PDA

View Full Version : HELP! engine is having some troubles!!

GTS Jeff
09-26-2004, 07:32 PM
argh! can u guys help me out with some suggestions please?

as my gf and i were driving out for a nice walk down the rivervalley, the car started acting up.

1. the car would hesitate and stutter while the revs climbed and the revs climbed a lot slower. the problem would go away for a minute or so, then come back for another minute or so.

2. the idle would dip down to 400-500rpm and its really bumpy, as if the car were trying hard to maintain a proper idle and something was stopping it. then suddenly the idle would be fine. then it would do the weird thing again.

3. when i mash on the gas, sometimes it winds up really quick, sometimes the revs climb a little slower, and sometimes the revs dont make it past 3k and stutter and hesitate like mad.

the only work ive done recently is changed the spark plugs, adjusted the TPS, and set the timing. the car was running smooth and the best its ever been for about a week and BAM now this. there are no CEL codes either.

any ideas guys?

Weapon_R
09-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Try unpluging your o2 sensor. The car will run on the ECU predetermined maps and you can pinpoint the problem.

Next, check to see if your TPS sensor has come loose. This once happened to me and the idle was similar to your problem.

GTS Jeff
09-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Try unpluging your o2 sensor. The car will run on the ECU predetermined maps and you can pinpoint the problem.

Next, check to see if your TPS sensor has come loose. This once happened to me and the idle was similar to your problem. hm the tps is on fine and adjusted properly and the o2 sensor is bypassed at wot. (the issue got worse when i tried mashing the gas)

JeremyD
09-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Faulty Ignition coil? I had a similar problem with my car and that is what it turned out to be.

DonJuan
09-27-2004, 09:44 AM
are your plugs gapped correctly? maybe a loose plug wire? or a bad wire?

GTS Jeff
09-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by JeremyD
Faulty Ignition coil? I had a similar problem with my car and that is what it turned out to be.

i have spark, so i dont tihnk thats it.

Originally posted by DonJuan
are your plugs gapped correctly? maybe a loose plug wire? or a bad wire?

i dont think its that because an engine will still run on 3 cylinders. mine quit completely today.

im guessing fuel pump cuz i cant hear it at all. anyone know how to test a fuel pump?

camador
09-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi im new in this forum, I have the same problem the recent change on my motor was bosch platinum spark plugs (5 weeks ago), i thought probably was the fuel filter clogged or failing fuel pump, but How to test fuel pump ?:dunno:

I´m planning a few mods on my 87 Fx16 so sugestions accepted.
engine is a 1st gen 4AGE Twin Cam 16 valves 1587 cc (Stock)

see ya

three33
09-28-2004, 07:30 AM
i would say its your fuel filter....go buy one and see if its that...same thing happened to my brothers car...

CelicaST-162
09-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Check your dizzy cap and the rotor, then move onto to check the intake accordian hose ( if theres cracks in it) the engine will get unmetered air which will make it act up that way. Then check your timing on the belt as well as the distributor.

rage2
09-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Check hoses. A loose hose after the air meter will cause the symptoms you've described as well.

camador
09-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Ok guys, I´ll try to check these points and tell you later how my car is goin on....
:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
09-28-2004, 08:16 PM
alright, so ive gone over just about everything and narrowed it down to the fuel pump. i have a friend replacing the fuel pump for me (hes done it before on his corolla).

crazy thing is that the fuel pump worked when it was taken out of the car, then when it was reinstalled back into the car, a fuse blew, but the car ran after the fuse was replaced. weird!

anyway, now that the fuel pump is out, a new one is going in.