PDA

View Full Version : steps to adding boost

TypeS
09-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Hey there, I've got an S13 on order from japan right now (first turbo car), just doing research on turbo's in general.
I will eventually want to increase the boost from stock, its a guy thing I guess:drool: but i've learned from a buddies mistakes and would like to know all the parts that should be upgraded to take the abuse. someone i talked to said pistons and fuel injectors are key, i'm just wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences with raising boost from stock levels.
any comments welcome

240ssx
09-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Ya man. I'm new too for a turbo car. just got a S12 with stock turbo so ya tips and tricks would help us both out great. and good luck with your project "TypeS" :D

245gti
09-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Initially, fuel, or lack of, will be your biggest enemy, particularly when starting with a stock engine. As you add boost, you need to add fuel. Larger injectors will flow more fuel providing your ecu will compensate properly. Perhaps a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to compensate for positive manifold pressure working against the injectors. A Wideband O2 sensor will tell you where you are in terms of a/f ratio and that is probably your most important piece of information. Go lean at 15psi and this conversation is moot:cry:

Depending on what kind of boost you intend to run, you may need to change some internals. I know Volvo engines are pretty tough and will tolerate substantial boost provided you add sufficient fuel, but I can't speak for any of the Japanese imports.

Hope that helps....

Dale

Redlyne_mr2
09-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Standalone, let that be your first mod

Idratherbsidewayz
09-26-2004, 09:14 PM
CA18DET or SR20DET?

Emanage was my first mod. I don't regret it at all...

On the S13's the fuel pump is not very adequate. With an intercooler and fuel pump you're good up to 11-12psi. It starts leaning out at this point (Not enough fuel to air, possible detonation). Don't do internals unless you plan to get past 350-400whp...

CelicaST-162
09-26-2004, 09:18 PM
your first mod should be research! research and research!!! Can't just count on some forum replies! No offense but it's the noobs that dont research that spend more $$$$. But for BPU's, do injectors, manual or electronic boost controller, fuel cut defender, hard pipes, intake, downpipe..you would be surprised how much extra power and boost youll gain with these BPU's!

TypeS
09-26-2004, 10:11 PM
thanks to everyone so far that has replied...amazing support in this city!
240SSX nice grab on the S12, im planning on getting one of those too for a winter car so i can have a silvia pair! would like to see yours sometime!
as for the powerplant it's a CA18DET