- no leaks or oil on the floor left by the car

- no black fumes no more . . but when I found out there were black fumes

- Haven't checked radiator yet . .

- is it possible that the air filter is dirty thus drawing oil to compensate for the lack of air . . . (suggested by toyota) . . .

thx for the responses, will check with toyota on monday . .

turboMiata
06-14-2002, 11:07 PM
Here are a few things to check:

- If you are burnig oil, the smoke should be BLUE, not black.
- If your head gasket is shot or head cracked (both unlikely) then you'll see oil in the radiator. In this case, you'll see white smoke coming out of your exhaust
- Black smoke is symptomatic of incomplete burning or a rich fuel situation.

- When checking the oil levels, I usually do it when the engine is cold because if you check it after it has run for a while, a significant amount could still be in the head.

I have no clue how the hell a dirty air filter could cause more oil to be drawn in to compensate. The lubrication system should never come into contact with charge air (unless you have a bad PCV valve but loss from that is negligible). Unless you have a 2-stroke engine (lawn mower) in your Toyota, only fuel should come into contact with air.

Hope this helps. I am no mechanic but you might want to get a second opinion from one.

hingkit
06-15-2002, 06:14 PM
update ::

- After 500km half of the engine oil is gone.
- No visible leaks.
- Black smoke can be seen from the exahust on "HIGH RPM"

conclusion:: broken. . . .

legendboy
06-15-2002, 06:19 PM
Black smoke is fuel, which is normal. Has to be headgasket, but if its not overheating or running rough......who knows, just make sure u leave the car for at least 2 mins after u shut it off before u check the oil. What kind of oil are u using?

hingkit
06-15-2002, 06:45 PM
hmmm black smoke on high rpm is normal?????

oil for summer, was replaced just a week ago at canadian tire.

legendboy
06-15-2002, 07:14 PM
1st Rule of owning a car..........Never-Never-Never take ur car to canadian tire for any reason.
Maybe they put 20w50 or something like that in, who knows with thoes guys....

B18C
06-15-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by redline
For honda and most other car manufactors a 1 litre every thousand km is spec.

Really? That seems like a lot. I never burn like any oil.

redline
06-15-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by B18C

yep

but i say the engine is done. take it to the dealer for warrenty

hingkit
06-15-2002, 10:16 PM
the major problem is that toytoa is being a bitch about it and says we need to prove that we followed the maintence schedule. I think my parents did do that with that car . . . . but i'm sure they dont' have reciepts . . . i'm sure after some #@$#@ we can work something out . . .

RiceCake
06-16-2002, 04:04 AM
it depends a lot on where you take the car for service...

usually when i'm still in warrenty territory it would be best to take it to the dealer itself or a certified toyota shop, just to save hastles for later... also best to keep the maintenance at the same chain or dealer because most records will be on computer and they can print you out a maintence record of the times and kilos you brought your car in at.

:) that or demand to talk to the head of the toyota dealership you bought your corolla from... ha since its summer it can't be that hard to find people to protest or boycott a certain dealership :D :rolleyes: :D

RiceCake
06-16-2002, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by B18C

w3rd... never had an oil burning problem except for the old camry that had over 390K kms on it... most cars we have have been service well and taken care of. :thumbsup:

turboMiata
06-16-2002, 09:33 AM
MayBe you need new rings. have the compression checked on your car. From the sounds of things, I think your dealer is not Being the most cooperative. I would try visiting another dealer and see if they are Better.

good luck, But don't give up hope yet. the solution could Be a simple one.